Brett's RS GTD

Brett\'s RS GTD

Now I have finished travellling, I have been able to spend a few days last week actually starting on the GTD.

Near Side Fuel Tank pontoon, Roy came and adde some sill strengtheners.

Attachments

• 55636-ns_fuelpanel.jpg
    55636-ns_fuelpanel.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,385
Re: Brett\'s RS GTD

Brett,

May i make a suggestion regarding your second picture.

Rivet the side panel under the vertical one. You show it and its flange on top and it will never be really neat, water tight and generally "clean" that way.

Graham @ GTA.

Thanks Graham, much appreciate. I am pretty much having to make all the panels myself, which I am finding great... its only occaisonall the wife is hearing "Oh B@ll@cks", to which she relies "how much did that cost" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brett

Nice one Brett keep up the good work - what are you using to cut the ally ?
Just that I found the shears hard to use and moved over to using a jigsaw.

Paul,
I am using a mini-wheel cutter from Machine Mart, it also allows (up to a point) you to do curves as well. The nice thing I found is that it gives a 'clean' edge, rayther than having to tidy up after a jigsaw. I think these are slightly different to shears, as you end up doing a continuous cut.

Brett

Interesting...I found the shears much cleaner/easier
to use than cutoff wheel. The key is to clamp the material
so it doesn't move, and use BOTH hands to keep the shear
steady. Installing a fence would also be a good idea for those panels that will be highly visible.
I do use the cutoff wheel to get into corners.

MikeD

Nice work Brett. That one panel with the overlap flange. You can cut those off and use some adhesive sealer to stop squeaks and moisture from getting in. It will look neat too.
Oh yeah, thanks for tiding up the oval. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

very nice brett if you need any help or tools i'm only 10 mins away m8 even if its just to hold something while you rivet it

Rear Struts - Paul T you might recognise these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 56120-rear_struts.jpg
    56120-rear_struts.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,107

Just mocked up a tank to check I have the right space between it and the cooling pipes.

Attachments

• 56174-pipe_tank_mock.jpg
    56174-pipe_tank_mock.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,781

Brett...
This may sound crazy, but if you have any access to a table saw or even a circular (hand held) saw they both do a pretty good job of cutting aluminum, a little WD40 or something equivalent on the blade and you can acheive perfect cuts. I got this idea while picking up some material at my supplier, they use what I can only describe as a panel saw to cut 1/4" and thicker, and the cuts are super straight. Just be careful about kickback on the thin stuff.
Good luck
Phil

Brett,

RS GTD #1(?) is looking great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have used Phil's aluminum cutting method in the past. It does make nice, clean cuts, but the thinner material has a tendency to jump around, if not clamped down tightly. You can avoid kickback by reversing the blade. Be careful that the saw doesn't try to run away from you though.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!
Metal shavings aren't exactly "eye friendly".
They WILL be flying everywhere using the saw method!

Bill

Malcolm

Supporter

Brett

Some thoughts for you to consider or bin as you see fit!

I see you have the square tube rear stay bars. Rumour comes back to me that these are highly unlikely to be acceptable to RAC MSA as part of any competition roll cage as they have gone off square tube construction. My suggestion is to say remanufacture these in appropriate round tube (I think 48mm CDS2 2.5 mm wall thickness but check to make sure first!) and also to raise the top mounting point as high as you can get it. You crrently have left space for the deck catches, but I would re-jig those with the higher mounting point as if you do roll it, you won't give a stuff about deck catches compared to creaming your head!

If you drill a small hole in the struts (and I was always told to do it about 1/3 in from an end) this will allow scrutineers to check wall thickness of the material without destructive testing.

As to square tube struts, I do have these on my car. However as the original person to do this, I did have the design that I used independantly certified by the MSA after computer analysis of the GTD chassis by a highly qualified engineer/crash investigator contact. But I used a different section square tube than you have used and the lower mounting set up is slightly different. However as time went by the MSA have changed their minds on square tube generally and as others have experienced since, there is a big tendancy to requiring these to be round tube struts now. You may not get your competition Log Book with your current set up.

As with all advice, what you do with the above comments is totally up to you!

But I thought you knew......

Malcolm,
Thanks for the thoughts. I was aware of the MSA regs and recent changes, but this car is not being built for competition in mind... yet. Its primary focus will be for road/trackdays. The struts are Roy's old ones, hence that Paul might have noticed them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My goal is to have this car and learn to drive it on the road and track(days) and then once I have done to look to build another for track use, purely for track. I have already had the plan approved by the big boss (admittedly it took a bottle of wine). It is a long term plan though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brett

[ QUOTE ]
I have already had the plan approved by the big boss (admittedly it took a bottle of wine). It is a long term plan though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brett

[/ QUOTE ]

Flippin' heck Brett - that must have been some bottle of wine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back