BB Ford to Porsche G50/52... HELP!

<font color="green"> </font>
Hello people
Been a regular to your site now for about..... 10 seconds,(not rearly),
And have enjoyed reading all the posts from people with the same loves in life as myself,
But i now find myself in a bit of shtuck.
Does anybody know where i might find an adapter plate to mate a Ford 351m (big block bolt pattern) to a 911 turbo G50/52.
I have asked a few related companys but keep getting the brush off. Failing that, Do you think a renault turbo box would be easier to find an adapter plate kit for,
If so, selling the G50 would'nt be a problem as the BHP from the 351 could be easily handled by a UN1.
As you can see, im very undecided as to which way to go, and would be very greatfull for any thoughts or advise you GT40 veterans might have.
PS: finances are very tight at the mo, so selling the box might even help the project along a bit quicker.
Many thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't know, but that engine gets a bum rap on power production. Fortunately, it is just that, a bum rap. I had a article buildup of a 400M motor a couple of months ago, and while lots of parts are not available for it the stock pieces can do well with porting etc. and make a really decent motor. I can't remember what they got out of it using the stock pieces but I want to say it was north of 400 hp. Only negative thing that I remember was the hp was much less than the torque and both were at low RPM (around 4500 or so peak hp and peak torque much lower if I remember right). It'd be a bruiser on a gear box!

R

Steve,
If Kennedy Engineering can't help, try Renegade Hybrids at
www.renegadehybrids.com They do V8 conversions on Porsches
(predominantly Chevrolet 350's),and sell adapters for other
mid-engined cars and engines.
They were pretty impressed by my 351W &amp; G50, so your request
should certainly get their interest. Their website states that they have plates to
adapt practically any engine to a Porsche transaxle.

Bill

Tar Ron
Done a lot of reserch on this lump before i got it.
What you say is right, it is a much overlooked option of the Ford 335 family because of the lack of after market parts. However, a lot of parts from the cleveland family are straight swaps. in addition to the total rebuild i'm doing ( block at the shop being rebored +030 as i write)
i have the following parts; forged pistons (enroute), cleveland 4v heads, edelbrook cam and manifold kit, holly 650 4bbl, and a couple of other bits.
The main reason i decided on the 'M' engine is because it has a very low compression ratio (8.2:1)... thus allowing me to use NOS without and danger of damaging the lump.
"Why the hell use NOS" i hear you ask... Well, cos i use the 40 as my every day car, and i only need high performance occasionally, Running a HiPo engine around town would only ruin it.
So, 370 to 390 bhp and good petrol consumption is cool for smoking around town... then when Mr Essex boy with his baseball cap on backwards fancies his luck, Flick the switch and and i've got another 100 horses to play with.
Anyway.... enough of my waffle,
Many thanks guys,
i have sent mail's to Kenedy and Renegade to see if they can help.
Thanks again Ron.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike,

I got my adapter plate and (Porsche)clutch parts from GT40 Australia(good exchange rate at that time). The starter was from Kennedy Engineered Products $185+s&amp;h. It required rotating the flange a few degrees for the solenoid to clear the chassis. It is a Hi-Torque gear reduction unit.

Bill

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Kennedy Engineering is the place to go. They made an adapter, high performance clutch and flywheel, all balanced, for me. Also supplied a hi tork starter. Application was 427 sideoiler to G50/52 trans. Machine work is top quality. Unfortunately the car is still being built. If you need additional info feel free to send me a private message for a quicker reply. Good luck. By the way, Renegade Hybrids will not be able to help you but you are free to contact them. Maybe they expanded their product line but I doub't it.

Thanks gregg
Just got replys from both Renegade and Kennedy.
Renegade said "sorry- try Kennedys".
Kennedys just said sorry no!.
Don't know what to do now, has anyone else got any ideas?

I don't understand Kennedy built the Adapter, Flywheel and everything for my 427 Sideoiler to G930&gt;
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey Steve, Fancy meeting up next week for beer and we can discuss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My other half will be away for a few days, so I won't have to get any hall monitor slips signed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brett

Steve,

How about Bob Putnam at ERA? He may be able to help out, although I believe that he uses ZF's.
I don't see why any decent machine shop couldn't do it, given the bolt pattern, crankshaft centerline, starter position, clearance/chassis issues, etc. of the engine and gearbox in question????

Bill

Suggest you try Kennedy again.
The 390/427 kit is NOT in their catalog and my experience
is that they don't take the time to investigate.
If they made it once...they'll make it again.

MikeD

Thanks Mike
But i dont want to bother Kennedys again.
I replied to their "No" mail with a polite request for any info they might have on anybody else in the world that might be able to help, and got this reply :-

There is no one that we know of who makes and adapter for that engine. There are significant locating problems that make this a bad idea.

Mr. Kennedy refuses to make an adapter that is not fesible and that he knows won't work. It would cause you years of frustration and lots of money for something that will never be right.

Kennedy Engineered Products
38830 17th Street East (661) 272-1147
Palmdale, CA 93550 Fax (661) 272-1575

Maybe i should just junk the engine and get somthing more mainstreem, like a chevy... everybody and his dog do spares for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bill
Reading through ERA's web page, it dosent look like it's their bag,
but i've mailed them a plea anyway
Thanks

Back