GT40 number plate for sale...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

WOW!! I wonder what I can get for my plate "1075GT40" ??
Heck maybe 20000 pound sterling!!! That would pay for a lot of gas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What would happen if a special plate gets stolen or damaged in a crash? Can the Motor Vehicle wonks issue a duplicate replacement?

MikeD

In the UK, provided the car is licensed to you, you can get as many plates made up as you like. A few years ago, anyone could make a plate up for you, with any number you liked - no ID required - car thieves had a field day.

Nowadays, before a reputable dealer will issue you with new plates, you have to provide sight of the car's logbook (registration document) and your own proof of ID as the owner. If you want incorrect spacings of the letters/numbers, per the above (IMHO way overpriced) plate, you now have to sign a disclaimer that you are aware it's against the law to have illegal spacings, etc.

The police can fine you for these spacings - normally £30 for a first offence, up to £1,000, or they can even confiscate the personalised/special number from you, replacing it with a nondescript plate from the same year. Bummer if you've crashed the car, they arrive at the scene and they fine you for dodgy license plates.

I must confess to illegal spacings on my company car. Some police forces see the joke, others (Lincolnshire and the London Met) have "banged me to rights". And while writing out the ticket, they don't appreciate any advice to go and catch some real villains... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Rob

Malcolm

Supporter
I will be very interested to see what the H4OGT plate goes for. I have J4OGT on my car. There are quite a few of these plates out there eg H14OGT, K4OGT, etc etc. The first plate does seem a bit optimistic but you never know with the new GT coming how "enthusiastic" their new owners will be.

Malcolm

What would your ideal registration be? I have been on the look out for 401NCH - 40 1nch!

I also saw FEL1X - which would be cool if you car was a replica of FEL1C!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
True Jim,

But call the NY DMV and tell them you want to sell one to some else for $10,000.000 and see what happens!

I always liked that in the UK the plates were not supplied by the Govt. but made by dealers or traders. And I always got a kick out of seeing E-Types with the "stick-on" reg number on the bonnet. Ugly but better than blocking the intake with a metal plate.

Boggles the mind what they pay for "special" plate in the UK. I have heard that "RR1" is valued at aover a quarter million pounds!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TAX1 is meant to be worth a fortune.....

However, if I can can ever get the DVLA to release them I am going to try for: AGT405L or G740MKV

sometimes I wish we could just name our cars like you guys over the pond

Brett

Here are the results from our DVLA's latest rip-off auction.
DVLA latest auction

The DVLA is happy to sell registrations such as B347 LES which could be 'modified' to look vaguely like BEATLES for £8100, but they also issue the Display requirements

registration number requirements

which contains the following

THE LAW
The law states that,

You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).
Offences may result in any or all of the following:

A fine of up to £1,000
The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

How about that for a government agency inciting its people to break the law. Why would you think someone will pay £8100 for B347 LES ??? I don't think Les would pay that much to put B347 in front of his name, do you?

In the next auction is a reasonable plate for one of the yellow GT40s

Y31 LOW with reserve of £1200. If you didn't mind ignoring the rules you could make it look vaguely like YELLOW, but that would be very naughty!

There is also a cheaper plate for Les.
S4 LES with reserve of £1100. But look, it could be mis spaced to read SALES. But surely DVLA would not be inciting one to do that, would they?

The next dvla auction

And here is a search of registrations currently available with 40 in them. Not from a dvla auction!

How about 40 DAD or 40 MUM
There's 40 B, 40 F, 40 G, 40 H, 40 M, S 40, V 40
Or how about 40 JOE or 40 OK.

None with DRB or RF or TOR or CAV or MDA or NZ.

number plate search = 40

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It would cost you less, if your car was in the UK, to actually go to another country, title and register the car there, and get whatever plate you wanted. I feel bad for you guys over there- thousands of sterling for a license plate is unreasonable.
How about GD 4D? or some variation thereof?
If I had an original car I'd do what Jim has done- put the car's serial number on the plate. We'll see what I end up with; I haven't had a vanity plate in years, but a GT40 is sort of the ultimate vanity car, so maybe I should get a trick plate for it. Maybe '65 04'; years of design, and manufacture.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The actual GT40 plate was on sale here in the UK for 50,000 sterling not long ago. Does anybody know who was daft enough to buy it ?
My registration plate reads simply V8 SBF.
The UK DVLA sold it to me recently for £325 and after the verbal contract over the telephone the guy asked me why V8 SBF since it wasn't my initials or anything ?.
Upon explaining to him he said 'Oh ! I think we have made a mistake here and this number should have gone into the auction for a lot more money'
Well I'm a Scot - You can guess my reply.

I recently passed up the offer of 4RTY, and regretted it as soon as I did. It was not cheap but it sold very soon after. Shame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Rob

Howard Jones

Supporter
When I went to the DMV here in Cal-lee-4-ya the nice little girl behind the counter asked me if I wanted a personal plate and I said I want the cheepest plate you got honey, I pay enough taxes let alone asking for more. This whole subject is beyond me. Now if you could pay to not put the damn thing on the car then we would be talking. At least the ones you guys have in England fit.

Re: GT40 number plate for sale...ha ha ha ha ha ha

I've just bought the plate H 40 GT. It didn't get any bids on e-bay so I mailed the guy to see if he'd take an offer - £350 later I've got it !!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Re: GT40 number plate for sale...ha ha ha ha ha ha

Many moons ago i was fortunate enough to gain F GT40. Anyone want it in exchange for a Flat 12 Porsche engine and gearbox !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Graham.

Back