Big-Foot's RCR-40 Build Thread - "SuperCar"

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys - I've waited a LONG time to make this post...

:pepper: Finally I CAN!!!!:pepper:​
I've been working tons of hours the last couple of months..
I did manage to take a couple of days off to take my bride on the cruise she's alway's wanted.

Okay - Okay - So it was a ferry ride, but it's a BIG ferry at 420' long (SS Badger) and it was a 4 hour cruise across Lake Michigan which allowed us to bypass driving around Chicago to get there;

IMG_0090.jpg

Here's a pic of me and my bride of almost 31 years;
07-02-07-Cruise1.jpg

While we were in Michigan - we just happened to stop off at RCR (good thing I had the trailer along) and picked up this;
IMG_0098_86.jpg

IMG_0097_86.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Fran and his crew were very gracious hosts and helped us load up..
Now - I just need to concentrate on finishing my Nova so I can sell it as I promised I would have it ready for sale prior to working on the Forty..

From the ffcobra site - Ron, Bill and Jeff have a good head-start on me with their Forty's and I hope that I can live up to their examples and the examples of others on this site - my new home....
Mark will be getting his soon so really there will be a number of us here that have pulled the trigger on the car that set the bar known as:

rockonsmile SUPERCARrockonsmile​

superman-small.jpg

It may be a while before I can post any progress pics and text but I will do my best to put the polish to yet another fabulous RCR Creation..

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Randy - CONGRATULATIONS! That must have been some trip - you made a wise decision by taking the ferry. Now the fun can begin (well, as soon as you sell the Nova). Have fun with the project and I'm be looking forward to seeing your 40 driving around the cities!

Dave L

Congrats Randy!!! You are going to have a lot of fun building your car. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers
Bill

Congrats Randy, it's always a pleasure putting a faces to the names on here.

have you figured out a color yet?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Glad to see you still know how to show your wife a good time after 31 years...Making her dreams of a " Cruise " come true....

Now get that Nova done and enjoy....

Well done...

I spoke to Randy on his way home and he tried to convince me that the ferry trip counted as the cruise he promised the wife. He also fessed up that she was on to him after 30 years of marriage and would get even.

Congratulations, Randy! I still have three months to wait, but I'm collecting parts and getting the garage ready.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark's (MReid) right - My wife knows me VERY well -and- she will get even... She might even get a longer cruise!!! :)

Mark - I'm not totally set on the color yet..

Sonic Blue with white pearl stripes is looking pretty good.. I'm also thinking about a color like Candy Tangerine or Sunset Orange..

I'm also thinking of a variation on the Gulf paint scheme that uses the Gulf mustache split into Lemans Stripes like this

Blue_GULF_Lemans_Stripe1.jpg

Thanks a lot fellas.. I'm going to have a great time on this build....

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Wow.

RCR in the garage AND a 30-year marriage. Congrats on both accomplishments.

Best,

T.
ps - I'll put the word out about a Nova up fer sale...

Chuck

Supporter
Randy: Congrats on the the start of your new build. I took delivery of mine two days before you. It will be interesting to compare notes as we move along. I am still trying to figure out where to start. . . . .

Chuck

Randy,

You need to tell her what a special trip a cruise on the Badger was. If I remember correctly it is the last steam powered ship on the lake.

Tim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys!!!

Rob - I put in a short 12 hour day at work and another 3 hours in the shop in Nova stuff so I can sell it.. I did peek in the trailer at the Forty twice for inspiration! :)

Ron - I've spent a lot of time looking over your build thread.. I hope my car comes out as cool as yours!

T - My wife has made the almost 31 years pretty easy on me actually.. Cool things happen when you're hooked up with your soul-mate. I'll be posting a thread with more info on the Nova sometime.. It's a brute. 1970 Pro/Street - blown 468 BBC - 18.50x31 rear tires - wheelie bars that it will actually use.. :)

Chuck - After just having looked at your build thread - you've gotten a pretty good head-start on me! I hope we can share information / notes and someday get the two cars side my side..

Tim - Yes, it is a very special ship actually.. It is still active as an Icebreaker on the lake and the steam engines are not only Coal fired but are reciprocating engines rather than turbines..

---- Back to work ----

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fellas,

Well it's been a while since my last update.
I sold the Nova in November and the Forty assumed it's position in the shop.
Some of you know that I put up a build site (in my signature line) and although it went online just 2 weeks ago, it already maxed out my bandwidth at 1GB and over 95,000 hits. I had to upgrade the account. I knew that the domain name might attract some people but I think I underestimated it..

Anyway - The vast majority of work I've been doing I call Infrastructure Work. Basically work on those sub assemblies and parts that will go towards the build itself.

Since I believe I'm one of the first people to use a G50/03 transaxle (Jeff Hamiilton is the other that I know of) - I needed to play around with things to get them where I wanted them. That includes the detailed modifications I had to do to the transaxle to make it fit as well as relocation of the driveline to finish accommodating the longer transaxle.

I still have a long ways to go.. I'm hoping that by my documenting the build that I'll be able to help some others with their builds..

Thanks guys...

Chuck

Supporter
Randy:

Just visited you web page. Outstanding job! Your engineering work and detailed reporting will be of great value to those following along. I found you discussion of the shift mechanism most interesting.

Chuck

Congrats on the marriage and the great car.I'm sure that having the right Lady around makes everything go much easier.Good luck with the build and maybe one day i'll be doing the same thing,30 year marriage and a GT40!
Bill (Wilby)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you guys....

Bill (Wilby) - My bride is behind me 100% and I cannot thank her enough for all of her support.. Going on 32 years this coming Sept 11th and I'm still crazy about her.. :)

Update - The starter came today. I must say that it's the very first time I've ever purchased a starter that came with it's own Dyno sheet! I'll be working on the fitment soon and will update the website. I wish I knew how to embed images from my own website here. So far all attempts to do that have failed.. ((sigh))

Back