TK Tornado re-build

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
From here on and into the coming month(s) I will be asking for advice on my current rebuild. So bear with me as I fake my way through this project and ask plenty of stupid questions. (That reminds me of my 4th grade teacher that once said “there are no stupid questions” and one day, he evidently got so fed up with my questions, he threw an apple he had been eating at me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I ducked and it hit the kid behind me straight between the eyes. I don’t think I “axed” a question the rest of the year)

The only reason I decided to take on this absurd project was because of you guys. Everyone here is confidence instilling. I can’t slap my ass with both hands much less turn a wrench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I am certainly counting on everyone's help here (and suckering a couple incompetent friends to do the lifting) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
If the apples start flying then I'll stop, promise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway so far - from here:

Attachments

• 59679-GT40sForum4.jpg
    59679-GT40sForum4.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 574

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
to here in one week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 59680-gt40sforum3.jpg
    59680-gt40sforum3.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 767

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Dave,

I was thinking you could show the above pictures at your next Pantera Club track
meeting to show them how they "blew my doors" off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
What is the purpose of the rebuild? did you recieve the car in 'unassembled' state? are you overhauling the engine/trans?

just curious....

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Rookie question from the uniformed: what is your gearbox? It looks to situate the motor nice and low. I don't have the knowledge to visually ID it.

Chris

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Doc, 'had nothing better to do' haha. Probably should have left it the way it was, it was running real good. Just decided to swap out to a 351w\G50 drive train and that is now leading to brakes, new aluminum paneling, paint, ect. You know how it is, since your doing one thing might as well do 'this' and 'that' while you at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris, Porsche G50\52 and it gets my 6 1/2" oil pan within 1/4" of the lowest chassis member /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Timothy

Looks like you are creating the next “Merz car”!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Please take LOTs of pictures. There are at least 4 of us here in “K”alifornia that might one day do the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That “engine” though looks like something that belongs in my car, not yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Faili,

Your 100% spot on!

When Rick's car went up for sale I took a redeye flight to Virginia Beach expecting to close the sale but decided against it. Mainly because our cars are so similar. I knew I could bring mine up to Rick's standards without too much work. So here I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Your more than welcome to my 'motor' when the project is complete. What's in the above picture is a plastic mock-up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif 351w

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Chassis Stiffness

Would like opinions regarding the removal of a chassis member.

Using the pic below, (taken from Paul's thread, thanks for letting me borrow it for this illustration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I am considering removing the cross member that lays directly under the oil pan (directly under motor mounts in picture).

Would there be any major structural sacrifice by not replacing it. The way I see it, all the loads occur further back in the chassis where the a-arms are attach. But not being knowledgeable in chassis building and where stress occurs I may be making a big mistake.

I am considering for ease of oil pan removal later, allowing easy access without removing the motor.

Attachments

• 60714-Frame1..jpg
    60714-Frame1..jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 691
Re: Chassis Stiffness

No expert on chassis design either, but my advice would be to stick to the safe option...make that member removeable. I would design a replacement member that bolts in. You can remove it when you need access to sump. More work though than simply cutting it out.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Chassis Stiffness

Craig,

My thoughts exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif better than nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
A bit embarrassed, due to the elapsed time, I am finally back with an almost completed Tornado GT40. Although without a car, I have been here with you guys all along, consistently checking in. :stunned: As noted above, the tear down date was 6-14-05

A very long story short – done to date:

1) engine build 351\427 Alum Dart, from scratch
2) TWM eight stack injection
3) AEM ignition controller
4) G50\52 build by California Motorsports (supporter)
5) CMS cable shift
6) 930 CV’s and new half shafts
7) new aluminum gas tanks, built in swirl pots in each for EFI
8) trans oil cooler with fan and pump
9) engine oil cooler with fan
10) lowered motor cg
11) new aluminum radiator
12) leather dash and sills
13) new paint – (twice – don’t ask)
14) undercoating
15) interior insulation
16) roll cage mods, powder coat
17) fuel pumps (2), fuel filters (4)
18) New custom BOS stainless exhaust, Burns mufflers
19) Custom electronic speedo - era correct
20) Upgraded air condition and fans
21) New plexiglass
22) Misc chassis and body mods
The only thing left untouched was the suspension, soon to be replaced as well. With some luck I will be testing on the road within the week

Attachments

• Engine08a.jpg
    Engine08a.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 570
  • Engine08b.jpg
    Engine08b.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 522
  • Engine08c.jpg
    Engine08c.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 533
Tim,

Looks fantastic, I really like the oil catch tank. Very cleverly packaged! Is that two transmission oil coolers or is one for the engine?

Really nice work!

Regds,

As previously mentioned - looks fantastic, but not enough photos!! :laugh:

How & what have you used to insulate the bulkead and what have used for the undercoat (I presume you mean the floor-pan)

Regards
Andy

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice Tim...

I think I would add a bit of insulation around those breather lines (header wrap works well) around those breather lines where they come in such close proximity to the headers..
Love the detail... A stunner!

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Very nice Tim, hope it wont become a trailer queen. You really can see some dollar bills reflected in those shiny pipes. I still like the paint job.

Regards
Ross:thumbsup:

Back