Jonathans RCR 40 Build

Time for me to start a build page. My car arrived yesterday at about 4:00. The quality of the body is outstanding. The part lines are tiny and the panel alignment is dead on. The chassis and frame are works of art. Here are some photos of my GT40 in its new home:

Attachments

• IM000459.JPG
    IM000459.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 5,240
  • IM000462.JPG
    IM000462.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 5,210
Way to go! Another RCR GT40 has made its way to it's new home. Congrats!!

Now, tell us your build plans.

Bill D

I sat in your car at the London cobra show. (I think) It was so nice that I am going to buy one! That is such a work of art. As a newbie to RCR, I would love it if you would keep track of the extra parts you will need to buy to complete your kit. You know, the stuff that didn't come with the car. One of my biggest concerns is the extra stuff needed and the fabrication of extra pieces.

Congratulations on your new project.rockonsmile

My plan is to build a street car. I have assembled a mildly built 302. It has AFR heads and a pretty stout comp cam. I was planning on stack injection originally but for now I am going with a carburetor. I am hoping for at least 350 horsepower. It will be connected to an Audi trans. I am waiting on 17" BRMs. The car will be painted metallic red with silver stripes.

Dean, it was my car at the London show. I have been keeping very close track of my budget so far. All the big ticket stuff is included in the deluxe kit except engine, trans, and flywheel. There are a lot of little things to buy though. It will probably be a few months before I have a full list together.

So far my list is a fuel system, inside door handle, a demister cover for the dash, and the rest is minor nut and bolt kind of stuff. These are things I knew were not included going in or are too minor to worry about. I am sure I will come across some other small items but I don't think I will have any big surprises.

Hi Jonathan

After the crash of RF I went to RCR back in March to check out Fran's impressive range of cars. Well, it was a nice surprise to see really well thought out and engineered new approach to the replica market. The RCR is truly the next level in the evolution of the replica car market.

I actually feel sorry for those guys that have purchased kits from else where because they have such a hill to climb to complete them in comparison.

The RCR cars not only have the best true monocoque chassis and suspension package but also have the most accurate and original bodies with the best panel fit I have seen.

Congratulations to you Jonathan and Ron for what will be a couple of outstanding cars I look forward to seeing the arrival of the RCR in the UK in the next couple of months.
regards

Chris Melia.

I have not posted for a while since I have not felt that I have had much progress. I have started with some of the details that are very time consuming. I am waiting on some parts to move on to big items. The UPS and Fed Ex men have been very busy delivering packages from Jegs, Summit, Bolt Depot, etc. What I have accomplished is mounting the door hardware, body cutouts, and fitting lights and the light covers. These all require much more time than I would have thought. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IM000467.JPG
    IM000467.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 4,431
  • IM000470.JPG
    IM000470.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 4,372
  • IM000466.JPG
    IM000466.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 4,334
How much air pressure are you running in your tires? It looks a little low.:D Seriuosly, As I said before, I am very interested in what you have had to buy from other places. Keep good records for us all! It looks awesome.

Naked Car

I stripped the body off to prep the chassis for under coating. I am going to try Lizard Skin on the car. It is supposed to be a spray on insulator and sound deadener. I hope it is durable enough to be an undercoat as well or I will use truck bed liner on the underside. Here is a pictures of the chassis being scuffed for the undercoat.

Attachments

• IM000479.JPG
    IM000479.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 4,417
I have thought about this undercoat thing and I am not so sure it is needed or even desireable. You do not need to worry about rust and I think the noise advantage is far overshadowed by the engine noise. thermal protection is only needed on the rear bulkhead as I see it. What advantage do you see? I only bring this up because I have thought about it for my car. chuck

Aluminum still oxidizes and I plan on driving this car a lot so I wanted some protection. I also plan on using it in the summer with AC so I want as much insulation as I can get.

Lizard Skin

I got my undercoating on the car this weekend. I used Lizardskin. It sprays on like a truck bed liner but it is a sound and thermal insulator and is fire proof. It is a water-based product so it is easy to clean up and it has some form of ceramic particle in it for the insulation. I am pretty happy with how it applied. I will probably add some additional felt based thermal insulation on the rear bulkhead and the tunnel since they will be the biggest heat sources. Here are some photos:

Attachments

• IM000487.JPG
    IM000487.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,239
  • IM000489.JPG
    IM000489.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 4,143
Jonathons RCR build

I have been interested to hear how the Lizardskin goes since reading about it here on the forum a while back. Keep up the good work on your thread, but more importantly, keep up the good work on your build. Lucky bugger.

Cheers

Jack

It uses a special gun. I think any undercoating gun might work but I bought the gun that they make. It is set up to siphon up a hose or out of a cup. It goes through material so fast with the cup that you could not keep up with it. Using the siphon it goes through the material slower but you are not constantly refilling the cup.

I am looking forward to seeing how it works. It is hard to believe that something only 0.0060 could be a good insulator but we will see.

Engine and transaxle mock up.

I started the engine and transaxle mock up yesterday. Here is a couple of shots with them in place:

Attachments

• IM000511.JPG
    IM000511.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 3,884
  • IM000512.JPG
    IM000512.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 4,020
Last edited:
Back