Renault R12? Headlights on eBay

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I cannot be sure, but these headlights that are listed as being for an Avenger quasi-GT40 sure look like the Renault R-12 headlights I once had. They are at $100 now which is kind of steep, but they also look to be new.
Click Here to see more on headlights

5c_1.JPG

Regards,
Lynn

What affordable options are there?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifI have not seen this style lamp available in the US, and the pricing for others like it is 5 to 7 times as much. Do you think these are reasonably useable in a GT40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
They sure do have the right shape and size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I emailed the seller to ask what exactly they were originally fitted to, who made them, what is the part number.

The response I got was basically the same information as in the ad. None of the info I asked for.

Hi Lynn,
These do appear to be Renault 12 headlights, I have several and they look the same, the lens is not correct for a GT40 as it is concave.
I also have a Cibie version where the lens is convex and these are used on some of the original cars when the Marchals were damaged.
These part no.s may help VALEO 4 70 078 manufacture date approx 1996. manufactured in Belgium.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Roy,

Right you are! There were a couple of reasons I didn't use them. I had already fabricated bracketry for the headligts I got from Tornado and they didn't have city lights (aka sidelights) in them. The concave lens just wouldn't work with my brackets.

Are you aware of the headlights Andy used to sell with his kits? They were some kind of Lucas light that he said he couldn't get anymore, but he would never give me specifics. The issue I have is that they are English lenses which throw the low beam dip the wrong way. When I confronted Andy about this, he just said he had been selling them for years and no one had complained and that since they were no longer available, as far as he was concerned it was a moot point. That is when I bought the R-12 housings (issues above). Well, I figured that the headlights were so low that the dip to the center of our roads wouldn't bother anyone and dropped the matter. I would still like to find out what in the world the housings Andy was selling were so that I can try to find a French version with the proper dip in the lens. Can you help me at all Roy or can anyone out there help?? I really want the city lights in the housings. After a trip to South America where that is all they run with in the city at night, I see their usefulness. And I just think they are cool!

Does what I am looking for sound anything like the Valeo's you mentioned? (Bye the way, Andy's headlight housings were virtually flat, the shoulder was nearly 2" and they took a P45t bulb. The lenses were glass and the backs were chromed plastic. They came with a metal adjusting/mounting brackets with springs and rubber gaskets.)

The Valeo lights that GTD was supplying in the 1990's had a bulb holder that adjusted for left or right side driving. Lynn, if you look at your picture there is a black spot on the flange of the bulb mount. The adjustment I am talking about was a click lock, at that same point, that shifted the pattern.

I could come up with a set of correct near new Lucas lights, however, for driving on the LHS of the road (since asymmetric for the UK). I converted to original Marchals (convex) - but they cost.

Back