Roaring Forties #44 - Ron Earp's GT40

Ron Earp

Admin
Roaring Forties #44 - Ron Earp\'s GT40

Alright, just wanting to get this forum started. I'll post some pictures of my engine and transmission getting mated up as soon as I can, probably tomorrow. But, I think you folks get the idea of what this forum is for, for builders of cars to make a sort of update diary.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Roaring Forties #44 - Ron Earp\'s GT40

Oh Happy Day! Ed came over and we put the tranny on the engine in no time flat. I had worked about 4 hours by myself, from getting everything setup, but could not get it on. It was just too hard with one person since when I wiggled stuff everything else moved. But, with two people Ed wiggled the tranny on a cherry picker and I held stuff- bam! Right on! And the pilot bearing is in correctly too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks Ed!

And, Robert, that adapter plate is well done - fits like a champ!

So, I'll pipe it up tomorrow and photo it here for anyone who is interested.

best,
Ron

Well!! It's about time!!
Good going Ron, it's nice when there is two to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HILLY

Supporter

We all appreciate the Ed’s of this world.
My right-hand girl warned me before my project started that the Karting days were over and she would not become involved in any more lifting, cleaning and polishing (all the technical jobs) on the new toy so I am lucky enough to have an Ed named Tim.(Employee / Ford and anything that goes fast and could kill you ‘Freak’) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I told you Ron, all you need it a case of beer and a friend. The rest is easy. Now if I can only talk Hershal into letting me put mine it I'd be happy. He must be mad at me because all he wants me to do is sanding. I hate sanding. i've mentioned that right Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
John

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]
I told you Ron, all you need it a case of beer and a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite true! I just wish my neighbors were into cars but they are not. They all tend their lawns, which look nice, but that is where their time goes. On the other hand, my yard doesn't look so nice. But I can't drive around in a yard, can I?

I'm still thinking a nice yellow and black. There aren't so many of those around yet and I've always liked yellows and oranges.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Here are a few pics of the motor and tranny all hooked up. There are still a lot of loose ends with wires, linkages, etc. but that is basically it. Engine is a 342, all forged internals, AFR 185s, etc.

I've got two exhaust systems and will be putting them both on and shooting pictures. They both fit on the engine without trouble, but I think one might fit my setup slightly better than the other so I'll be selling one of them. Let you know which one tomorrow.

My engine is old school - Weber setup and not much flash. I subscribe to the "Chrome don't get ya home" axiom so my shiny bits are actually powder coated a semi-gloss metal color.

Best,
Ron
motor0001.JPG

motor0002.JPG

motor0003.JPG

Hey Ron,
That system in the photos will fit just fine with one exception, the muffler is on upside down. Turn it over to where the tips are pointing downward or the rear clip won't close over them.. I also noticed that the #7 pipe is not bent up as high as mine is so I think your set of pipes will be OK.

Looks great Ron. Can you tell me which model Canton oil pan you have? It turns out the original-GT40-style Aviad pan I have will interfere with one of the structural members in the engine bay. Hopefully Aviad will work with me on a suitable exchange but if they don't a Canton pan would be at the top of my list.

Ron Earp

Admin

Hershal has the Aviad pan too and can help with mods you need to do. I think it involved something with the lower frame member.

I remember when Bob told me he bought that thing and was excited. For me, I just didn't get it cause it cost so blasted much. I knew Canton made fantastic pans that fit absolutely correctly since they are made from stock pan flanges. I'll check the number, it has the baffles and trap doors in it around the sump and comes with a special pickup.

Ford Pans

STYLE: Shallow “ T “ sump Road Race Style Oil Pan.

FEATURES: Track proven diamond shape road race baffle with four trap doors and runners to direct oil to the pickup under all conditions, bolt in windage tray, temp. fitting, magnetic drain plug, crank scraper and dipstick bung.

SIZE: 8" Deep, 13-1/2" Wide front sump with a 9 qt. system capacity.

PART #’S:
#15-630 pan for 289-302 blocks.
#15-630S pan for 289-302 with heavy duty 14 ga. 12" wide sump for cobra kit cars

I think I got the one for Cobra cars.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Here aer some pics of the other set, I didn't bother with the mufflers. They fit a little tighter but are a hell of a lot harder to get on the motor.
tight2.JPG

tight3.JPG

tight5.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Ron,
That system in the photos will fit just fine with one exception, the muffler is on upside down. Turn it over to where the tips are pointing downward or the rear clip won't close over them..

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no Hershal...

The engine is upside down. Geez Ron, we thought you knew what you were doing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron,

Both sets look great. The first set of pictures is clearly the George Cochran set, and as Hersh said, your #7 pipe looks lower than his (and mine). Who made the second set? They are very nicely done, but I'd get them ceramic coated.

Ron Earp

Admin

Geroge made both. I'm going to sell the first set since Hershal talked me into using the second set. The second set is much harder to fit but I think I can do it. Nothing wrong with the first set although I'd probably re-coat them again. I'll post them in the for sale section.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Got the pedals and seats mounted today, actually made some progress!!! I need to post some pics and will promise to do that this coming Friday.

Don't feel bad Ron, this WEEK I managed to sand 1/2 of my spare cover. Hell yeah movin' along!!

Back