Real GT40 Bellhousing

This is a Genuine GT40 Bellhousing, in excellent condition (does not appear to have ever been installed on a car) for a 5 bolt 289 and a ZF-0. This was sold to me as a Indy car bell for ZF (at about twice what I am listing it here for) but I would have had to cut it up to make it work.
$750.00
David Briggs
(619)339-3838

Attachments

• GT 40 Bellhousing 001.JPG
    GT 40 Bellhousing 001.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 454
  • GT 40 Bellhousing 002.JPG
    GT 40 Bellhousing 002.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 459
  • GT 40 Bellhousing 003.JPG
    GT 40 Bellhousing 003.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 450
  • GT 40 Bellhousing 004.JPG
    GT 40 Bellhousing 004.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 452

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
David,
Do you happen to know how many versions of GT40 ZF bells there were? I ask because I have seen what appear to be at least three (excluding T44 of course) different versions. Also, I understand these are being reproduced. How do the reproductions differ from the original pieces? Before I make a post in the originals section, given your post, I was thinking you may have been over this ground.

Best,
K

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This appears to be for the old-style 289 block, and also has those lower mounting ears for the bolts through the lower part of the transmission support. And I think this is for the smaller ring gear/flywheels and the multi-plate clutch, like an AP or a Tilton. Am I correct?

This is a good price if that's what it is.

Hi Jim, that is exactly what this is, I have a 6 bolt reproduction of this bell on my GT and it uses a smaller diameter flywheel and a double disc clutch, made by Safir GT.
The one I have for sale appears to be an original, if anybody has a method to authenticate that I am happy to submit it for examination.
Dave

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
...The one I have for sale appears to be an original, if anybody has a method to authenticate that I am happy to submit it for examination.

Just to clarify in regard to my query, it wasn't so much original versus reproduction as it was how the features and appearance might differ, thus my question.

Best,
K

I do not know anything about different versions of the original GT40/ZF bellhousings The only reproduction that I am aware of is the Safir GT version which is for a 6 bolt block and a -2 ZF, I have that on my SPF and it is different from the original mostly because of the way a -0 and a-2 mount, the -0 has external braces that attach to the bellhousing and -2 does not.
Dave

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
.....The only reproduction that I am aware of is the Safir GT version which is for a 6 bolt block and a -2 ZF, I have that on my SPF and it is different from the original mostly because of the way a -0 and a-2 mount, the -0 has external braces that attach to the bellhousing and -2 does not. Dave

I have a very early Pantera -2ZF. Some folks call them a -1 1/2 because some of the early -0 and -1 features were still included. In reality it is a -2 in most all respects but does have the external braces on the side plates ala GT40 -0ZF. However, like -2ZFs it has a 5th ZF mounting bolt between the narrower two of the four on your bell pattern (that's ZF to bell, not bell to block). I've had lots of -2ZFs but never had a -0 or -1 in my hands but I suspect the bolt pattern is the same for the 4 common mounting bolts between the zf version. Does anyone know if the bolt patterns are otherwise the same on 4 & 5-bolt ZF versions? David, any chance you could measure the dimensions on the four bolt pattern on your bell? Looks to me like it would bolt up by simply not using the fifth bolt (on the bottom in GT configuration) or possible just welding a fifth boss onto your bell. It would yield a -2ZF for a GT40 that with the GT crown gear cover/mt would be visually similar to a -0.

Best,
Kelly

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Kelly, I will measure the holes today and get back to you this evening. Dave

I compared some pics and read a few more threads and I think the short answer is the mounting patterns are significantly different -0ZF to -2ZF and there are many other dimensional differences as well. In other words a -2ZF with the extensions on the side plates is still a -2 ZF and isnt compatible with a -0 bell.

Best,
K

Back