GT40 Engine Build Mirage Chassis

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
'My Coffee Table..'

Finally got some lumps of metal which are being used to make my coffee table. I want it to be as original as possible to the ones I've seen in that car that won Le Mans 4 times in a row, although why someone would want to power a car with a perfectly good coffee table is beyond me........

Just got the top end of it in the picture and also the bottom, just waiting for the middle bit and stand to arrive.

I've got a piece of smoked glass for the top but found that it slides to easily about so have ordered some rubber screens to rest the glass on (see pics) which should stop the glass sliding. Also think the table will sit a little low so have found some 'phenolic spacers' (whatever they are.... ;-) which will make the table a little higher, they should arrive soon.

Slowly replacing the nuts on those grey things with the stacks on them to stainless steel, including socket head SS for the gauze cover and stacks. That lump of aluminium they sit on is also going to get a polish.

Someone mentioned that it might be nice to have some words to read on the table as a conversation piece so found some lumps of metal which say 'Gurney Weslake' which will be put on the big lump of metal that will make up most of the table.

I also think that some nice shiny braided hose would look nice to join up all those weber things.......

Wadda u tink?

Doc Watson

Attachments

• coffeetable.jpg
    coffeetable.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,057
  • stackscreensl.jpg
    stackscreensl.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,916
  • bottomoftable.jpg
    bottomoftable.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,947
Last edited:
Re: My coffee table.......

Doc, bear in mind the possible electrolytic action between the alloy and stainless...

I doubt it'll get wet though just yet eh, unless someone spilt their coffee, and then I suspect it would have blood on it too... :rolleyes: :D

Very nice indeed.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Beautiful concept Doc - a GT40 "Stealth Build" !!!

a) Start with the engine-based coffee table

b) Add GT40 chassis (combination bottle & glass storage, plus mini-"conversation pit")

c) Add GT40 bodywork (after pointing out how hard (b) is to dust & keep clean)

d) Add wheels (the "entertainment centre" can then be moved around easily to allow vacuuming underneath)

e) Wife gets sick of overall decor & wants "something else" (isn't that what all women want)

f) Doc simply drives the offending furniture away !!

Nice Strategy !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

John,

Yes that was a consideration although if the stainless is inserted into a 'substantial' piece of aluminium then there is usually no problems with electrolytic corrosion.

Peter,

You hit the nail on the head....... the glass holder is the next big lump to arrive should be early next year.

Andy

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

Yes I do drink buckets of tea but a tea table dosent sound quite right...... and I always invite the ladies in for a 'coffee' rather than tea..... ;-)

Just ordered these for the 'coffee' table......... should be with me in a week or so, had to call california for them..... wherever that is...lol

BTW have heard that the screen can cost a few HP as they restrict the air flow, my tuner man said its best to tune the engine without the screens and then put them back on after tuning, anybody chip in on this? I know that bare carbs are best for power but worst for engine wear and Im looking for about 300 HP so the screens should still alow this in a 289 engine with some (not much) but some protection from debris......

Andy

Attachments

• phenolicspacers.jpg
    phenolicspacers.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,636
  • Aircleaner.jpg
    Aircleaner.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,610
Last edited:

Most impressive Doc,

ingenius lightweight coasters. the silver stirrers have helixes to stir more efficiently and the other end for better grip.
the mesh keeps insects out of the cups during polite conversation and you have even provided a shaker for the powdered chocolate.
You are indeed a very considerate host to your visitors.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

More bits arrived for my coffee table........

Attachments

• phenolicspacerbits.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,460
  • phenolicspacerbits05.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits05.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,387
  • phenolicspacerbits02.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits02.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,364
  • phenolicspacerbits03.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits03.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 2,356
  • phenolicspacerbits04.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits04.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,337

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

The first shot is the parts that arrived

8 x studs
8 x phenolic spacers
8 x paper gaskets
8 x stack screens

The second shot shows both sides of the stack screens... they need to be left in hot water for 30 mins before putting them onto the stacks.

The studs are shown in place on the inlet in the next shot and there is ample stud to allow a 3mm aluminium plate for the cold air box.

Finally shots of the completed article....

Looks like the idea about putting on those screens worked the glass dosent move around anymore and the phenolic spacers make the height of the table... just so..........

Next item is an aluminium plate for the bottom of the cold air box..... maybe I can keep ice in there?

Andy

Attachments

• phenolicspacerbits06.jpg
    phenolicspacerbits06.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,348

Ron Earp

Admin

Hey, what sort of car/chassis are you building? Might help to re-titled this build thread so that folks can find it in the future. Coffee table threads don't come to mind when looking for a GT40 build.....

