Hi Torque starter for sale

How pathetic!
I've been a naughty boy by offering items to GT40 website members so I've had my post removed.
Personally I think this is petty and small minded and deprives the GT40 community of an opportunity.
The idea that items cannot be offered to fellow posters on an "offers" basis is frankly ridiculous and smacks of some sort of paranoia.
There is frankly no logical reason not to allow offers in an advert. I would have been prepared to accept a pretty low offer on the starter to a fellow enthusiast. Putting it on Ebay I don't doubt I will get a much higher price for the item, but it kind of defeats the object of offering it to my fellow enthusiasts.
Sorry guys, it's now going on ebay and if you're interested, you'll have to bid.
You know who to blame.......
Simon

Am I misunderstanding something here? I think the general rule of thumb is if you are a financial supporter of the forum you can sell things in the for sale area. If you are not a financial supporter you cannot. Whats wrong with that?

I like to see a price myself. Even if afterwards you add the line 'or near offer', which I'm sure is allowed. Without a price to start with, nobody knows whether they will offend you by offering too low or pay over the odds.
I agree with Ron. If you want to chance your arm and see what you can get, put it on Ebay and let the bidding commence. If you want to give someone on the forum a good deal, advertise the price, then we can all assess for ourselves if we're interested or not.
Just my thoughts..Please don't take offense.

Guys, you don't understand. I was a fully paid up member until I had a disagreement and my payment was refunded ( I didn't ask for it back)
As I understand it, anyone can advertise parts for sale, the issue is with the word "offers"
Simon

Ron Earp

Admin
It has nothing to do with supporting the forum or anything like that, zero. Supporting members still have to abide by the subforum rules.

The Garage Sale subforum has rules that can be found here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/28820-garage-sale-rules-1-no-ebay-more-inside.html

And printed here for convenience:

1. No Ebay auctions. If you want to sell it to forum members then list it here. Leave Ebay on Ebay.
  2. No vendor postings or recurrent production postings. This subforum is for individuals to sell parts that they actually own.
  3. You must state a price in the advertisement. This isn't an auction house. If you want offers and bids PUT IT ON EBAY.
  4. You must state your location in the advertisement - city, country.
Anyone can post in the garage sale area. The rules have been in place since 2009 and I think are fairly self explanatory, but I am also keenly aware that Simon doesn't care for the Garage Sale or Car for Sale subforum rules.

There are many other forums that have for sale areas, including Pistonheads, which may not have any restrictions at all.

See?
just nuts!
I think I will take my leave of this forum for a while. It seems common sense has no place here. Trying to do other forum members a favour is frowned upon.
Have fun chaps!

Simon

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What?

1. No Ebay auctions. ...
  2. No vendor postings....
  3. You must state a price ....
  4. You must state your location....
This may just be a pointless psychological question, but can anyone give me a clue what is seen as "nuts" about the above? If the objection is truly to the requirement that there be a stated asking price, the seller just sets that to whatever number he/she would accept without further discussion (it's your "buy it now" price if you'll pardon the ebay terminology). I don't buy that there isn't a figure like that in every seller's mind. Besides, we all know what brand new starters cost, so what's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I honestly don't think it's nuts at all...

I've made two offers to people on this board for items where they solicited offers.. The last one was probably close to two years ago.

The first person ignored my message entirely until I prompted him again to see if he had gotten my offer.
His indignant response was;
Well, had you any idea the value of this item, you'd not have tried to steal it away for a mere pittance of its worth.

I apologized and asked him how much he would be willing to sell it for.

He then sent me another communication that said he would destroy it before he would ever sell it to me for ANY price.

--

The other just sent me a response ...

---

To me - this is bull-crap.... :shifty:

I may not know what the true worth is to someone for some items, but I know what it would be worth to me. I made the offer..
I *won't* do that again...

If you want to sell me something, you had better place your value on it to begin with.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I honestly don't think it's nuts at all...

I'm glad you told that story because it gives me the confidence to point out this recent ad which escaped the rule:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/33423-halibrand-original-new-wheel-spinners-wing-nuts.html

I would dearly love to own a set of these, but the request for "sensible offers" put me off: I have no effing idea what is a sensible offer for something like this, and I guess I didn't particularly want to embarrass my self. So I made no offer at all, which sucks for either me or the seller or both.

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys, this is essentially about the same story that played out about the same time last year:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/site-que...oved-forum-discussion-cars-sale-gtd-sale.html

So this is nothing new. Simon and Frank Catt both objected to the way the "Cars for Sale" and "Garage Sale" section is setup. But the vast majority of people seem to be okay with it.

In any event, while the rules are basically the same there is a subforum where you can make people aware of items/cars/auctions that they may be interested in. It is called The World Market:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/world-market-share-parts-sources-reviews/

So, I suppose one could use it for their own advertising if they wished by linking to their advert on another site. Certainly within the rules.

But if you're going to sell it on the Garage Sale section GT40s.com, to other GT40 enthusiasts, I prefer the rules we have that might foster some sense of community and helpful atmosphere.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I think there might be a bit of cultural misunderstanding here.
Its common within the UK for peeps to advertise for offers.
Nothing underhand is meant. I guess we've grown up with it like that
in the free ads newspapers.
Whilst not wanting to criticise the Forum rules, perhaps common parlence
should be £ 35.00 ono, or such like.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Its common within the UK for peeps to advertise for offers.....perhaps common parlence
should be £ 35.00 ono, or such like.

Never occurred to me it might be a matter of local custom. All I know is that when I hear "make me an offer" my inner voice immediately says "go f--- yourself." Dunno why.

Anyway, according to my understanding of the rule, we have two choices:

1. "£ 35.00" or,
  2. "£ 35.00 ono" (or "£ 35.00 /offer" or whatever).
So I don't think there's really any ambiguity; there just has to be a price stated that will do the deal.

I think the main reason that Simon is cheesed off with this is because I believe that he genuinely wants the stuff to go to an enthusiast. by using the term "offers" in this case I believe means that anything faintly reasonable will win the goodies...

I have spoken with him at length and he is a thoroughly decent bloke. He has been on this site for years helping people wherever possible. He is not a Johnny Come Lately looking to make a quick buck.

However, I understand that rules are rules, and I can also see Ron and Randy's point. It just seems a shame that the spirit of the law has been overshadowed by the letter of the law...

Ron Earp

Admin
Never occurred to me it might be a matter of local custom. All I know is that when I hear "make me an offer" my inner voice immediately says "go f--- yourself." Dunno why.

Same here. And the same for many of my friends as well. I knew it was a regional thing as we discovered last year on the car for sale thread where this exact (nearly) same discussion came up. And I'm sure that Simon, and 99% of us on the forum, are reasonable and helpful folks.

At least for me "make me an offer" puts all the power in the hands of the seller and doesn't seem to be an enthusiast friendly stance. The seller knows what he'll take for it, knows what he paid for it, knows how much work he has into it, and probably knows what the market value is. The buyer can only know what the market value is, and even then maybe not. It seems like a win win ploy for the seller - he either wins big by getting more than he'd be willing to take, or he wins by getting the amount he already knew he'd take.

I'm not going to debate or write any more on the subject. There is an extremely simple solution that Simon can exercise if he wishes and it was suggested already a couple of times. Put a price and "Or Best Offer". He can be obtuse and write "$15,000" or Best Offer" if he wishes, but I would hope he is above that behavior.

And look, if a majority of forum users want the rules changed we'll make it happen. I'll run a poll and let the results fall where they may.

Back