Internal tub

A friend of mine has a fibreglass internal tub for sale.
It is of the same construction as GTD so will fit a GTD built chassis. It is brand new & uncut. Asking price is £200.
Either contact me via E-mail or 'phone direct: +44 (0)1322 437150.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I took great delight in trashing mine. A sort of symbolic gesture at the time as it was the last f/glass part be taken out before the chassis went away for painting.
Dave M.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
O.K. FREE to good home or even bad for that matter...it will be in the garbage within the next two weeks if nobody wants it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Wait for ski season and take it up and use it for a family tobagan.The truth is I used mine but I covered it up with carpet. I think a alum. pannel job would be better.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Fran,
why don't you strap a steerable cheapo v8 on it with a direct propshaft and a propellor (a la Bangkok) and start a new craze in the USA. Could be immense fun. Here on the Thames the navigation speed is only 3 knots (up or down stream I'm not sure) but just think - a gtd tub at 60 + could be wild.
Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I assume you guys don't attach any worth to this tub?
A shame really as I believe the guy who purchased it from the manufacturer was lead up the proverbial garden. He is only trying to recoup some of the losses.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul, There's nothing really wrong with the fiberglass tub that comes with a GTD except that in hindsight I would make my own pannels. One thing that is lacking in a GTD, USA Model with center shift, is width for seats. The tub angles towards the center near the bottom(floor).Another 1/2"-3/4" on each side would allow you to fit a 18" wide seat. Many race seats come in this width. Also as we all get older our asses get wider and a extra inch or so would be a good thing. This is one of those things that someone who is doing one of these cars for the first time would change later and if known in advance the money spent could be used for new brakes, THATS another one, and or many other mods etc. You know this could be a good subject. What would you NOT buy, as supplied OEM, with a given kit.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Howard,
Definitely the GTD fuel tanks would not be on my list and I think with hindsight I would have strived to get a monocoque instead of a space frame like the GTD. But I paid my money and took a choice at the time. I think my car only has the fibre glass body work, front rear and side windows, and frame left from the original GTD kit. Just about everything else has been changed.
Paul, sorry that we've derided the internal gtd tub. BUT (imho) it was rather awful. I couldn't even bring myself to advertise it. If I had it could have saved your friend some dosh as he could have had it for free then he could have given it on to somebody else and so on. In fact a tub traded on like this could travel more miles than many of these cars actually achieve !!!
Dave M /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I quite agree with you Dave & Fran, the fibreglass tub is a poor fit. I actually bought one when I purchased my kit & it wasn't until I had fitted the tub & bonded it in that I realised this. It took a lot of work to remove it & I have now replaced it with aluminium panels.
That said, if one intended to carpet the interior then the fibreglass tub is fine.

Back