351 windsor cyl heads

l have a 351 svo running on webers (48ida's) making
around 390 bhp but running out of steam in
fourth & fifth gear.can anybody tell me where l can get good heads with bigger valves
to improve its breathing and power
thanks

Hi

Well, I would say go to http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html
I have a 351 in my Mk 111 GT40 and found that if you need bolt on power without having to mod the piston crowns then a set of Edelbrock performer heads will bolt 50 BHP straight on to your motor.

If you want even more power and breathing then go for the Victor Jr heads, and a set of custom fly cut pistons.
Pistons have to be relieved for intake valves over 1.9."
You can get different chamber sizes depending on what compression ratio you wish to run.
Regards,
Chris
wink.gif

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto on the Edelbrock Victor Jr. or perhaps Air Flow Research 185cc heads. Both flow very well out of the box.

Alternatively, find a porting shop that can clean up the runners and perform a good valve job. Here in the states there are a number of options. I have a set of Trickflow alloy heads ported by Total Engine Airflow.

tfs1.jpg

If you have the cash I would consider a set of AFR 185's (www.airflowresearch.com). You can look at there article reprint from the web where they bolted a set on the otherwise stock Ford Racing 392 (430HP) crate motor and made 75 more HP and more torque everywhere. It is nice when you are not trading off low end torque versus high end HP.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Gary Gibbs ]

I'm running the Victor Jr. heads with Probe racing pistons at about 10.5:1. I like the Edelbrock quality and that my Hilborn injection matches the Edelbrock ports perfectly. I have no dyno data presently but hope to have her running this spring.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There are a number of good aftermarket aluminum heads available for 302s and 351s. We decided to go with AFR heads; their quality is first rate, they were very helpful when we called, and the articles I have been able to find indicate that they flow like crazy. AFR 185s should really wake your engine up. Look out......

We are very interested in 32 Valve heads. Are there other manufacturers? If so I would appreciate their names or web addresses if possible.

Thanks in advance,

G

Before I would get to enthused about the 4 valve heads, first try to find ANYONE who has actually used them on a Ford engine. This subject came up awhile back. Wayne Presly was thinking about being a dealer. Someone asked if anyone new anyone who had dynoed a Ford engine or even put them on one. To my knowledge no one was identified. Someone also commented that they had never seen a review of these heads in ANY magazine anywhere. No one refuted that either as I remember it. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello !!!!!
Lynn, is very correct. I have emailed Arao, about the heads several times. I have receieved no response from them at all. I have also tried to call, with no answer. My last attempt, was sending them a information request, by snail mail. This was over two weeks ago. I requested names of contacts, of people actually using their products. Also for updated information. If it takes this long to get information, could you imagine how long it would take to get the heads !!!!!! Whatever you do, DON'T send them money up front. I have been burned by a couple of places using my deposit money for R&D, and then them disappearing into the dark giving me no product, or my money back. PLEASE use EXTREME CAUTION, when dealing with these people. I have seen them at the PRI show in the past, but was unable to be there this year to check on them. I am losing my intrest fast.
Brian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I just wanted to post an update on this. As I stated in this post in Feb. 03, I have never gotten as response to any email, snail mail, or phone calls to Arao. The last email to them was back in January. On Sept 03. 2003 I finally received a return email. Here it is:

Brian, It has been some time since you sent us an "E" mail. But the heads are now going into production again. Web site will be updated with the latest, especially the biggest small block heads.
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: Arao Engineering 32Valve Cylinder Heads

If it takes 9 months to get a response to my email, I can only imagine how long it will take to get the heads. As I said in one of my earlier posts, " DON'T SEND A DEPOSIT". I have done this with other suppliers, only to have them use MY money for R&D on their products. In one case it took me over a year to get the parts. I did check their website, and it has not been updated,as of yet. I would still like to see some "real world" figures on these. I still think I'll have a wait and see attitude on these. If they (Arao) display at the PRI show in Indy this year, I'll take a first hand look at them. I'll keep everone posted on any new information, they provide.
Brian

Back