Bobs GTD

Hi All,
Well after stairing at the new ride for about a week and then looking over all the parts in boxes, I finally got started taking the GTD apart to the point that I can start rebuilding it the way I want it. Boy is there going to be a lot of work and a lot of changes made, so if along the way if anyone has any advice or helpful hints please don't hesitate to speak up I'm open to all ideas. Here are just the first of the many pictures I'll post.
Wish me luck!
Bob

Attachments

• SSCN0019.JPG
    SSCN0019.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,621
  • SSCN0020.JPG
    SSCN0020.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,382
  • SSCN0021.JPG
    SSCN0021.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,449
  • SSCN0022.JPG
    SSCN0022.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,410
  • SSCN0023.JPG
    SSCN0023.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,357

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob - Yup, looks like a lot of Forty stuff sitting there!!! :)

Where are you in Wisconsin? If not too far I may pay you a visit someday... Although it may be just a little while before my car is completed..

You will have a lot of fun over the next few months. Upgrade the brakes and pedal box, upgrade the radiator to a cross flowed ali unit, move the a/c condensor in front of the rad and use one as big as you can fit, replace the standard Spaal rad fans with some higher output units and upgrade the wiring to handle the extra amp draw, upgrade to at least a 100 amp alternator, raise the steering rack about 7/16" and while you are at it cut an access hole under the mounting with a cover plate so you can get to it later if necessary, use all silicone hoses for the water piping, including over the steering rack, make sure you have a bleed line for the rad plumbed back to the fill bottle and add a bleed system from the rear of the intake manifold back to the suction side of the system. Last but not least hard line as much of the fuel system ( rubber sucks with the new gas) and a/c system as possible. I have the original build manual on CD. I also switched to Bilstein shocks and springs. If you are interested in those I would recommend Steve Duck at RCD Suspension in El Cajon, CA -(619)588 4723 ext. 109- he is really good. Enjoy, the future holds a fun ride in wait for you!! PS use relays everywhere you can.

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Bob,
Looks like you have some work to do there - welcome to the club. The roll cage is a good idea but whilst it is apart I would add a strong main hoop to the outside perimeter of the bulkhead made from strong cold drawn tubing of about 2 inch diam. also replace the rectangular tube at the top with 2 tubes from strong tubing. Also put in backstays from the bulkhead main hoop to the rear chassis - remember your head is quite valuable to you! Mount tubes to the chassis via plates of steel. Pic of similar on a Southern GT attached (approved for hillclimbs and sprints by UK MSA)
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Martin's chassis Web.jpg
    Martin's chassis Web.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,146

Mike Pass

Supporter
PS Make the main hoops in one piece. One more pic showing the roof tubes. I also have a GTD. If you need pics drop me a line.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• martin's chassis2 Web.jpg
    martin's chassis2 Web.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,963
Hi Randy,
I live in Richfield Wi thats near holy hill or about 20 miles north of Milwaukee hope to see you some day
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob - Yup, looks like a lot of Forty stuff sitting there!!! :)

Where are you in Wisconsin? If not too far I may pay you a visit someday... Although it may be just a little while before my car is completed..

Hi Mike,
Funny you should mention that about the roll cage that is one of the things on my long list of things to change.
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,
Looks like you have some work to do there - welcome to the club. The roll cage is a good idea but whilst it is apart I would add a strong main hoop to the outside perimeter of the bulkhead made from strong cold drawn tubing of about 2 inch diam. also replace the rectangular tube at the top with 2 tubes from strong tubing. Also put in backstays from the bulkhead main hoop to the rear chassis - remember your head is quite valuable to you! Mount tubes to the chassis via plates of steel. Pic of similar on a Southern GT attached (approved for hillclimbs and sprints by UK MSA)
Cheers
Mike

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bob - I make it over to that side of the state (about 7 hours from me) a couple of times a year when we go to Road America.. Will drop you a line the next time I'm going to be near..

Mike - 2" Tubing??? Man - that's huge.. SCCA and FIA requirements for GT1 / Trans-Am are 1.75" DOM .095" wall.. GT1 and the GT40 both address roughly equivalent weight and speed potential..

Hi Bob, looks like the foundation for a very nice car.
I can't tell what kind of shocks and springs you have but I do agree that one of the best upgrades is to improve on the stock SPAX if you have them, dual rate springs are also a good idea. Lots of guys in the UK go over to the Koni, but they are quite expensive.

Regards the pedal box, I am using a triple cylinder Tilton hanging box with improved leverage and an adjustable bias bar, can send you pics if you'd like of the installation. As indicated by others, if you have the stock brakes, they are an easy upgrade, see my build thread for some ideas.

May want to investigate your clutch and upgrade to an AP Racing set up if you'll be using any horsepower above say 300 as the stock one will slip under "angry" use..

Best of luck, please post pics of your progress.

Brian

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Looks like someone finally got a hold of Brian Russo's car (which was also
once Gordy Goode's). It was a heck of a bargain. Did you get the whole
enchilada - engine, stack injection, and Derek Bell modified transaxle?

Ian

Ha Brian,
Yes the shocks are Spax and I'm going to change them out with Afco racing shocks if I can match spring rates and shock dimensions, and as far as the pedal box yes please send pics if you can and any specs you mite have.
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob, looks like the foundation for a very nice car.
I can't tell what kind of shocks and springs you have but I do agree that one of the best upgrades is to improve on the stock SPAX if you have them, dual rate springs are also a good idea. Lots of guys in the UK go over to the Koni, but they are quite expensive.

Regards the pedal box, I am using a triple cylinder Tilton hanging box with improved leverage and an adjustable bias bar, can send you pics if you'd like of the installation. As indicated by others, if you have the stock brakes, they are an easy upgrade, see my build thread for some ideas.

May want to investigate your clutch and upgrade to an AP Racing set up if you'll be using any horsepower above say 300 as the stock one will slip under "angry" use..

Best of luck, please post pics of your progress.

Brian

Hi Ian,
Good guess on the previous owner and the one before that also and no I didn't get the engine or trans with the car because I'll be building a SB ford motor that should put out about 600 HP respectively,his trans would not handle that much snort.
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,

Looks like someone finally got a hold of Brian Russo's car (which was also
once Gordy Goode's). It was a heck of a bargain. Did you get the whole
enchilada - engine, stack injection, and Derek Bell modified transaxle?

Ian

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob,

That was my first GT40, a great car I bought in England from the original owner. I have had several since then, but still have a soft spot for that one. If I can help in any way let me know.
It was an unfinished car with the original fiberglass tub, which I removed and then panelled in aluminum. I kind of wish I never sold it, hope you can finish it and get it on the road.
Good luck !

Just a few pics, of the cleaned up brakes and suspension, for now I'm going to leave the brakes the way they are except for the pedal box thats
going to be changed.

P.S. Thats my little helper Winston

Attachments

• SSCN0033.JPG
    SSCN0033.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,736
  • SSCN0034.JPG
    SSCN0034.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,905
Hi All,
Well I finaly got the rollbar in this weekend and started the center counsil that will hold my airconditioning lines and heater hoses and also a conduit for any electrical that I mite need. I am looking for a hand brake seeing how my car came without one, I will post a wanted in parts also. Well back to work
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0039.JPG
    DSCN0039.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,584
  • DSCN0040.JPG
    DSCN0040.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,636
  • DSCN0041.JPG
    DSCN0041.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,469
  • DSCN0042.JPG
    DSCN0042.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,496
  • DSCN0043.JPG
    DSCN0043.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,498
I love the way old Kitchen cupboards and Wall Units migrate out to the garage's of GT40 builders- waste not want not!

Jac Mac

Back