CAV, RF, RCR, ZF 5-speed cable shifters

S

snoman_sd

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I would like to say that I am glad to be a member of the GT40 community. I have owned number #98 CAV GT-40 for over a year or so now. I must say that the build has been quite interesting. I must say that the most interesting part has been designing and producing these parts to use on my CAV. After fighting with the stock rod style shifter linkage that was originally sent with my CAV I decided it was time to arise to the occasion and create my own cable shifter linkage assembly. When I recieved the original prototype from CAV to install in my GT I found that I would be unable to use this linkage in a successfull smooth motion, the system just has too many moving parts. I believe that by designing the shifter like I have that it will be able to use on ANY ZF transmission whether set for a CAV, Rolling Forties, RCR or Pantera. That's right, Pantera's too...rockonsmile

Without further ado: picture of the shifter.

editedpiccopy4yb.jpg

The mounting brackets included are designed to bolt onto the side of the ZF transmission and you can place the cables inline with the linkage at the desired angle. As many cars are differently designed all placement will be different and we found it best to allow you to weld on your own L-brackets to hold the linkage on. The assembly replaces the rectangle box containing the factory linkage and dogleg on the right (GT-40 design) of the ZF transmission. The linkage bolts onto the original 3 factory holes and has a rubber bearing and seal pressed in to ensure a positive seal and prevent leaking of gear oil. A gasket is also provided between the assembly and the ZF. The shifter barrel uses an adjustable 6-bolt design so that you can adjust the mounting flanges needed based on different transmission setups and chassis/cable design. Being that the Panteras and/or 6-speed Zf's bolt in a different standard to the GT's there are mounting holes on the top and the bottom abling you to customize to your car and transmission's likes.

Pictured above is our first design of the shifter and has been tested on our CAV and run true for OVER 2000 miles. (The rod linkage provided with our CAV provided no use and we were forced to build our own.) The shifter concept has been used on many cars around the country including Roy Sales' car of VIP Classics, the United States distributer of CAV GT-40s, to numerous CAV drivers, and even Lloyd of RBT transmissions is even using one on his Pantera. :pepper:

We are in development of a 2nd generation of shifter to include the full cable shifter assembly including an in cabin shifter lever, cables, and brackets all based off of the LHD ZF transmission GT's.

We have production of the 1st Gen of shifters (shown above) in full scale and are ready for delivery. Price as shown $549 and $495 without the plate respectively.

If you are interested please contact me at LarryL(at)pair(dot)com or PM me directly here. We hope to be able to provide serious parts for serious GT40 enthusiasts!

Thank you very much!:)

Also, one pic of the "Princess" to start things off right!!!:D

copyofp1010152medium2om.jpg

Hey Larry, that was a great first post! Welcome to the forum - it's nice to have guys such as yourself around. And your GT40 is white with blue stripes - bonus!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Mark,
I saw a CAV at VIR last weekend that had this set-up on it. The owner was VERY happy with the way it worked.
Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 066_66_0001.JPG
    066_66_0001.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,537
Larry, welcome to the forum. I too am in San Diego and would like to get acquainted as I have a BEC GT40 (it has a 6-speed with a cable shifter) . Maybe I'll see you at Cruise Night tomorrow in Escondido?
Larry Lessie

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Larry, very nicely made set up.

The Superformance uses a cable shift, anyone know how the linkages work on those or what they look like?

Back