Safir GT40 Mark I

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't have too much to post at this point, but received word that the now completed monocoque of my car is getting crated for shipment to the US within the next week or two. Most likely it will go to Detroit (home of 'the other' car company, what's their name) and go by ground to Safir GT40 in Cincinnatti, OH. When it's here and unpacked, I will put some photos up. I hope to have something to entertain you all within a few weeks.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No way to know, David, and they have not promised one. I think they will try, but it is not guaranteed by any means. The reason I have asked them to build the car is their expertise and access to parts as well as their history of building GT40s and their large parts inventory. They are also very good folks and have been as helpful as they possibly could be.

Are you having this built as a one-off project or is it possible to get a chassis built as you are. Could you list who to contact if one is interested.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Lee, the person to contact would be Bob Wood at Safir GT40; try him through the Forum, he occasionally posts here. If you don'thave any luck, email me at [email protected] and I will put you in touch. They will sell a complete body, they will build you a chassis, or a complete car, around a Mark I style chassis.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim, is this chassis the same one built by Classic Car Developments? Are Dave's tubs built to the original Ford drawings?
Pete

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This chassis was begun by Brown and completed by Adams-McCall in the UK. They felt it was a very accurate replica of an original monocoque. David Brown has said that he uses original drawings and templates. You would have to ask him for more accurate information.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, some progress; flywheel and ring gear arrive tomorrow and go to the machine shop and they will start putting the engine together. When I have a recognizeable engine, I will put up photos. We are using a 68 302 block, SCAT forged rotating assembly, main support, AFR heads and the 'experimental' 3x2 Weber setup from Pierce. And new from Summit Performance....HELIUM INJECTION...it doesn't make it go any faster but it raises the exhaust note to sound just like the engine is doing 18,000 revs!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does it make you giggle everytime you start the engine too ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's nitrous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I guess my sarcastic(English) sense of humour may have gotten lost in the transatlantic translation.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyone standing behind the car or riding your bumper (I know, there isn't one) will instantly start talking like Donald Duck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim,

Imagine what that first cop that pulls you over, is going

to sound like! He'll be a 6'6", 250lb, mirrored

sunglasses, tough as nails, hard ass, with the voice of

Spongebob Squarepants! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That alone, would be worth the price of a helium tank!

Bill

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes, there's a nitrous purge system that might be fun that way. Does anyone happen to have a set of AFR heads PN 1388 they aren't using, looking for a good home, let me know...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Small update on a few things (no photos yet, sorry): chassis is crated and flying out Tuesday, be in Ohio Weds if all goes well) (X=crossed fingers). I located an original set of steel Vbelt SBF pulleys from Kentucky Mustang, 888 861 0176, which I will glass bead and clean up. These are 289 pulleys, we are using a single belt since there is no A/C right now. AND, after numerous phone calls, a set of AFR heads are on the way. From Ed Curtis at FlowTech in Rhode Island. If you are planning on using AFR heads, I found that there is frequently a wait to get them- they are a HOT item and in scarce supply. Photos of engine soon, with a little luck.

Back