In The Market For Hydraulic Roller Valve Springs

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I am looking for a set of hydraulic roller valve springs, 1.8 install height, to go on a set of Edelbrock RPM heads for 89-93 5.0L/302. Cam has .542 lift on intake and exhaust, pistons have reliefs for 2.05/1.9 valves. 1.46" diameter or 1.46/1.06 for dual springs, ~135+lbs at 1.77-1.8", 280-300lbs at 1.2-1.3".

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Re: In The Market For Hydraulic Roller Valve Sprin

Ron,
It looks like Ford M-6513-A351 would work, but the 2004 FRP catalog says these dual springs need nylon valve stem seals. The nylon seals require the valve guide bosses to be machined to .530 diameter. Is this a big deal? Seems like a pain in the butt just to put springs on. Do you think this is only for Ford heads or all heads?

Regards,
Lynn

Howard Jones

Supporter
What does Edelbrock have to say about correct parts for their head? I bet you they can supply with a part number at least and maybe sell you the spring set direct.

Lynn,
Cutting the valve guide bosses on the Cleveland heads was no problem when the machine shop did the valve job. I'm using Crane springs (dual springs with a damper)with Crane teflon seals and a Crane hydraulic roller cam. They also machined the spring seats so the ID and OD of the spring packs would seat properly. I'm not sure of the cost unless I would dig in the recipts, but machinining wise, it wasn't a big deal for them.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Howard,

I had looked on Edelbrock's website but could not find a listing/specs for the part number which I found quite easily. Finally it dawned on me that they just weren't on the website, so I checked Jegs and Summit. There they were for $89.00 from either retailer. Dohhhhh.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I guess that is an OK price?

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Having emersed myself in the minutiae of valve spring specs for the last several days, I have found several alternative sets from Crane, CompCams, Manley and others. There is only one question I need to ask the graybeard engine builders out there. The spring pressures are never given for your installed height (of course) or where half open is for your applicaiton. Spring rates are sometimes given, but seldom if ever are spring rates trully linear. So from that comes the question: If you take the spring pressures at the given heights and extrapolate a spring rate (this never agrees with given spring rate, NSS) and assume the rate is linear to determine the seat pressure at your installed height and your open height and, as long as the given max. lift before coil bind is less than your cam's max. lift, can you assume you are going to be OK? (Of course, you've selected a spring with an OD less than or equal to your spring seat diameter ;-)

I am not EVEN going to go into two springs with two non-linear spring rates and don't even ask about triple springs. I haven't done integrals since I graduated college.

NSS = the question always asked of Sherlock.

Back