Race Car Replicas RCR-40 Build

Just getting started, so I thought I'd throw a few pictures up for everyone to check out...what a fun project! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cooling lines were made with schedule 40 6061 aluminum pipe (1.5" I.D.). We had them bent at a local muffler shop. I had to clean up the areas on the pipe where the die scored it. I also beveled all the edges where the rubber hose attaches so it will accept 1.5" radiator hose (TIGHT fit.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The cooling lines were wrapped with header wrap before inserting them into the chassis.

http://gt350.ogsth.com/RCR40/coolinglines.jpg

Re: the fuel pump...I may have to re-route the suction if the elevation is too much for the pump.

Great pics Mike. I plan on building one of Fran's MKI GT40 kits and I have a few questions:

Where do the seat belts attach?

Can you enclose the front section behind the radiator?

Thanks
Bill D

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Bill.
the belts atach through the rear bulkhead to the roll hoop cross brace and also into threaded bosses welded to the seat back support.The eye bolts are included and attached before shipping..

The rad support can be panelled as per original....did you expect anything less.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 59315-P1010003.JPG
    59315-P1010003.JPG
    625.8 KB · Views: 851
I'm probably going to mount a couple of 85 micron filters upstream of the two pumps. Hopefully I'll be able to get the brakes and fuel system complete in the next couple of weeks.

Re: progress...

Detail shot of the splash shields. These are made from 1/8" thick polychloroprene.

splashshields.jpg

Steering column adjusted to correct height (for me), and the dash has been cut and fitted to the VDO gauges. I need to cut holes for the switches next and also some aluminum paneling for the switch area on the dash.

dash2.jpg

Fuel system finalized pending pressure test (later). Now I need to remove the roll bar and paint it before reinstalling later.

fuelsys.jpg

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Just an observation and my .02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As shown above, I have seen similar installations of fans on other GT40's wherein the fans sit on the radiator unshrouded, omitting additional fabrication (typically aluminum) surrounding the fans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Is this because some nostril covers limit the available space between it and the radiator?

In my experience, there is much more effective cooling with a shroud that perimeters the whole radiator with the fans incorporated as part of that shroud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds like a good idea...it wouldn't be that hard to make a perimeter shroud around the fans later on if extra cooling is needed. The radiator is good for 600 HP though and my engine should only make 350 HP at most.

Do you have any detail shots of your fan/radiator setup?

In a similar application ('66 Mustang) we used a fan setup with ~400 CFM less coupled to a smaller Al radiator and 350 HP engine.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter

Hey Micheal,

I knew you were going to ask that question(for pics) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Currently my car is completely apart, so no pics with the radiator installed but certainly I can take some of the shroud and post later.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Michael,

Looks like fantastic work so far. Please keep it up and keep posting the pics. I can't wait to see it run. I'm sure there are others out there looking forward to first driving impressions...

Chris

Back