Ian Clark

I will not go into the problems and challenges that I have had with Ian as a quick search would prove that out.

After getting my parts, There were some things that needed to be ironed out. Ian has been a great help. He has been available each time I needed to contact him for clarification of the installation of some of the parts and just for proper set up.

Thank you Ian. :thumbsup:

Tom

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I sent my car to Ian last spring for a laundry list of mechanical things I wanted done on my GTD40. Some were things I never found the time to address, and some I felt were beyond my abilities. When he evaluated the car Ian politely told me that the suspension setup was a complete mess. The geometry wasn't correct, things were binding and he said that he wasn't surprised when I told him I always felt nervous driving it. He suggested converting the old GTD standard set-up to fully adjustable Heim joints, along with some other changes to mounting points etc. He gave me an estimate that I think was very reasonable. Work progressed slightly slower than I expected, but Ian knew I was looking for a proper job, not a fast one. I dolled money out as work progressed and as photos documenting the process came in. I paid the balance when I picked up the car.

When it was finished, I asked what he thought. Ian said "you won't believe you're driving the same car". I assumed it was typical engineer hyperbola but was looking forward to seeing for myself and set off with my trailer to his shop (some 6 hours away).

When I first saw the car I was struck by the stance. It finally seemed to LOOK like a GT40 should. I got in and literally within 50 feet in his shop parking lot I could tell the car had been transformed. Out on the open road I was even more impressed. The car was unimaginably (compared to previous) compliant and predictable. Crossing rail tracks didn't cause the steering wheel to be ripped from my hand and going over small bumps no longer caused spine damage. I came back and thanked and commended Ian for the excellent job he did. It was well worth what I paid and then some, probably a lot more. The quality of the engineering, workmanship and detail was excellent, and I now have a GT40 that is as comfortable to drive in as my stock Pantera is. Thanks Ian.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2742LR.jpg
    IMG_2742LR.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2681LR.jpg
    IMG_2681LR.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC_0028LR.jpg
    DSC_0028LR.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 444
Mark, WOW, your car does look great. The stance is spot on especially at the rear where many replicas (like mine) seem to ride higher then the originals. Can you post a before and after photo of the car for comparison. I'm real happy to hear Ian is still hard at it. He was always willing to help me too when I first purchased my CAV.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The stance wasn't terrible to start with but the car ran on smaller tires so it didn't look quite right. Part of the work Ian did was fitting the Vintage Wheels adapters so I could mount my new pin-drive wheels. That would (should) have been a "simple" task except that my car had US Ford front hubs and Euro Ford (metric) rear hubs and non-matching bolt patterns. The previous wheels had been "modified" for fit, but not all that safely. Fitting the metric adapters required disassembling the rear suspension, removing the studs, weld-filling the holes, re-drilling for the proper US Ford pattern, rebalancing the whole thing and making it all work. Easy to describe, but more complicated than I wanted to tackle with my time/skills and local contacts.

Mark

Attachments

• GTD09988_sideA.jpg
    GTD09988_sideA.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 374
  • GTD09988_sideB.jpg
    GTD09988_sideB.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 355
Back