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

Its for a 'Mirage Automotive' replica mono chassis GT40 MkI........ Your right might be better to rename it..... this thread is starting with the engine build (still waiting for the 1966 289 short block to arrive)......

Externally the engine will look as original as possible.....

How about 'GT40 Engine build - My Coffee Table' ???

Was just adding a little humour to the thread but I agree that the search would not work to well... is my suggestion ok?

Will also be starting a thread soon for the pedal box, would this be ok for a title? 'GT40 pedal box - My Foot Rest'

Andy

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter

Cutting gaskets as the aluminium cold box plate also needs to be fit between the carbs and the inlet manifold. Gasket material is 0.4mm thick.

The phenolic spacers come supplied with 8 x 3mm thick gaskets so I am cutting another 16 from the paper to allow a gasket in the following order...

48 IDA base
0.4mm gasket
Phenolic spacer
3mm gasket
3mm aluminium 'cold box' base plate
0.4mm gasket
inlet manifold

Andy

Attachments

• papergasket.jpg
    papergasket.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,171

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
To quote a hero of mine...... 'moving on....'

....went to a local metal supplier and got a piece of 1/8" thick aluminium for the cold air box bottom plate. Oh and also got some 5/16 UNF stainless steel washers and nuts to attach the carbs.

Also bought a 48mm hole saw and correct size clearance drills for the studs.

Now all I need to do is correctly mark the hole positions and drill the holes to match the inlet manifold.

(The edges will be left 'oversize' untill I get my hands on the short block and heads, then it will be 'trimmed' to the correct size including the recess for the dizzy.)

Could be a long evening...... wish me luck.....

Andy

Attachments

• plateraw.jpg
    plateraw.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • tools4plate.jpg
    tools4plate.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,082

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew my friend,
May I recommend that you get those holes cut with a vertical mill and a fly cutter or a boring head. Accuracy ?

My motto is "less haste = less cash"

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
The plate was £5 so I plan to try it in the next hour or so.... I do have a vertical pillar drill which is man enough for the task.... depends if I am!! its been a few years since I worked in a metal shop.

Let you know what happens.......

Andy

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Two opposing holes first.... bolt the plate on.... scribe inlets.... checked scribed marks.... put back together and a new shelf for the table.

Next I need to find the centres of the carb inlets and try out the hole saw.

Andy

Attachments

• firstplateholes.jpg
    firstplateholes.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,104
  • scribing.jpg
    scribing.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2,022
  • scribed.jpg
    scribed.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,040
  • shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,052

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
All stud holes are now drilled, just the 8 larger inlet holes to do.....also trimmed the plate using a jigsaw, I'm leaving the front and back oversize to be trimmed later. Now with the base plate and carbs secured I can look at the linkage system.

Andy

Attachments

• cold boxplate01.jpg
    cold boxplate01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,949

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Doc Watson said:
Yes I do drink buckets of tea but a tea table dosent sound quite right...... and I always invite the ladies in for a 'coffee' rather than tea..... ;-)

Just ordered these for the 'coffee' table......... should be with me in a week or so, had to call california for them..... wherever that is...lol

BTW have heard that the screen can cost a few HP as they restrict the air flow, my tuner man said its best to tune the engine without the screens and then put them back on after tuning, anybody chip in on this? I know that bare carbs are best for power but worst for engine wear and Im looking for about 300 HP so the screens should still allow this in a 289 engine with some (not much) but some protection from debris......

Andy

Doc, re the stack filters they do restrict HP but for normal (non track) driving I doubt you would notice the difference. I had them on my gt and the filter material in the centre of the mesh sandwich developed holes and was either sucked into my engine or blown into the air after about 200K.
I have resorted to the ugly socks pictured until I can find another solution.

BTW great concept with coffee/tea table I wonder how long before your good lady twigs?

Attachments

• Finished Ready for Delivery 12-10-05 056 (Small) (2).jpg
    Finished Ready for Delivery 12-10-05 056 (Small) (2).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,063

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Doc, like you & Pete, I first tried the Inglese filters. A total failure - my trumpet tops were 3mm smaller in dia than the filters were designed for, but after 20mins of driving, 3 of the rubber rings had split. Not only that, but a couple of coughs & spits destroyed the fine filter material on 3 of them.

They went in the bin !

I ended up running the socks like Pete for rego (to cut back on induction noise & spit-back H/C problems), then got a bit peeved about comments regarding my "red condoms" ! So for the moment, I am going "naked" & hoping to find something that keeps leaves / twigs / stones out, but still looks the part.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back