GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Build Logs

GT40 Build Logs For build threads and build diaries only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2008, 09:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Tornado
Re: Norfolk Tornado

More business trips and then keeping the family happy has minimised the amount of time working on the car.

A removable engine bay cross-member has been added. A section of the chassis rail was cut out and a 3mm plate welded back in with a couple of captive nuts. This was originally cut out when the Rover mounts were removed and had to wait until the proposed oil pan (Moroso) arrived from Summit Racing, As a couple of braces were also added around the revised transmission cross-member, as well as the sill-top braces to support the aluminum top skin.

Iíve also spend many noisy hours with the grinder doing this and dressing the welds on the suspension arms prior to powder-coating. All the spacers for the rear suspension rose joints have been re-manufactured in stainless steel. These replace the combination of washers and bits of copper tube the original builder had used!

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5250718.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	30475   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5250723.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	30476   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260724.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	30477  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 17th June 2008, 09:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

The business trips do sometimes have there uses, especially when going to Detroit and parts are pre-ordered from Summit for hand-carry back. The trip over to have a chat with Fran at RCR produced an even emptier wallet

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5020703.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	30478   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020704.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	30479  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 17th June 2008, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Julian West
7 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: GTD

Wow.. are they fuel caps or mirrors???
Old 17th June 2008, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

They are fairly Bling!

I cant bring myself to tone them them down a bit with a Scotchbrite pad. They're stay like this for a while, or until I fed up of polishing them.

Andy
Old 30th June 2008, 09:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

The rear uprights have received a great deal of attention. Unfortunately the standard part from Tornado is leaves a lot to be desired, it may be light, but itís no work of art. The previous owner hadnít helped the matter by using an oxy-acetylene torch (gas-axe) to reposition the holes for a Scorpio bearing carrier. This had left a couple of mounting holes in virtually free space , so new metal had to be added around these.

The welds were also dressed back and well as the removal of unnecessary material (note the lower Ďearsí have been cut back). Weld nuts have also been added to hold in the bearing retainers, making it much easier to strip down at a later date. I donít believe that what Iíve done with affect their durability, but they are now aesthetically less hard on the eyes. Once Iíve finalised the rear brakes they can go for blasting & then powder-coating.

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5310702.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	30746   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5310707.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	30747   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190715.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	30748   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190716.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	30749  
Old 30th June 2008, 09:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

A battery tray frame has now been welded in on the near-side, which has then been clad with 20swg aluminum. I think I got carried away with the hole saw and itís a shame Iíve got to put a battery in it when the cars finished!

Finally a bit of bling Rollbar down-stays back from being nickel plated

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6220730.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	30750   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240739.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	30751  
Old 4th August 2008, 11:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

After buying a floor mounted pedal box from Rally Design a few months ago, I was disappointed to find that the master cylinders wanted to be where the steering rack is! I now realise this is a common problem, so I could eitherconvert it to a hanging pedal design or extend the push rods, so that the master cylinders are the other side of the steering rack.

Although I originally planned to cut/shut the pedal box, it was as quick to re-fabricate everything, with the exclusion of the balance-bar assembly. Longer pedals were also needed as I donít plan to run with servos and 6.5:1 seemed to be a suitable pedal ratio.
I originally wanted to use a set of scrap Elise pedals in extruded aluminum, but they couldnít be used as the ratio was wrong, although the pads and accelerator pedal was used in the end.

They still need to go for powder coating, Iím pretty pleased with the result, although itís something else that wonít been seen once the car is finished. Next thing is to sort out the seats, so that I can set height of the pedals relative to my seating position.

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8030774.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	31576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8030777.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	31577   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8030779.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	31578  
Old 14th October 2008, 05:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

A combination of holidays and business trips has meant that Iíve not worked the car for over a couple of months, so it was really good to get a few hours in on the car over the weekend. However the time was not gone to waste, still collecting parts, which included getting some strange looks from airport officials as I brought a pair of aluminum cylinder heads back from the US with me

Although Iíd previously spent a few hours making the intermediate steering coupling, this has now been scrapped as I decided to fit electric power-steering unit.

The unit Iím using is off a 2001-06 Vauxhall Corsa (Corsa C) and an interface unit is readily available (from Ebay) to vary the amount of assistance the motor gives. Whether the car needs it Iím not sure, but it is easier to fit it at this stage than trying to get it in later.

For those of you worried about getting the car through the SVA test in relation to the collapsible section, the good news is that the Corsa column has an integral collapsible section. Iíve mounted mine to take advantage of this, the upper mount supports the collapsible section (although this may not be needed) and the 2 lower mounts, which are amore rigid support the main body. Itís also worth getting the intermediate column section, as this has a splined sleeve making it length adjustable and is then easily adapted to the Ford spline on the rack

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA130916.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	33307   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130917.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	33308   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130921.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	33309  
Old 1st November 2008, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

A bit of paneling, mainly so I finalise the pedal position. The shroud has a seal to the intermediate shaft made from high density foam.

