Roaring Forties #90

Ok, I'm first attempt at posting a picture.

Attachments

• 31581-DSCN0307.JPG
    31581-DSCN0307.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,256
I wanted to post my first impressions of #90 while still fresh in my mind. When the car was delivered all i could do was walk around it and take it in from every angle. This was pure emotion. Today in take a more objective look and discribe what I really was delivered. Robert and Hershal both were a pleasure to work with and as I have discovered put me on the right path to getting this project started.

The car arrived packed to the gills with several boxes none of which have been opened yet. but I have gotten all that stuff out of the way so that I could get in for the first time. The feeling was more intense than I had imagined it to be. You do not get into this car you put it on. With that said I did take a close look at the quality of the frame and the glasswork finding it all to my standards. I am truly please with #90.

More will be posted as I get her unpacked an work starts.

Peter

Attachments

• 31584-DSCN0308.JPG
    31584-DSCN0308.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,204

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Peter,

Good luck with the project. Please let me know if I or any of my staff can be of assistance. Try not to be overwelmed with the project, just tackle one job at a time and I suggest that you start with the aluminium skinning inside the passengers compartment (as detailed in the workshop manual). Please remember to contact me at any time if you have problems as that mole hill on Friday evening can be a mountain on Monday morning if allowed to fester.

Good luck, take your time and above all remember the family indoors !!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Peter,
Congratulations on the arrival of your new family member /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . If you are anything like me, it wouldn’t have been so much a feeling of being overwhelmed, as a feeling of being over-awed. That’s when you stand there staring at it going “AWWW WOW” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . You will have many more of those moments as you progress.

As with every project we only see the fun part and never think about the work that gets you to the fun stuff. Since #90 arrived I have been finding places to store the parts and pieces. My diffaculty is finding spots that one, don't piss the wife off. (that means out of her site.) Two, are not in my way when I start to work on the car itself. Three, that will allow me to keep the Porsche garaged next to the 40 as much as possable. (I did buy a new outdoor cover for it, for the occasion when it does have to stay out.) Four, will protect and not distort the body panels.

I do have a 10 x 15 shed next to my garage and have been building a two level shelf large enough to store the front and rear clips one above the other laying flat. (Question, can I store the front clip laying flat but with the bottom side up properly supported so that it is not just resting on the fender curve?) The doors and dash will also be stored here sitting on the back edge. The lower panels and glass go to the spare bedroom and I haven't figured the seats out yet. At no time when dreaming about the car did I once think about these problems.

To all those that offered cheers, thanks for the good wishes.

As for what I purchased, I ordered the following.

RF Rolling Chassis
Panels in stainless steel
Water System (Radiator, Pipes, hoses, fans, etc)
A/C Kit
Fuel Tanks
Body Hinges
Glass kit
Wireing harness
Seats in black leather

Peter

Hi Peter, The happy days have arrived. I hope you have good luck keeping everything out of view of Mama. I could never have built my car, not that I wouldn't like to, it's just that I don't have the time or space. I would love to keep my CAV in my garage, but Mama wants it out of her site. You see it was supposed to be a down payment for a new house. I keep it in a mini storage facility near my home. You have to put your foot down and show her who wears the pants in the family. My pants were cut off about 4 inches above the knees, but I still have my CAV. Good luck with your build and keep turning those wrenches. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Peter, If you post what area you live there may be a GT-40 owner that can give you some assistance or let you see a conpleted car to get references to. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry, I have updated my signiture to display my location.

Plantation Florida USA, one of the many cities in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Temp today, slight clouds and eighty outside.

Peter

PeterO congrats on the new arrival. I'm sure it will bring you months of pleasure and years once on the road.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Peter,

Not a problem with the storage of the front clip as you suggested. The major problems happen when the spider is stored off the car and when the doors are left resting on walls with large changes in temperature.

Enjoy.

Robert & Hersh

One solution for storing those bulky pieces of fiberglass is to put long 2x4's under the mounting points. Secure them to the wood. Then if you have trusses or a high ceiling, jerryrig a rope system and hoist them up out of the way. Make sure you have plenty of lights in the work area, as they cast big shadows.
Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
How to deal with the wife problem. For the 6 months prior to buying your 40 go to the bar twice a week and stay until 8 or 9 o'clock. At just the right time, the first time you hear the word lawer, buy the car and never go back to the bar. From then on learn to say "I could be at the bar honny"

Well it's been a little while since I updated this buid page on RF #90. I wish I could say that I had made great strides but that would not be the case. Between work, honny do's, and preparing to buid I just did not get a lot done. I was like the bride that keeps planning the wedding but never quite getting married.

Anyway some things did get done, I got a Audi 5N transmission on ebay for $225.00 which I want to do a rebuid on. I have gotten a lot of new tools that I never had before and darn if I,m not using them. I started the cladding process and learned that stainless can be a pain in the A** when you have never worked with it before. Untill I started this project I had never cut SS let alone rivited anything. I would now rather run around hell with firecrackers tied to you know were than give up my air riviter.

At first the results looked rough, but improved as I learned how to best use the tools and work with the SS. For example I am not proud of my rear bulkhead window cutout, or the opening for engine eccess, but I'll clean those items up as I go along.

This past weekend was a good one, I completed the side panel that covers the brake balance valve, brake and A/C line and am very happy with how it came out. Today I will complete the center gearchange.

My engine did arrive last month. After a lot of consideration I settled on a 302 bored .30 over for 306CI. The motor is based on an 87 truck block that has been aligned bored and blue printed. included in the build are Twisted Force heads and matching roller cam.I have ordered a Canton road race oil pan along with a high performance oil pump for the bottem end. My builder is local with an engine dyno and will work with me to tune the motor for 385 to 400 HP. The motor will be injected, I just havent decided on which 8 stack system yet.

The door bell just rang, the oil pan is here and looks great. That puppy goes on tonight.

Attached are a couple of pics, more to follow as I pick up the pace.

Peter

Attachments

• 42013-DSCN0494.JPG
    42013-DSCN0494.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,141
Back