CAV Canada

In the Summer of 2010, I gave Ian the first half down payment for his suspension parts. It was promised to be delivered by October of that year. He asked me if I could give him the second half as delivery of my parts were to be on time. After many months of emails and phone calls with one excuse after another, in the spring of 2011, he sent me some checks to repay the money I gave him for the parts. All of the checks bounced. I then asked for the parts as another forum member received his thinking that at least I could get something for my dollars. Well, the same excuses have arisen, parts promised and not delivered. He is now not responding to emails.

I am frustrated as the time to get parts is a year past rediculous with what appeared to be a solid and revered forum supporter. I have told him over the last year that I would let the forum know what has happened with with a response of lip service to keep me quiet.

Sorry Ian, it has gone on way too long and my patience is past spent.

I hope that you will be aware of him and not spend the thousands of dollars as I did with nothing to show for it.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Re: Beware Ian CAV

Hi All, It's important to respond to Tom's comments because he certainly deserves better service from me. There is no way to spin doctor or candy coat the fact I have let him down. Tom and I spoke today and will have the matter resolved by sending out the parts ASAP.

I know first hand, as no doubt many of you too, what's it's like to not get what's ordered. There is a difference between unconscionable delay and nerver going to get the product or money back. That doesn't allay the frustration all the same.

Without going into specifics, it's fair to say the past couple of years have been brutal for business, from multinational conglomerates to the corner store. Last year I took a hit that many people would have called it a day on. I did not, there are customer commitments to live up to.

This forum is dedicated to the owners and enthisiasts of all manners of GT40s. As such it's a narrow niche, one that has proven to be too small in the land of polar bears and short summers, therefore CAV MotorSports Parts will continue to be available along with new products and services being added to broaden the mix and grow our specialty business.

Through many years and hundreds of posts on the GT40s Forum I have strived to offer quality parts and share my knowledge. The GT40 replica is not unlike the original car in that it's a deceptively challenging car to get right. I look forward to continuing the same with every effort possible to restore supply times and your confidence.

Sincerely

Ian S. Clark
CAV Canada Motorsports Inc.
[email protected]
905 536 6429

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Ian --

You've been both an inspiration and a direct source of knowledge and support for me in putting together my Superformance GT40, and it's a competitor to you! If by any chance your product line broadening might include accessories, fixes, upgrades, etc. applicable to my car (and I think I've been pretty clear about the need for those) I will be first in line.

Hey, I just wanted to give an update. It's been two weeks and nothing. No phone calls or emails from Ian about how things are going toward getting me either money or parts.

Very sorry to hear of your differences with Ian here Tom.

I believe we both ordered the same parts (front/rear uprights) from Ian around the same time. I did receive the parts from Ian within a few months and they were very nicely made parts. Definitely a big improvement over the cast uprights, and the workmanship was first rate. It's obvious these fabricated uprights require a LOT of skill and time to build. And, my CAV drives noticeably better with these parts, really very, very good.

Hoping Ian gets you your parts quickly and without further delay or concerns. You will be impressed for sure when you see them, and even more so when you're driving on them!

Almost 2 years is a long time. I know what this is like. I have been screwed way too many times to count in the car hobby, racing. It is my experience that you will never see the parts or the funds. If a vendor needs the funds before making the product they are just robbing you to pay the next person, or in your case maybe you actually paid for someone elses parts & he is simply waiting for another person to purchase parts & then he will start making yours...

Update:

It's been a month since my last update so I thought I would share what has happened. I did receive a phone call from a 3rd party that said they would help Ian in this issue.

To date, Nothing Has Happened. 3rd party going to step up hasn't called, updated, or gotten me parts since initial phone call. In a bit, with things going status quo, I'll share the call I received and the relationship.

Come on Ian, make it right here for Tom. It's not too late. Other than this incident you have a very good reputation.

Having seen your parts, and installed them on my car, I know how much time consuming workmanship goes into these parts. They are very, very nicely made and the fit and finish is wonderful. I suspect you've been a bit derailed by the trials and tribulations of life somehow, but your reputation is everything.

Just make some progress on the parts every day/night. After some days and weeks you'll have them done and shipped to Tom and this will just be a minor deviation from your usual high standards of customer interaction.

Summer driving season is coming up here in Washington State - get the bits out to Tom and all will be well.

Cheers.

Ron Earp

Admin

According to Ian's public profile he hasn't logged into the site in almost three months. I suspect if any of you wish to communicate with him on the matter you'll need to pursue another avenue of discussion.

Ron

I talked with CAV last week and Ian is not connected with them at all he apparently sold one CAV many years ago and that was it.
Alan

Where in Canada is he? I can send my boys round for you and if they cant get the money, parts or goods to value, then ...........................

I now understand that he never was a distributer for CAV and he took on the name for credibility, which is now shot. He has left a lot of people hanging. This does not mean that he isn't a brilliant engineer, just a bad businessman.

Someone else have taken my parts to weld them together, put in the bearings and have them powdercoated. At least that is what I have been told.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

I now understand that he never was a distributer for CAV and he took on the name for credibility, which is now shot. He has left a lot of people hanging. This does not mean that he isn't a brilliant engineer, just a bad businessman.

Someone else have taken my parts to weld them together, put in the bearings and have them powdercoated. At least that is what I have been told.

The CAV website, for many years, certainly seemed to indicate that Ian WAS a distributor. Valid concerns and issues raised here should not be compromised by mis-information and conjecture, IMHO.

Attachments

• CAV website dated 2008.jpg
    CAV website dated 2008.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 625
Back