A GT40 Purchase Story; Great People Do Exist

I have a story that will certainly be of interest to forum members. I have been seeking a GT40 since I let a great deal escape me two years ago on a 2006 Ford GT. I searched the internet and with a little luck came upon GT40s.com. I spent many hours enjoying the openness and true spirit of camaraderie shown by many members of the forum. Then about two weeks ago, I saw the posting for just the car I had been looking for.

Cliff Beer had just put his CAV GT up for sale. I sought out many of the past posts that Cliff had been involved in which gave me a very good deal of insight into just how much time and effort Cliff had invested in making his CAV an excellent driver. Didn't take me long to decide it was the car for me. The really interesting part of the story comes next.

Cliff and I corresponded over the course of a couple of days, mainly via emails but a couple of calls as well. On Thursday night a week ago, I told Cliff that I wanted to buy his car but that I wanted to check out another members RF GT40 located close to me in Michigan. Tim Sprung was generous with his time and met me at his home to allow me the opportunity to check out his 40 and even get a brief ride. I was hooked! I emailed Cliff to confirm my intent to purchase on Friday evening and he asked me to arrange shipping but he was not concerned over the wiring of funds until the following week.

I want to make a very clear point here of the honesty and trust that Cliff showed to me, a person who had only exchanged emails and a couple of phone calls. Cliff's actions are what I found refreshingly astounding, worthy of praise and I wanted to share that with the forum members.

Friday evening around 7pm EDT I contracted with Reliable Carriers to transport the CAV for me from Seattle to Michigan. I sent the confirmation to Cliff Saturday morning when I got it from Reliable. WITHOUT RECEIVING ANY MONEY FROM ME, Cliff put the signed title to the car in the mail to me on Saturday. Another very pleasant surprise to me, Reliable showed up at Cliff's home in Seattle on Monday morning about 7am PDT. Based upon our brief communications via this forum, calls and emails, Cliff shipped me his CAV (and sent me the title) based upon his trust alone! Needless to say, I got to the bank as quickly as possible on Monday and completed my wire transfer. Cliff, you have been gracious, trusting, helpful and a true gentleman; thank you for bolstering my faith that good people continue to exist! The CAV is everything you said it would be and more.

Thanks also to forum members Pat (Veek) and Jimmy (tractor boy) for already reaching out and offering me advice in my first few days of ownership. And to Tim for showing me his Gulf livery beauty and sealing the deal for me. The people on this forum are special and I hope I can live up to the fine examples already shown to me.

Best Regards,

Mike

Mike, great story and again welcome to the CAV family. Its remarkable how much we can learn about someone just by reading their posts etc. Cliff, who I've spoken to before, is as you said, a very trusting guy (and gentleman) who will offer advice and assistance any way he can. This forum is full of guys just like Cliff and I'm sure you'll fit right in too. Enjoy # 8....a very rare early car by CAV that I know Cliff gave top notch care for. Anything I can do let me know. Drive it like you stole it. :shy:

Back