Audi 01E on eBay

I have been in contact with the seller. It is a CBD 5-speed box from a 1993 Audi S4. It has the narrow first gear and the un-necked input shaft (more stress raisers than later input shafts IMO). The gearing is also no better than a 5N 016 box as it uses a 4.11 ring and pinion and a 0.73 fifth gear ratio. If this were to be adapted to a GT40 it would need the tailshaft cut and supported, a new tailhousing, and probably a better fifth-gear ratio and/or a better ring and pinion ratio.

Seeing as how it is somewhat local to me, I may pick it up (if the price stays low ) if only to tear it apart and make some comparative measurements against an 016.

Mark that would be great if you could do some R&D on these 4wd boxes. If you could pick up a cheap local box it would make it worth while. I would think a billet cover could be made and a bearing area to support the cut off yoke. I wonder if the output strength of the parts that go to the two half shafts would be as beefy in a 4wd box. Since originally they were split 3 ways (aft yoke plus one out each side)and if they "lightened " these parts up on 4wd units , compared to the 2wd ones. regards, dan

Dan, the interesting thing is that the Getrag web site rates the torque of the AWD box to 450 Nm while the 2WD box only gets rated by Getrag to 262 Nm. The case is the same and the input shafts are the same, so either Getrag is playing games in how they rate these boxes or maybe the AWD box has bigger bearings, particularly in the final drive area. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Perhaps the difference in torque ratings between the FWD and AWD 01E's is due to the torque being shared between the front and rear differentials through a Thorsen (I don't recall the torque biasing of the Thorsen). As such, I suspect the weak link is the differential, so if one were to disable the rear output of an AWD trans, you'd probably end up with the same 262Nm rating. When time permits, I can look up the bearing part numbers, though I suspect they will be the same for both tran's.

Andy

Howard Jones

Supporter
AJS I have a A4 Quatro and have been interested in changing the stock 40/60 front/rear torque split to something like 25/75. Anyway 60% of 450 turns out to be 270 so I think you are correct. By the way does anybody know how to, or a sorce for information on altering the split ratio of these thorsen systems

Looks like I won this particular auction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can now start looking into potentially converting it to 2WD. I was also told about the following web site which gives a parts list for converting a 5-speed to a 6-speed:

http://www.intendedacceleration.com/html/s4_s6_6-speed_conversion.html

I also need to find out if the Quaife LSD I have in my 016 box can work in an 01E, or else I get to test Quaife's exchange policy.

As if I don't already have enough projects. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Great Mark,
Now maybe someone will have the ability to get this setup working in a reasonable price range.
Lord knows I can't. Keep us posted.
John

Back