Chris Melia's Build Comment Thread

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Chris Melia\'s Build Comment Thread

Respecting his wishes to stay off the Build Thread, so i thought id start it.
Does anyone know if there are indeed problems with spraying over powder coat finish?
Does it limit the type of paint you can use?
Any issues of 'keying' between the paints?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Chris Melia\'s Build Comment Thread

Yes apologies to Chris..... I'm one of the dumb asses that posted on his build thread....sorry Chris!!

I'm not sure about the powder coat paint key problem have a vested interest in the answer. I also looked for the original thread 'raders of the lost ark' but cannot find it... can someone help?
What does the aluminium chassis look like now.... and how is it being prepped for paint would love to see more pics.

A fine car you have there Chris.... one day we will have a race....

Doc Watson

Apparently painting over powder is okay, you just need to use acrylic paint. Good old celulose doesn't stick very well unless you use a special primer.

It does look stunning Chris.
You have your work cut out, but you must have known what was involved so fair play to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Is the chassis alloy as well as the body ?
I wasn't sure from the thread.
Also, assuming it is an original chassis, is it a tennants, abbey, or what ?
And is it an original/old replacement (i.e. unnumbered) chassis, or a new copy ?

What's the history of the car / parts...

Can't wai for the next installment of pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Keith

Nothing short of amazing story. Chris, it must be a wonderful feeling to own such a gem. I'd love to know who "Abbey" is/was but probably an owner wishing to keep the value up. I have a contentious proposition; the only "original" is the prototype. All subsequent production models are clones or replicas of the "original".

So there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hi Chris - aren't those Fiat rear lights?

Regards.

Rob

Hi Rob

Simca 1000

I will take a better photo the shows the angled chrome fitment

regards

Chris.

Hi Jim

as you know collecting all the required parts is probably 80% of the work involved in the actual build.

From your avatar it looks as though you are well on your way to completion,
I would like to see an update if you have time.

Keep in touch

regards

Chris.

Hi guys

As you will see from the photo thread, my uprights are now fully assembled with the FIA spec discs and will be fitted with a new set of BR callipers from BG Developments.
This is a major milestone in my build, the Shafer bearings are on the way from the USA which means I should have the four corners on the tub by the end of September with any luck

regards

Chris.

Last edited:
Hi guys

well, the gear shift linkage is almost complete and I have the gear assembly castings (see photo thread) just trying to find the correct spherical plain bearings to carry the shaft.

I have had a new set of custom engine head studs made and should be able to fit the Weslake heads in the next couple of weeks.

John Wisher is supplying 4 new billet GT40 wheel spinners and matching the threads to each hub for a really fine tolerance fit.

regards

Chris.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
i'm going green with envy here Chris....... all I have at the moment is a half finished coffee table....... ;-)

Andy

Keith

Great pics of your mono Chris. This is a ali lightweight yes? Is there any fundamental difference in the structure design compared to the mild steel version or is the weight advantage just in the material?

Also, looking at the front suspension pick up points, how on earth did they get them true again after an accident, or is this part of the structure supposed the be strong enough to be "non deformable"? And, if it is significantly donged out of true does that make the chassis a basket case?

I guess it's a question any monocoque owner/prospective owner might ask whatever the make or material.

Thanks in anticipation....:)

Hi Keith

this mono is all steel its only the body that is alloy, however I am also making a fibreglass body for racing purposes as the alloy one is too valuable to risk bending it.

The steel mono structure is quite robust and even after a severe accident are usually repaired quickly, look at P1010 at this years classic Le Mans. I understand she will be out early next year.

Regards

Chris.

Back