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA260925.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	33676   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260924.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	33677  
Old 1st November 2008, 10:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Frank Beuker
6 Tenths
Netherlands

GT40: kva

Andy,
It's al looking great.
takes a lot of time doesn't it all the tiny panneling bits ?
cheers
frank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You're never to old to start doing what you realy like doing
Old 4th November 2008, 08:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Iíve been looking at the options around the seats, mainly so I can work out where I need to weld in the seat cross-braces and the height of the pedals for a comfortable driving position. Based on what others have done, I mocked up the following in plywood to work out what would fit. Iíve gone for a rake angle of 120į as this allows the seat back to be parallel with the rear bulkhead. The design was finalised and laser cut from 2mm aluminum, then folded and welded. The hole in the base is in case I decide to use a six-point harness.

As headroom can be an issue, I specifically designed the seats so that the seat runners sit inside the seat, saving a valuable 1Ē of head-room and meaning that drop floors are not required. Although the seats donít look that comfy, Iíve sourced some high density foam for the base and you canít tell the intrusions are there. This has taken me a great deal of extra time & fabrication than I anticipated, but Iím sure it will be worth it in the end.

All this work has finally allowed me to sit the chassis in the correct postion and finalise the postion of the pedals relative to the steering column. Boy that felt good

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6220733.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	33770   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6220734.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	33771   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8040777.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	33772   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA280928.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	33773  
Old 4th November 2008, 03:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ivan UK
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: None yet

looking good there Andy

just out of interest, could i bother you for any info you could throw my way regarding the rover V8 and UN1 arrangement as thats what i hope to have in the end, what clutch etc etc.

Ivan
Old 5th November 2008, 06:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Ivan
pm sent

Regards
Andy
Old 12th November 2008, 04:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Whilst at work, I decided that our transmission engineerís desk was looking decidedly cluttered and that the spare differential that heís had gathering dust for the last 15 years would look better in my GT40

This is a Lotus torque sensing limited slip differential, which we fitted into the Esprit Sport 300. The Esprit used a variant of the Renault UN1 transmission and the operating principle of the LSD is similar to the Quaife design, i.e. there are no plates or clutches to wear out, and progressively locks as torque increases unlike the more conventional limited-slip designs.

Should be fun

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB120933.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	33916  
Old 5th January 2009, 09:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

I managed to get some time in the workshop over Christmas and crack on with some of the rear panelling. Pretty pleased with the results, but progress made has been slower than I would have liked. Running out of aluminium didnít help either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC250939.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	35045   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC300941.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	35046   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC300944.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	35047   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC310939.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	35048   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC310944.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	35049  

Old 5th January 2009, 09:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

The seat cross-braces have also now been tacked in. Other UK Tornado builders take note as this is a requirement for the IVA test (section 15 states ďEach forward facing seat must be securely attached to the vehicle structure, or other obvious suitable load bearing parts of the vehicleĒ).

As thereís very little strength in the centre tunnel structure, Iíll be adding a cross-braces under the centre tunnel, so effectively the seat straps are continuous from one sill to the other.

Iíve also realised that my seats fail the new regulations in respect to the head restraint requirements. This will mean a head-restraint adding to the seat frame. A padded block on the bulkhead would be the easy option, but is not acceptable under the new regulations, specially as the seat are on sliders.

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040937.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	35050  
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Front roll cage now tacked into place. Iím pretty pleased how well it fits, with a very snug fit to the A-pillars. The roof rails will probably have some more work so that they are a better fit to the roof line before final welding
Itís starting to get very close to finishing all the welding on the chassis, so it can finally go off for blasting & powder coating

Regards
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1170940.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	35622   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170943.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	35623   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170945.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	35624   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170948.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	35625  
Old 30th January 2009, 04:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
bryn jones
Rookie
United Kingdom

GT40: tornado ts40

Hi Andy,
Looks like I have competion , your ally work is looking good.
Keep it up .

regards Bryn
Old 31st January 2009, 04:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Thanks for the compliment Bryn. There's no competition, I'm way behind you. Keep posting though, so I can nick all your good ideas

Regards
Andy
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
saxoncross
6 Tenths
United Kingdom

Front Brake system mock-up progressing nicely. My light weight composite (plywood!) brake bell has worked well, sufficient to work out my needs without scrapping off a large chunk of aluminum if the original design was wrong. Discs are 310mm diameter and will hopefully be a snug fit inside a 15Ē wheel. Drawing can now be prepared to get the final parts made.

Regards

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1220943.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	36663   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220944.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	36664