Wanted: Bundle of Snakes

I am looking for a possible used set of headers for a 289 powered GT40. Any leads???? If not maybe some good leads on stainless pipe bends and collectors. Thanks Rich B [email protected]

I am looking into having some made for a 302 (347) in an ERA. Who is your GT's manufacturer? Perhaps we can get a lowered rate on two sets.
Scott

Scott
The car I have was the prototype car for LA Exotics which is now B&B Manufacturing and they do not do GT 40's anymore. It has a 289 with a Porsche Transaxle. I have found a couple of exhaust manufacturers, but I think $2800.00 or so is a bit ridiculous for exhaust. I did talk to Mark @ extreme classics about exhaust, but have not gotten to the dollar numbers yet. I could see some where around 1000.00 for mild steel headers and maybe 1500.00 for stainless. I am still digging. I do know if I have to spend around 2800.00 there will be a tube bender in my garage along with a tig welder.!! It's not that I do not appreciate quality, its just the principle of that is a lot of money for exhaust and if I was a money factory I would have an original GT40..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GT40 Developments South Africa sells bundle of snakes exhaust systems - ceramic coated to cut down on heat dissipation - heres a pic of my 40 done by them. Will post contact details for them soon.

Attachments

• 39814-airfilter offset view.jpg
    39814-airfilter offset view.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 361
You might try Rick Cressi at Tri-C Engineering, located at 24927 Tibbitts, Valencia, CA 91355. The telephone number is (661) 295-1550. Rick has built a set of headers for my ERA, as well as a set for an original GT 40. I do not know whether he would be comfortable building a set of headers without the car, but he might be. He also does exceptional work, at a reasonable price.

Michael

While at Road atlanta several weeks ago I ran into the owner(Mark Stewart) of Kirk Racing Products. They build Roll Cages(both welded and bolt in that are NHRA and SCCA certified) and Headers. They are probably going to build my exhaust(replacement) system. I plan on a 351 with AFR 205's which have 70 cc exhaust ports that are raised .125 higher than stock. I want 1 3/4" pipes. I have a set of 1 5/8" pipes now. When I talked to Mark, he wanted to make a set for me and set up a jig for doing more. Will do stainless, ceramic or whatever you want. Cost ?? Will let you know when I know more. Will probably be taking the car over to his place in a week or two. Anyone interested in my old ones(351 stock heads), let me know.
Bill

Thanks Michael, I will try to give Rick a call. If any one does have a set of used exhaust I am still looking. Or a set of specs and dimensions for a 289 set up.It seems due to my geographical location, I am looking more and more at building my own.Thanks again. Rich

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I built my own from 304 stainless. About 600.00 materials and 160 hrs labor. If I did it again I'd have someone laser cut the flanges for about 100.00 and save about 20 hours labor. You don't need a bender, you just purchase mandrel bent pieces and cut and weld. If you want stainless you'll need access to a TIG welder.

The best sources for pre-bent stainless and build pieces are

www.burnsstainless.com (best selection and tech articles)

and

www.stainlessworks.net (best prices)

There are numerous sources if you want mild steel although IMHO if you're going to invest this much time you want them to be permanent.

Neil also built his own by modifying a set of stock car headers, he has pics on his build page.

http://home.comcast.net/~lemanswinner/

I took notes during my build and would type them and post if there was a request.

Back