Roaring Forties #091

Roaring Forties # 091 arrived in Oklahoma on July 18th.
I have been getting everything organized and had to finish up some other projects I started while waiting for the deluxe kit's arrival. While unpacking the parts for many hours I was very impressed with the thorough job RF does in organizing each sub assembly in its own packages and boxes. Everything was very well packaged for safe arrival in excellent shape. Yesterday I removed the suspension and steering rack to ease the metal work on the chassis and to save myself from knocking a knee .

Today ,July 29th ,I started to actually work on the car fitting the first stainless panel in the footwell area and will post pictures as that comes along further.
Notice : No Girly Man flowered drapes in the shop for me ! haha

P.S. wife has never seen a GT40 in real life till now.
first two comments "its a midgets car"
and "how am I going to get in that thing" LOL

Attachments

• 41533-P7290005a.jpg
    41533-P7290005a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,198
Congratulations on your new arrival. Looks like you have a very nice work area complete with television! I'll be curious to see what it looks like after you fit the body!

HILLY

Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifNow now Dan, there is nothing wrong with a flowered drape or two. In fact it takes a bigger man to rise above the attached stigma and ridicule associated with the feminine adornments. The advantage of my floral drapes is that when they end up grubby and full of fiberglass I will be able to throw them out and replace them with a second hand set of Tonka Truck or Sesame Street models which should really enhance the work place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Enjoy your build.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I want to 2nd the wait until you see the dust comment. I had to bring home a full containment face shield mask to blow out my garage with a leaf blower.

When you do this turn on the front lawn sprinkler system to knock down the dust cloud. In this way you won't need to wash all your neightbors cars afterwards.

Get the picture.

By the way I just finished my GTD's body work. It's at the paint shop now. Anyway I did the body last. I wish I did it first all the way up to finished primer. Then complete all systems work. And lastly take apart again and paint with color coat.

Oh nice garage.............he he he

Hilly , just having a little fun with you , your one cool cat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Come on guys have a little faith in your fellow gt forum members. I have painted two race cars in that same shop . Plastic, tape, shop-vac. and damp rags do wonders, any thing else you just live with it . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan, is that Fox News Channel I see on the telly? If so, then you must be part of that "vast, right-wing conspiracy."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That chassis looks good in your shop, Dan. Have fun with your build.

HILLY

Supporter
G’Day Dan, It looks like you have it all under control. I am sure you realize that we are all green with envy and wish that we had the same surrounds to work in.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Dan, congratulations on your new arrival. That looks like a bar in front of the t.v.correct? Looks like a great work area. Hope you don't mind if I steal a couple of ideas...Now where can I fit the pool table and the lap dancing pole??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That lap dancing pole sounds like a good idea for a hood ornament!
I may have to keep the defroster on all the time though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
True, but when you went through a toll booth, I reckon you would be collecting instead of giving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Dan,
Your car looks very different than when I helped Hershal load it in Arizona a few weeks age.
I'm certain you'll make the Irish man proud building the car in what looks like a PUB.
Good luck with your project!

Thanks guys for the,,, positive comments. I built the bar this past winter . I used to eat dinner (sometimes , lol) using my slotcar table as my place to set my plate. When I got more room by selling a few other toys I decided why not a bar and nice cabinet behind it. I collect some old tube radios and really didnt have too many places to display them in the house so I morphed my car stuff collection and the radios together and put some adult beverages in the mix for good measure. Last night AFTER working on the car for a couple hours I sat back and had A cold one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
It was a good way to end the day , looking at your project starting to progress a little. Oh the slotcar table is to the left in that top pic, just out of sight. We have one big "great room" in our home , so this added a nice 2nd living getaway spot . When the 40 is finished I'm going to paint the uncarpeted area a checkered pattern. (hmmm as if I need to plan out more work already ,,hahah)
Oh update on what the wife said next (3rd thing now)
as Im sitting in the car drilling panels.
"honey you look nice sitting in your boat "
LOL,,, shes a real card ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Guys,
I was standing in the same spot that photo was taken. I can tell you that it's probably the best and most interesting garage and family room combo I have ever seen. It kinda reminds me of Tim the Tool Man Taylor type of shop. And by the way, Dan has a Autographed photo of him and Tim Allen hanging on the wall. There was many other famous people with Dan at races he attended. I guess being a CART safety inspector has it's privledges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Them old radios are really neat. They have a sound of their own. They don't make stuff like that anymore. The cabinetry is awsome on those radios

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DAN,

GLAD YOU'RE FINALLY GETTING STARTED AND HAVE SOMETHING TO DO TO OCCUPY YOUR FREE TIME
I'LL BE COMING UP TO THE TULSA AREA SOON AND WOULD LIKE TO DROP BY AND REVIEW YOUR PROGRESS IF THAT'S OK.

BEN

Well its been a little over 3 weeks and I have been pretty busy. I went out of town 2 weekends and spent another working on something else. The RF is slowly coming along though and the stainless has been really pretty good to work with . Sometimes a little painfull when your trimming with a rotary file and shorts on ,,, ouch. lol.
But really I am enjoying it . Here are a few pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 42630-P8220010a.jpg
    42630-P8220010a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 915

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hi Dan,
What kind of rotary file are you using to trim your stainless?
I have stainless on order and I'm trying to prepare!

Thanks,

Hi Jim, I am using many supplies from "The Yard" in Wichita Kansas. They have a good supply of rotary files ,drill bits , drill stops and clecos.
I am using the carbide rotary files (cylindrical, and pointed tree, 3/8 " cutting dimension. Larger ones cant get into small areas and get hard to control. You might want to get a cylyndrical 1/4 inch one also.
The bits are cobalt #21 (5/32) at $1.45 each, and they hold up well. I recommend a drill stop too.saves the bits and whatever is behind what your drilling.
You can purchase clecos new or used from them. I bought #21 used clecos for 25 cents a piece and they are almost like brand new. I found only a couple bent ones in the whole lot and they are pretty clean too. Thats a good deal. I recommend 200.Get a pair of cleco pliers while your at it. I am using a 90 degree high speed grinder to work with the stainless. If you are new to this you will find they work best when your work is parallel to the handle part of the grinder, vs. perpendicular. Otherwise the file will "buck" and jump around. Here is the link to the yard and they have free shipping on orders of $75 dollars or more, and no I am not related to this outfit, LOL. Just happy with their product and service and fast free shipping. the Yard
I am Dan Weilacher and I endorse this mssg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I knocked out the bulkhead window and the engine access hatch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 42802-P8250002a.jpg
    42802-P8250002a.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 869
Well its been over a month , so I better get a few pics up. I shot on the left front wheel well tonight. Over the weekend got the back bulkhead shot on. Shot and sealed up (a little too much sealant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) on the lower and upper front panels and put the steering rack in at the same time,,, whew,,, what a $%^#& that thing is to get in. Reminds me of some kind of kids puzzle that you cant figure out ! Have the famous "S" panel made and fit. Have the front bulkhead and mid bulkhead most of the way done, and have the top panels cut to size , but need to polish and drill .Door hinge panels fit, and polished ready for install. Unfortunatly am finding all the "handling " damage on the stainless that occured before I received my kit. There was tire tracks and foot prints all over the outside covering of the "envelope" that contained all the precut stainless panels. Some pretty deep scratches creases and ripples in some of the sheets resulted. Trying to micro mesh some of the scratches out. I am using Mr Douglas metal polish, and a polishing wheel to shine up my stuff and it does work real nice.(thanks for the tip Jim Dewar !).

Attachments

• 43828-P9130010b.jpg
    43828-P9130010b.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 922
Back