Holley Products

After having 2 gerotor Holley fuel pumps fail on my GT40 plus 1 red pump fail on my Lotus, all in less than a year, I've had it with Holley Chinese junk. When the gerotor shaft seals fail fuel runs out the weephole making a nice fire hazard. Contacting Holley does no good as their warranties are now only 90 days and they just don't care. Bought a Carter (U.S. made and 1 year warranty) pump. In addition ditched my Holley Avenger carb for a Quick Fuel one 2 years ago. Holley should be ashamed to still be manufacturing a non adjustable performance carb. Big company that doesn't care selling Chinese junk.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I agree that Holley seems to have lost touch with the mainstream of the performance car market. I feel that their products are inferior considering the newer offerings on the market. There must be a niche for them in the market, and I can empathize with that market because of the seemingly high costs of the recent arrivals, but IMHO you get what you pay for and Holley seems to have settled in at the bottom of the price/longevity pool.

Their fuel pumps must be the worst....my Cobra replica has a Mallory pump and filter, they seem to be quite durable and I have never have problems with them...yet.

A 90 day warranty sounds very much like Ford...I once spent more than $500 to replace the A/C condenser in an '85 T-Bird with a Ford part, because I believed that the factory part would be superior to any of the cheaper alternatives. At about 4 months it developed a leak...guess who refused to replace it because they only offered a 90 day warranty....yep.

I'm a Ford fan, through and through, and the "classic" cars I covet are almost ALL Ford products...but they don't build them like they use to...and apparently neither does Holley. Buy American...the most recent Kit Car Builder magazine has a good article regarding fuel pumps, it's worth a read. Lots of great options out there...none of whom seemed to be Holley, though.

Cheers, and better luck with your next purchase!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Sadly as have many companies, Holley is living on a reputation earned many years ago....and they have squandered that with the recent products they are selling.

The electric fuel pumps have a half life just shorter than a cicada. The carbs have been renown lately for porous castings and poor machining.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry to hear of the gerotor pump failures.. I've not had the same luck myself - actually they've worked out well.

On the casting issues.. Yes, they had a problem for a half-dozen years or so ending a couple of years ago. Supposedlythey have addressed the issues and brought the casting back on-shore and inhouse from what I had read somewhere..
I think one of the key problems is the use of zinc in the castings (normal) but the advent of gasahol (10% ethanol) that they have at most pumps these days, the fuel has a tendancy to draw moisture from the air and it sets up a corrosive mix that literally eats the casting.
Holley had a plating or anodizing process that was supposedly going to seal the castings and that failed miserably as the plating would start flaking off after the corrosion started..

I don't know what they did to actually fix the casting process - but their seems to be fewer reported failures now..

I'll second the pump failures. I've watched two of them fail on a friend's car that gets driven less than 150 miles a year. You'd watch a steady drip of gas appear from under the car as soon as the pump fired up. He and I will never touch Holley pumps again- not worth the risk.

Back