Roaring Forties #80

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would show the reverse progress. We have been dissambling to get the body ready for painting. Fuel system is pretty much in. Can't hook up the swan necks until after the body is painted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 32424-DSCF0026.JPG
    32424-DSCF0026.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 784

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Rolf,

The fuel caps should be fitted before the front clip is preped for painting as the over center release on the filler cap can foul the appeture (hole) in the front clip when it is opened and closed. This fouling must be fixed with a little to spare for the thickness of the paint prior to the paint job.

Phone me tomorrow if this is unclear (it seems a clear as MUD to me on re-read).

Best wishes,

Robert & Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You should also mount the swan necks before painting so you don't tear up the front of the spider. You'll need to drill for the covers, then fit and drill the swan necks. I bought an extra fuel filler cap and drilled a hole in it, ran a bolt through it to a beam over the hole. This held it firmly in place while I drilled and fit the swan neck. Make sure your tanks are in so you can line up the necks with the tanks. I actually had to cut the outside bend of swan neck and have it welded shut to be able to fit in properly.

Attachments

• 32469-DSC06393.JPG
    32469-DSC06393.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 641

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Pat,

We have never had to do this on one of our cars. Please send me some more photographs so I can check out the reason for such work.

Robert

Hershal fitted the filler caps when he was out here last November. I'll dummy fit everything again before I pull the spider off for priming.

Well I've had a few good weekend when I could work on the car. It now can stand on its own legs (tires). Steering works and the brakes work too. Clutch hydraulics installed. Next I start on the coolent system. Aft clip is primed. Pics to follow (hopefully). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 34572-DSCF0046.JPG
    34572-DSCF0046.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 657
<font color="red"> </font> OUTSTANDING ROLF 1111
YOU ARE REALLY COOKIN' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep up the good work. At this rate
you will be driving that thing at Run &amp; Gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just an update. The engine is starting to go together. The transaxle is done. The body panels are going to be sealed this week end. There is still Hope! Enclosed some pics of the engine.

Attachments

• 38045-Engine 002.jpg
    38045-Engine 002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 630
Rolf,
Your tanasity is paying off. I am amazed at the progress!!
I can't wait to see this GT finished. You really are doing a super job.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Hershal,
The body panels go to the paint booth June 4th. By the way, any ideas on how I can adapt the wiring harness to work on an engine dyno? Also, I can't find an adaptor to connect the motec box to a lap top. We could do the initial run in on the engine dyno with a carb set up, then fine tune it on a chasis dyno with the motec unit, but it would be nice to use the motec unit on the engine dyno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I think you'll be better off using a chassis dyno all around. If you run it with a carb all you'll be doing is verifying that the engine works - which it will anyhow. Whatever you do on the engine dyno won't bear a resemblance to running the unit with the 8 barrel and Motec.

Yes. the MoTec unit has far more capability than a carb set up. I'm currently talking to Motec about sending out a loom so we can do an engine dyno. It may cost a bit but it clearly is the best way to go.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Rolf, I just happen to have a complete RF / Motec engine wiring harness sitting in a box (never to be used by me as I have gone with an Autronic ECU &amp; a home-brew harness).

The RF / Motec harness sat in the car for a while &amp; collected some dust, but was never used in anger.

Let me know if you are interested.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Spent all day yesterday in the paint booth. It took ten coats of base coat to hide the primer! I hope to finish the stripes and clear coat it this morning. Here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif are some pics of the base coat. Still negotiating with Motec re the wiring loom.

Attachments

• 39101-Paint booth 6.jpg
    39101-Paint booth 6.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 614
Back