016 upgrade kit

If you have an audi 016 in your GT40 with an open differential and mediocre gear ratios, then this kit is for you. All parts are in excellent condition, with absolutely no issues.

For sale is a stock/factory limited slip differential for an 016, .73 fifth gears, and a spare rear cover. This is what you need to make that clunky open diff 016 a much, much better transaxle.

1. Limited slip. If you're driving a GT40 with an open differential, that's just plain dangerous IMHO. Others may disagree, but my experience is that the car handles much better in corners with power on, and tracks straighter (no torque steer) just going straight down the road. This limited slip is a stock factory (audi/porsche) limited slip in excellent condition. It bolts right into the audi 016 with no modifications at all, just simply remove the open differential and install this limited slip. This limited slip came from an 016 in a porsche 944 turbo and it is exactly the right part for an audi 016.

2. Fifth gear gears. This is the .73 fifth gear set which is a taller ratio than what comes in most US 016s (most in the US are .86 or .85 or thereabouts). This fifth gear ratio combined with the 3.89 final ratio gives you a top speed of 181mph at 6,500 with 26.5 inch rear tires. What this means practically speaking is that at 70mph on the freeway the 302 behind your head is only turning at about 2,300rpm, not 3,000+. Much more relaxed cruising, and better mpg. These fifth gears are fairly easy to change as they sit by themselves under the rear cover and do not require removal of the main gear sets.

3. Spare rear cover. If you're going to add a strengthening kit then here's a spare rear cover you can have machined at your local machine shop (take off 1/4 inch). It cost me $50 bucks to have this done by my local guys.

$875 bucks for everything. I made these modifications to my 016 in a single day, which included installation of the LSD, better fifth gear set, new output/input seals, new diff bearings, and the strengthening kit. The diff bearings are inexpensive and common SKF bearings, and the output/input seals are all readily available for just a few dollars. Check the interwebthingy.

I'm very pleased with my 016 with these changes. Sure, I could have spent $10K on a ZF or rebuilt G50 but the 016 is a sweet transaxle for street driving with very easy shifting and no bad manners at all.

No sales tax, I don't ship to Nigeria, paypal accepted, technical support included.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_7581.jpg
    IMG_7581.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 311
  • Audi Gear Ratios.xls
    73.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Gearbox Reinforcing plate installation[1].pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Bump.

Received one low ball offer of $600.00...... Come on guys, if you're driving an open diff 016 then this is for you. The LSD is $2,700 from the porsche dealer, and these are better than the quaife version which are around $1,400.

I'll take $750 for it.

Hi Michael, I think it was advertised on this forum as I recall. I bought another one later on (still located in a porsche 944 turbo box) via craigslist as well. It was interesting to take apart the 944 016 and compare (looked identical as far as I could tell).

Back