GT40 Australia #32 - Time for Rebuild

I have purchased GT40 Australia(DRB) chassis #32. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was built and registered in 2000 by a DRB agent for a customer. I actually saw this GT40 being built, but didn't realise it was the same GT40 until I got comfirmation who built it.

It's been for sale for quite a while and really needs some TLC. It's complete, approved and has been registered since 2000.

Would prefer to build one from scratch, but for my current situation and environment buying this GT40 completed made more sense. Plus a lot has to be said for a car that is already registered and approved having just gone through the hoops to get a Cobra approved last year. Boy have things got tough lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This GT40 has had a lot of money spent on it. Luckily for me the mechanicals are very close to what I would have done. The interior looks ok, don't love it, don't hate it, it will do for now. A lot of the body fittings are poor or inappropriate, so need changing. Also needs a paint, which means I can actually paint it a colour I like. This gives me the opportunity to get widened rear-end retro-fitted, change mirror locations, fit MKIII style windows, clean up ducts etc etc.

I'll detail specifics of what I'm doing in a follow up post.

Some background on me:

Built DRB Cobra with my brother in 1997, sold it last year.
Built Harrison Cobra with my brother in 2003, once it was finished I sold my half to my brother.
Been thinking about next project ever since, but house renovations have gotten in the way...

Here is a photo of it as it currently stands.

Attachments

• 46812-124-2421_IMG.JPG
    46812-124-2421_IMG.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,180

Keith

Ouch! Is that a PINK wheel? Apart from that, rebuild? Some people are NEVER happy! (lucky dog) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch! Is that a PINK wheel? Apart from that, rebuild? Some people are NEVER happy! (lucky dog) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The steering wheel is actually red/orange colour. Thinking it would look better if those hard plastic bits were painted the same colour as outside. Blend interior a little more with exterior. Will look for some other highlights I can also paint body colour to lift the interior.

On the rebuilding note, fit and finish just wasn't up to the standard that I would do. Lots to do...I can make the it look much better, drive much better, be much more comfortable, be more reliable. Just a much better car. And I can do most of it in bits and pieces and keep it on the road. And yeah, I'm pretty fussy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good Onya Craig have fun.I know what you mean about how tough rego is getting, I have that to look forward to.
P.R. got his through a couple of weeks ago so there is still hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks, I know what your first reaction was, "wow, I know that GT40".

You are in good hands with P.R. approval will just be a matter of jumping through the same hoops he did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lucky we are not in NSW, RTA is a killer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've really just saved some time, money and hassle not having to worry about approval & rego. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm fortunate like you in that I only live about 25mins from the GT40 Aus workshop...very, very handy.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
You are right,not only do I know it P.R. took me for a quick
fang around the block in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifIt goes like a rocket and stops as it should. I know what the ask price was and reckon you have picked up a bargain. See you at the next sizzle.

I'm guessing it must have done close to 2000km's while in the hands of P.R. At least it was getting used and enjoyed. Didn't like the fact though that it was sitting out in weather all those days over past 6 months or so while it was up for sale.

One of my first jobs is to identify and record all parts that have been used to build this car. For anyone buying a semi-completed or completed car this is a must I reckon. With resources available on the internet this is much easier to do.

In the first stage of rebuild I've decided to do body and wheels as this will have the biggest impact to this car and really put my own stamp on it.

Firstly to decide between original look or go for a more modern look. Decided for various reasons to go for a more modern look, using modern colours, modern wheels and more modern body fittings.

Paint Colours:
It will be painted modern perl/mica mid-blue with dual white stripes. It will also have white sill stripes. Currently deciding on what colour, some great modern colours available. Some I like are Ford Shockwave, Mazda Winning Blue & Subaru WR Blue Mica. (Don't worry Pete I won't paint it Mazda Velocity Red /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Body fittings that are being fitted/replaced/modified:
Rear Window - current window has bowed and is generally poor quality.
Side Windows - fitting separate quarter windows, hinging/lift out main window.
High Mount Mirrors - better visibility and rear transforms look of car
Fit spigots to better locate front/rear clips
Fit Rear Clip Safety Locking Pin - currently has rubber straps inside wheel arches.
Flair rear wheel arches - wider wheel arches as supplied as option by factory
Replace number plate lights with ones I can colour code with body.
Cool looking polished tow hooks front/rear.
Rear mesh grills - which means also shifting the exhaust out centre hole.

