GT40 Gear Knobs

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I am going to make up a batch of these.
These can be supplied in red or black cloisonné enamel.

I am thinking that I should charge a cost of about £60 each.
The thread form will be original 'UNF" or blank bored.

Let me know if your interested, no promises but if I get enough numbers I will sort it out.

Attachments

• Gear Shift Knob.jpg
    Gear Shift Knob.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 825
  • GEAR KNOB MEDALLION.jpg
    GEAR KNOB MEDALLION.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 910

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The second photo below is of a set knobs made by an old contact of mine who produced the most accurate parts that I have seen and these are what you see on most originally kept cars out there without the medallion.
The medallion knob is the same turning as this and shown in the JWE parts book.

I have a sketch of another original GT40 knob which does not look dissimilar to a certain briar smoking pipe bowl shown below but the sketch lines have smoother curves to the side of the turning and I will be making a couple of knobs like this for myself.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_757.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_757.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Gear Shift Knob.jpg
    Gear Shift Knob.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,
I have just found out that Jay at Cushman Competition is making the original MK I style knobs.
Can I suggest that you try him first.

I stand by my statement to sign me up for one, if I had checked Jays site first I would of went that way, but I try to be true to my word.
- Steve

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
OK Steve if I get enough numbers I will make them.
I said earlier no promises so I will close the book on Friday night and see if it is cost feasible.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Dear All,
Apologies but given the relatively small turn-out I don't believe that this project is a goer.
My metal shop lathes are too good to run wood through them so I went to the wood turning market for prices to batch-run these and got a fright.
The materials and labour time with minimum quantity costs are prohibitive and given that we only need twelve or so I am not willing to sit on a pile expensive stock.
I did try so as small consolation I shall send those that wanted the medallion version one insert in their choice of colour so they can turn their own wood and make up one if they wish.

Back