Barn Find GT40 Replica

Hi All,

Completely new to this, I have a barn find of a GT40 replica. It includes a square box section chassis frame and all fibre glass panels, but nothing else. It has been abandoned in my friend’s farm barn for the last ten years and he has given it to me as a gift as he needs the space. I also have a friend who has offered me a Ford 6 litre V8 and a Porsche 6 speed transaxle gearbox (not free) to get me started. My first problem is I would like to figure out who would have made the original kit? I have done a little research so far and it is done in the style of the road going version, I know this as the main headlight shape is different from the racing version. I will post some pictures once I have shipped it to my house. Does anyone think I might have bitten off more than I can chew taking this on?

Cheers
iainb

PS Sorry to Admin if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

Only you can determine your capability. Don't let others discourage you! My psychic prediction is that it is a KVA MK III kit. The 6 speed may be a bit long if it is. Congratulations! The only thing better than a GT40 is a FREE GT40!

Andy

Hi Brett,

I live in Hampshire. I am going up to the car today to take a few pictures, it is only an hour away, shame about the rain! Will post them later today.

iainb

If it is a MK III then fitting a longer trans is no problem as the MK III's were longer in the rear section to accommondate luggage compartments. Also it was the only GT with round twin headlights.
You might want to ask Chris Melia. He owned one for many years and knows the history as well as anyone.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oops....with the picture attached this time!

Attachments

• 61495-DSCF0001.JPG
    61495-DSCF0001.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 987
I picked up all the smaller fibre glass parts today and brought those home. I have three set of dashes, one right hooker the other two left. There are also two extra inner door skins, but I can't see any sign of the sills! If you have any idea what I have got here let me know please! Also one of the dashes seems to have been made shorter in overall length for some reason???

Attachments

• 61499-DSCF0008.JPG
    61499-DSCF0008.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 790
KVA MK 111. Early chassis.

A great gift but a lot of work for you if you have limited experience.

Good luck....

Graham @ GTA.

What chance does anyone think I have of getting the missing parts, maybe from a different manufacturer even?

Iain,
You need to speak to Verdun Webley, the Technical Secretary of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. He is just finishing off a MKIII KVA, which he has modified. He maybe able to help you.

Brett

KVA only supplied the bodywork and chassis. All the other parts were sourced from several diffent vechicles from the 1980's.
I did not build my KVA myself but have the original documents and instuctions (such as they are). I also have photo's of mine, which although is not SVA'd is a rolling chassis and was built to the instructions at the time.
If you contact me I can let you have copies if you wish.
Eric

IanB,

There are no supply problems for any parts to complete this "project" but your biggest headache will be with the front and rear suspension. As i said in my earlier reply, this is an early chassis, and should have been humanely put down by the vet !!!!

Basically you will need to cut the front and rear off and replace with a proper wishboned and coilover set up. Not difficult but messy and costly. My advice would be to forget about that chassis and buy a replacement unless of course you are an engineer and want hassle.......

Regards,

Graham @ GTA.

I just want to thank everyone who has posted a message so far. It seems there is a real community spirit going on and this definitely makes me think that I will be able to do the impossible and build my own little race car! Ok it may take me the rest of my natural born life and cost me the future wife kids and home, but these things are sent to try us! Thanks!!!

IainB,

In your last post you say you just want your own "little race car". If this really is the case and you do not want a road car then this will work out far ,far cheaper than you think and you will still keep the wife, kids and home, but sadly the MK111 is not really the way to go.

A good race only MK 1 bodied 40 can be built for less than £15,000 if you are carefull and are practically minded. Give me a personal mail with your telephone number if you wish and i will give you a realistic breakdown of prices and sources based on many years experience.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA Racing/Gulf Oil UK.

Back