Roaring Forties #18

Well I can finally declare "The '40" finished. Who says that dreams don't come true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

The journey was very enjoyable in its own right, but to see the final product of your labour breath and move under its own power is immensely rewarding.

Many thanks to all that helped along the way, especially the staff at Roaring Forties, and double thanks to Robert Logan. The final product is a credit to the design and development that went into the car.

Attachments

• 29808-104-0436_IMG.JPG
    29808-104-0436_IMG.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 849
Truly impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Guess I'll have to get back out in the garage and do some more work. Congrats. How long did it take you?

Ron Earp

Admin
Very nice, I am extremely jealous as mine is not done!!!! But, mine is on hold - Julie and I bought another house (and I get a seperate garage in addition to the two car built into the house!) but it took a lot of time. And it will also eat a lot of time since we'll have to move in March and April. Fantastic looking car and I like the paint scheme. Have I seen that color combo before? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rbrunckhorst,
It took four years almost to the day from when the space-frame and body rolled off the trailer, to the day it went off to the engineer for approval. Having said that, the job was put on hold for a year while I restored an old race car that I rolled. Combine that with the 3 months that it was away getting the paint, plus a few other minor distractions, and the actual time spent on the car was about two and a half years. I work full time, so most of the work was performed weeknights and weekends.
PS. A wize friend once told me that the last month of a build always takes six months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...very true!

Ron,
The colour combo was inspired by the MkII (chassis???), but the stripes are a little more subtle than the solid black they used. Apart from that, my ID showed the car as it was just days after it came back from the paint shop. I've deliberately tried to vary the colour scheme slightly from anything else I've seen though... just to reflect my individuality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris,
I am new to this board but it is inspiring to see you guys stick to your projects and finish them. It is a beautiful car and more important is your perseverance. Anyone can buy stuff but sitting alone in your garage and figuring it out, even with the help of others, is what gives you the real joy. Get out and drive that car. What fun you will have showing it to all your friends and I am sure a few doubters.
Great job. INSPIRING.
Steve

Mark,
The headlight recesses are painted the same colour as the stripes and there's no tint. The picture was taken on a cloudy day with the light from behind so it gives the impression of tint... interestingly I had the same question asked by someone who was watching me take that picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris,
You have impeccable taste ! I really like the silver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And the license plate is familiar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Congratulations mate !!

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris,

The car really does look stunning, I'm having a test panel painted in a very similar colour scheme! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif can't wait to see the results in the flesh!!

Do you have any more pictures we can all drooll over?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Chris GREAT LOOKING JOB congratulations!! Did you have much
trouble getting it registered? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Julian,
My intention was to take lots of pictures at a picturesque location, but every time I'd find somewhere a crowd would gather so I couldn't take a clean shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Finally I took some shots in front of Roaring Forties just so that I could have something to show... but there will be more to come.

Pete,
I made an early decision to buy all the parts from RF and build it to exact RF specifications. That way I would have minimal problems when it came time to register it. As it turned out, the car was passed without any problems.

Chris,
I was fortunate enough to see your car at Roaring Forties whilst picking up some parts for mine just before christmas. It was parked next to the Gulf coloured car which was almost ready to go to the U.S. Both were fabulous cars and a photo I took showing both cars greets me every time I open my computer. The colour is even better in good light as it shows the flowing lines of the car in a brilliant blending of shades of silver. Congratulations on completing and registering such a fine example.
Robert Shepherd
RF # 77

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Chris, CONGRATS (big time) - that is one sweet looking car. The sight of rego plates on a '40 just plain turns me green ! We'll get together soon, even if I have to stick mine on a bloody trailer & tow it !!

Kind Regards & lots of Envy !

Peter D.

Way to go Chris
We welcome another fine example into the world, I only wish it was mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clayton

Robert,
You’re correct about the shades of silver accentuating the lines. I had the car on display last weekend at a classic car event next to two other RF40s (for the locals… it was the RACV classic car rally at the Mornington Race Coarse). There were a number of people who insisted that I had a different body shape to the other RF40s. I had to convince them that it was just the colour that gave them that impression.

PS There were a number of pics taken of the event, but for some reason the digital camera had off-centered all the pictures… go figure???

Attachments

• 29860-104-0411_IMG.JPG
    29860-104-0411_IMG.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 795
Peter,
I'm planning to drive the car to Canbera next Easter which is not quite Sydney, but if you want to catch up I'll be more than happy to keep you posted.

Chris,
The color scheme you used is indeed lovely to look at. Since I ordered my car I have spent a lot of time thinking about what the final paint color would be. Forget about all that has to happen before I get to that point it's more fun dreaming about the finished product. With that said it turns out that I had decided on the same combination you used. Besides the fact that it looks good it's also easier to keep looking good.

Here in South Florida there is a high percentage of sand that is blown around and is impossable to get away from. Dark colors tend to very diffacult to keep from showing scratches and stone damage especially if the front of the car is low. Then there is the heat, I once had a black corvette that was impossable to sit in after it had sat in the summer sun for a couple of hours.

Anyway congratulations to you on the great job you did with your car.

Peter

Back