Transfers and decals

Hi out there.
Does anyone who sells racing number transfers to put on the side of my GT40? I'm based in London, but would go anywhere within a day's travel to get hold of some.

Thanks in advance

Dan

If you mean race numbers Dan, you can obtain then easily from motor sport suppliers like Demon Tweaks or Merlin Motorsport. Should cost around 25-50 P each,or come along to any of the GTD40 Club race meetings and blag yourself some from us!! Please remember that officially it is illegal to have race numbers on your car when on public roads, unless you are actually taking part in a road event... the boys in blue tend to take a pretty dim view of cars running around town with race numbers on...even in a 40!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the advice and the offer. I'll start with Demon Tweeks and take it from there as I guess the track days are held more in the warmer months. Anyway, I will join the the club when I get five minutes to fill the form in and then I guess I will have the dates for the race days.

I have been thinking about what to do with the numbers on my car. They are really an integral part of the look - a recreation of Number 5 (see left).

I know you are not supposed to have numbers on the car, but then Foxtons estate agents have hundreds of Minis running around with to all intents and purposes racing numbers on - how do they get away with it?

I suppose a GT40 is more interesting to pull over than a Mini from plods point of view.

Simon

In my neck of the woods, if you carried with you some images of your car on the 2003 Goodwood sculpture, as well as a couple of pics of the original Le Mans No.5, the police would just be dead impressed, wave you on your way or perhaps ask for a look at the engine out of curiosity. I'm not sure if that's the same view the Met would take in your area (as they've today fined me £30 for the spacings on my license plates ... have they really nothing better to do?).

If you don't wish to move house out to the sticks, then pleading ignorance works to a point, but you can only get away with that for so long - are you allowed the white roundels without the numbers? Or perhaps you could change the "5" to a sylised "S", with the plea "It's not a number officer, it's a letter" ...?

Cheers

Rob

Simon have also seen those Estate Agent cars around,being not too far away from you. I suppose local Police just turn a blind eye to them,but I would'nt recommend it. Some events that we compete in now even warn against driving on public roads with race numbers, threatening exclusion from the event! even if only going out of the circuit to get fuel!! Most Police in the UK are more interested in the 40 than looking for minor " infringements" to book you for, but it only takes one!

Malcolm

Supporter
If you are a competition license holder, one of the things you sign up not to do is to drive on the road with race numbers on your car. Jools, are you saying it is perhaps illegal to do so by law in other situations? That would be news to me.

If you buy off the shelf numbers and roundels, they will not look lke the cars in the 60's. The roundels are too small and are matt finish and the numbers are too small as well. You will need to chat to a sign maker or similar and talk them into making you some gloss roundels and cutting you a number the size and style you want.

Didn't the original cars have painted on roundels and numbers?

Malcolm

Simon,

Just tape a black cross over the numbers. I've driven all over the country with race numbers taped over in this way & never had any bother.

I think you are more likely to be collared by an RACMSA bod than by the police! (not wishing to tempt fate)!

Black Crosses it is then. I can't help feeling this rather ruins the effect, but as you say - it only takes one.

Good idea to have a few photographs of the car available - just in case. Would this be seen as bribing an office of the law - it only takes one!!

Simon,

How about a big red cross? Your car could masquerade

as the world's first MKII ambulance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Bill,

What about the USA? Are the racing #'s illegal here, on the public roads? I know that 1117 has been driven on the roads for several years with it's #. The # seems to be a really neat part of seeing a GT40 on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Have fun!

John

John,

Here in the USA, the numbers would just add to the "WOW

factor". Cops here like a cool car just as much as the next

guy, even more so in Hersh's case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't have

numbers on my car, but the police interest in it so far has

been strictly automotive related, not legislative!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill

You can get racing decals and transfers/ stickers from GT40 Developments South Africa - I'll post the details when I get them but heres a picture of a my 40 that was done with them.

Attachments

• 39653-Johns GT40 3 side view.jpg
    39653-Johns GT40 3 side view.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 363
Back