Ventilation

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
At the NEC show last weekend there was a -40 with circular
vents that can either be selected 'out' in the free air stream as a scoop, or shut, or even possibly rotated as well to act as an outlet. About 3" in diameter and located forward of the hinged opening panel. Does anybody know where they can be found ?
regards
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
These have been called hellicopter vents or snap vents in the past. Try Aircraft Spruce & specialty Co. www.aircraftspruce.com or 1-877-477-7823
Their part # is cc3251 $7.85 pair for 3.5" dia ones, $5.95 for the 2" ones # a-2-100

David, have got them on my GTD.. have no air-con or other such luxuries, so they are very welcome when you can get a bit of air flow through them.They need a "reasonable" turn of speed to really feel the benefit (Down Lavant straight at Goodwood works!) but every little helps!! Have seen them mounted in many differing locations in the side windows. Don't know what difference this makes to air flow..possibly just asthetics?

Dave,

I have a couple I bought last year and don't plan to use if you want them. I got them from Neil Foreman and they are absolutely mint so you could save a few bob if you want them still.

David

I just stumbled onto this topic. I looked at the Aircraft Spruce website but I can't find a picture of these vents. I've e-mailed them, as well, with no response so far. My question is, how do the vents actually mount to the window? Is it via screws similar to the larger, rectangular flip-out windows? Any tips to make sure they install neatly?

Thanks!

Given that they're an aircraft part I assumed they screw in somehow. I've seen some on race cars in the past but naturally never paid much attention. The ones I've seen, to my recollection, rotate around a fixed center axis and can be flipped in or out, to serve as a vent or a scoop as the case may be.

I did a Google search this morning and found several other sites selling helicopter vents (such as the one in the link below), but they were not the type I had pictured in my mind. I wish the Aircraft Spruce site had a photo of the ones they sell so I could determine which kind they have--

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/gotopage.php?page=57

As fitted to Roy Smart's Mk1 GTD

Attachments

• 29573-Vent1.JPG
    29573-Vent1.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 331
Thanks, Paul. Those look easy enough to install! I like the idea of putting them in the "flip out" windows--I can take those off and drill them out with a lot less fuss than removing both side windows and their approximately 500 screws apiece-- ;-)

Malcolm

Supporter
To fit these vents, use the hole saw as Jasper suggests and then the vents do just pop in. They have a lip on the inner side which hooks them onto the window material. Suggest you tape the window when drilling the hole in case you slip with the drill!

Malcolm

Thanks, Malcolm. I may order a pair today. I was hoping to find the kind that "flip out", as opposed to "twisting out", but these seem hard to beat for ease of installation.

Thanks for the assistance, folks, as usual--

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I bought a set of the vents from Wicks Aircraft (Aircraft Spruce never responded to my inquiries). I installed them both in my rectangular "flip out" windows yesterday. It took all of 20 minutes and I never even had to remove the windows from the car. I taped the windows as suggested, measured and marked the center spot, drilled a small pilot hole, then cut the hole using a 3 1/4" hole saw in my electric drill. As suggested in the installation instructions I drilled partway through from the outside, then taped the inside and drilled the rest of the way through from there. I cleaned off any excess "flash" from the hole (there wasn't much at all) with a small file, then used a hair dryer to heat the snap vent a bit, just to make it more flexible, and "snapped" them in. I didn't get to drive the car to check out the effects, but every bit's got to help--

Snakeye,

Fredy Fender here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once you get the Vintage set up, you won't be needing those vents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Those vents are actualy pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back