Ferrari 355 motor

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I just bought a 355 long block with 19k miles. I am going to do a major on it and if all checks OK I would like is to trade for a ZF or ZFQ with 3.77 ring and pinion in good condition. No exceptions on the ring and pinion.

This could be a great motor for one of Frans cars.

Jack

Motor will be in Arkansas.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Richard, no transaxle, that will have to come from somewhere else. The whole car had a mechanics lean against it in New York. I have always loved the sound of the 5 valve Ferrari engines, to bad it will not fit in my old F cars. OH BUT THEN THE FERRARI OFFICIALS WOULD CASTRATE ME. :)

Had to look it up, thought it might be a V12. That would be very cool but wouldn't fit in many cars. Still an awesome engine.

I just bought a 355 long block with 19k miles. I am going to do a major on it and if all checks OK I would like is to trade for a ZF or ZFQ with 3.77 ring and pinion in good condition. No exceptions on the ring and pinion.

This could be a great motor for one of Frans cars.

Jack

Motor will be in Arkansas.

Keep us posted on how the motor checks out - I have an interest in this for possible use in a UK project..

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Will do Paul, I could see a gear reduction sitting on the front of a mini mustang. OH THE SOUND WOULD BE MUSIC.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Not sure Steve, I haven't seen it yet and haven't asked but will find out. Its a long block missing coils and injectors. Has throttle bodies, oil cooler filter, power steering pump, water pump. The dry sump pump and pan have never been off the motor. Looks like a 19k mile engine. It did come out of a car with F1 paddle shift. I would guess they are all the same with only small external changes over the years.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
It did come out of a car with F1 paddle shift.

That's probably good news. If it was an F1 motor from the factory, it's a late '98 or newer. It most likely missed the valve guide and exhaust manifold problems. Brass valve guides would go allowing oil to seep onto the valves and into the cylinders. The harmonics in the exhaust system would reintroduce fuel into the combustion chamber causing it to be too rich, fuel wash would wear the nikasil liners, on and on. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. '95 and '96 are notorious for these issues but your motor looks to be much later than those years and should be a good motor.

Jack, a low-mileage 355 motor with a fresh major should be about a $10-12,000 motor on fchat/f-ads. Might be easier to sell it there and then swing over here for a good ZF....??

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Cliff thats what a ZF is bringing with a 3.77 ring and pinion and the ZFQ is about $1000 higher. I just thought I would bait the hook to see if there were any takers here, I like this forum best for gear heads. I may try the other forum. I would like to see one of these guys put it in a car like the P4. I can't afford any more cars now, everything in my life is a trade off. So I would have to sell in order to get. I think there might be a few others like me here. :)

I also have to make sure its OK, time will tell.

Jack

Back