Also got to fix up alignment of panels, test for leaks and get it ready for paint.

Wheels/Tyres
More than likely use Simmons 3 piece forged alloy FR17 wheels with polished centres. 17x9" front, 17x12" rear.
Tyres will probably be Pirelli Asymetrico - 245/40ZR17 front, 335/40ZR17 rear.

Peter Ransom at GT40 Australia has spent a lot of time with me already, answering questions, showing me things that I might like to try. Actually everyone in the workshop is very helpful as well. The quality of GT40's they are building are amazing and they are just as keen to help me rebuild my GT40 to be the best it can possibly be. A very pleasent surprise and one of the main reasons for jumping into this particular project.

Image below is closeup of body fittings currently fitted.

Side windows with poor sliding sections and wrinkled tinting.
Side Mirrors that will become totally useles when wheel arches are widened.
No mesh on rear
No tow hook
Number lights that are not body coloured.

Attachments

• 46960-bodybits2.jpg
    46960-bodybits2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,048
These are style of fittings I would like:

1. Rear grills like this fitted.
2. Side windows like this(except they won't have groove around them)
3. High mount side mirrors and also same style side windows with main window lifted out.

Attachments

• 46961-bodybits3.jpg
    46961-bodybits3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Wheels and tyres as detailed above, well I think the front wheels are only 8" wide. Haven't decided if I want to also fit the replica spinners.

Attachments

• 46962-wheelsfinal.jpg
    46962-wheelsfinal.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,022
Comparison of my current guards(white) and wide rear guards(blue). Bit hard to compare in photos, look great in the flesh.

Attachments

• 46963-rearguardfinal.jpg
    46963-rearguardfinal.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,030
And finally tow hooks.
(sorry they have come up a bit grainy, they are smooth and highly polished)

GT40 Australia is supplying all the good stuff and even widening the guards for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 46964-towhookfinal.jpg
    46964-towhookfinal.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 988
Hi Craig
I had the privelege of a ride out to QR in the beast with P.O.
The vehicle is a solid unit and a good buy, P.R. and his crew have indeed kept it well, considering available space.
Maybe now you have a 40, it is time for membership in the club.....
See you at the sizzle on the 4th
Next breakfast at Fitzy's Dec 19 8:00am
All the best Des

Hi Craig,

I had the pleasure to take a close look at this car a few months ago. It is superb! I took a few photos, so if you wish to have more for your collection, just let me know.

Des, will have to check out the club. I will also remain a member of Cobra club as well as I have some really great friends there. Will try and make it to a few events, still busy finishing off renovations and of course the GT40.

Thanks Richard for the offer, I will take some extra snaps so I should be right for photos. Probably end up taking way to many.

If you like the car now, wait to you guys see what I have planned for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have also been informed that it is actually build no. 31, not 32. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've asked Ron to update the title etc if possible. Apologies to Greg Marriott who is the rightful owner/builder of chassis #32.

Will update on latest with the build soon.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Craig, welcome aboard !

A couple of ideas :

- Re the side windows - I have the "MKIII" windows & they are great. You can get good ventilation & can even reach out to pay tolls ! The best part is that you can just take out the main window alltogether (I haven't had mine in since rego) - nice breeze & not too much turbulence at all. I kept my frames separate so that I can replace the whole show with the more "original" one-piece MK1 windows if needs be in the future (see pic).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 47549-FujiPicturesD017.jpg
    47549-FujiPicturesD017.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,010

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Next idea - re the Simmons wheels. I did a lot of thinking & looking, & finally decided to go with these, but with black centres. My reason was that I thought the spinners got a bit lost in an all-polished setup & that the black centres made the whole setup look a bit less "modern". (See pic, but please ignore the horrible temporary exhaust !!).

I am also planning on making up some cover plates for the wheel nuts so that they look a bit more like pin-drives.

Just some food for thought.

You are in for some serious fun !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 47550-9-Exhaust.jpg
    47550-9-Exhaust.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,017
Back