Dimi's Build DRB #68

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I guess its time to start my build thread which should have started when I took delivery of DRB#68 back in August 2006 but I have just been too busy building rather than spending my time on line.
The first photo is taking delivery Friday Aug 18 2006.
By Sunday both front and rear suspension had been fitted.
Very exciting days.

Dimi

Attachments

• Delivery 1.jpg
    Delivery 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Front end 1.jpg
    Front end 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,139

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Next big day was taking delivery of a brand new factory fresh 5.4 260 Boss Motor

Attachments

• Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,967

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
The following photos are of the custom stainless steel fuel tanks I had a friend of mine make for me which have a capacity of 48 litres each.
These tanks will be linked together so the car can be filled from either side but will only require one fuel sender and one set of pumps and are fully baffled and will not be able to surge from left to right and vice versa when cornering

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,783
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,773

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Next photo is of the new billet axle another friend of mine machined up to allow CV joint shafts to be used which will match the G50 tranny to the Corvette hubs without spacers or adaptors.

Also I had to make up a new thermostat housing and water outlet from the top of the Boss motor as shown in the attached photos the stock housing exits upwards and to fit in my new one faces downwards.
This also allows the filler for the cooling system to now be on the motor and forms the highest point in the system for bleeding and doubles as an air trap which will vent into a coolant recovery system.

Attachments

• Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,697
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,759

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Gearbox and engine fitted
Tranny is a G50 with LSD, taller 4th and 5th gears, rear cover removed and end plate fitted.
Side shifter by CMS and all adaptors,clutch,flywheel mods by Kennedy.

Wheels are Simmons 17x9 fronts and 17x12 rears.

Seats are out of a Mazda MX5 model only available in Japan and are fully reworked in the upholstery to allow lower seating and retain the runners for forward and rear adjustment,backrest adjustment and inflatable lumbar support,fully reupholstered in leather.
seat shape is similar to Porsche seats.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,879
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,836

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
The doors have the Mk3 opening windows fitted.
One thing I wanted to have that would look finished and professional was the treatment of the number plate,and associated required lighting.

I saw this ford trim and as it was too big to cut down or fit I made this one up from 3mm ally plate which will house the number plate,reversing lights,and plate lights,and make the rear of the car look like a factory supplied fitting rather than a collection of aftermarket bits.

All lights,indicators,tail lights have been fitted most of the body work has been finished and is now undercoated and will be getting its paintwork shortly.
Colour will be straight Black with silver sill stripes and no body stripe.

At this moment the exhaust system is being made and fitted and will be ready in a couple of days.

The dash has been covered in the same coloured material as the upholstery and the gauges will be fitted this weekend(all VDO instruments)

Attachments

• Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,938
  • Picture 15.jpg
    Picture 15.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,779
  • Rear panel 5.jpg
    Rear panel 5.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,796
Looks Fantastic Dimi!

That 5.4 looks really good in the engine bay too. Where did you source that from? A dealer?

Also, did you source the front suspension from DRB or did you find that yourself?

Thanks

Dimi,

Must congratulate you on your progress, but have a concern over your coolant line modifications . Are you intending to connect the large upright pipe directly to the header tank. This would be unwise for a couple of reasons; 1. Any coolant added when hot/warm would flow directly into that cyl head. 2. If your header tank is to be the recovery circulation type coolant will take the easy way and not pass thru the radiator along with an imbalance from left to right banks.

How to fix:

Run a small bleed line (3/16" or 1/4" bore) from the 'new' top of your thermostat housing (motor side of t/stat) to the side of your header tank.

Run a 5/8" or 3/4" bore hose from the bottom of the header tank to one of the fittings on the water pump which the heater hose return line would normally attach.

This will allow your coolant to be added and bleed prior to initial start, then even with the motor running to help bleed all air from the system.

Jac Mac

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jacob

The engine was new direct from Ford Performance Vehicles.
The suspension is 85 Corvette and was imported direct from the US along with new urethane bushes and ball joints.

Dimi

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac

I have to apologise but the photo of the thermostat housing is incomplete.
I will post a photo of the completed assembly on the motor which shows the large upright pipe is actually the radiator filler cap which then runs off to an overflow bottle.
Dimi

Attachments

• thermo 11.jpg
    thermo 11.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,654
  • thermo12.jpg
    thermo12.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,702

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Time to update progress.
Attached photos are of the dash layout, seats in new leather upholstery,

Attachments

• Dash 6.jpg
    Dash 6.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,622
  • seat 1.jpg
    seat 1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,522
Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Photos of new stainless exhaust system showing both the sports system and the ''quiet'' one.

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,736
  • Ford.GT40 (36).jpg
    Ford.GT40 (36).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,928
  • Ford.GT40 (40).jpg
    Ford.GT40 (40).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Ford.GT40 (48).jpg
    Ford.GT40 (48).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,850
Last edited:
Hey Dimi nice build
Hope your knees will clear that stereo hanging down like it is, maybe it's just the angle of the pic making it look like it's hanging down heaps?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave
Yes I noticed that after I posted the photo but with the dash in the car the stereo can barely be seen and it points toward the front firewall so there is no leg clearance problem.
Dimi

Back