German Transaxle of America - 016 Upgrade

I hope I don't get drawn and quartered for posting this but let me state for the record I have no affiliation with this company and only provide this for informational purposes to those with 016 trannys. I'm receiving no compensation for this.

I had reason to contact GERMAN TRANSAXLE OF AMERICA in Bend, Oregon,.(541-382-7723) and enjoyed a nice chat with owner, Ken Harvey. We discussed a few things about the 01E and compared notes about the 016. Ken has recently upgraded a few 016's with a new R&P gear and Wavetrac LSD's which transforms the little 016 to a fine unit. The two GT 40 owners I know that purchased this upgraded unit are both very pleased with the results and state that it improves the drive-ability of their cars to a higher level.

Thus, the reason for my post. If there are others out there in GT 40 land or elsewhere who have an 016 installed in their cars and are interested in an upgrade they should contact Ken and let him know. Ken advised he would be willing to purchase additional R&P gears from the manufacture if enough interest is generated.

Pat

Supporter
I'm one of the new GTA owners and the new box is fantastic as was the transaction with GTA. I highly recommend them. The new box went in over the course of a single afternoon without a hitch. As GTA indicated before I installed the box, it came shifting a little tight, especially from first to second but it has loosened up nicely over the past couple of months.
They were also very direct about only using 80 or 90 weight GL4 oil and absolutely not GL5. They also suggested Redline MT90 synthetic.

Last edited:

Jim Dewar

Supporter
GTA built my box 8 years (20k miles) ago. They installed the new R&P and LSD and made my car very drivable. I can't imagine the car with a stock 016.

Back