SouthernGT No6

I got my 351W engine 18 months ago, I was surprised how easy it was to pull it apart but even more surprised at the congealed oil found within. Some lumps were very large!!!

Attachments

• gt40 001.jpg
    gt40 001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,457
  • gt40 011.jpg
    gt40 011.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,552
  • 531W 001.jpg
    531W 001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 531W 006.jpg
    531W 006.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 531W 004.jpg
    531W 004.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:
Re: Nick's (I'll get there one day) Build Log

Leap forward 17 months and things are a little cleaner.

Attachments

• engine 010.jpg
    engine 010.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,263
  • gt40build 006.jpg
    gt40build 006.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,288

Christmas came early this year , at a price. These carbs were 2.5 times the cost of my daily driver, what have I done!!!!

Attachments

• gt40build 005.jpg
    gt40build 005.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,470
Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter

Those carb look great. But I am curious. Is your daily driver a Yugo?

Andy

Thanks for the comments, deciding on which kit to build is going to be the hardest decision to make, after what colour to paint it.

I have a heart over head choice, the heart goes for the RCR I love the concept and the company philosophy. However, the head says Southern GT as I can build it in stages without incurring dreaded import taxes, I’m not clever enough to build this car on my own and Martin Gough is nearby and doing a quality build on an SGT and I know where he lives!!!so help would be close to hand, it’s not going to be an easy choice.

Chuck

Not a Yugo but a Ford Mondeo Ghia X bought unseen off ebay with 70,000 miles on the clock, fully loaded and one of the best cars I have ever bought, I love it.

Today I fitted the timing gears which required some modifications to the camshaft thrust plate.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 972
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 939
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,130

Mike Pass

Supporter

Straight cut timing gears! Better get some heavy duty earplugs with those things shrieking by your left ear. Mind you with the webers snorting as well you will be so deaf you won't notice. You're obviously as mad as the rest of us. Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Mike

Mike,

I think you are mistaking madness with ignorance, it was the "noisy gears sounds like a supercharger" that sold it thought a supercharger soud would be nice.

P.S. I would like to make a statement that I was a perfectly sane, Fiesta driving, respected member of the community until I started going to the Northern GT 40 enthusiast club meetings and met you all. Not sure what happened after that, my family claim it's something called a mid life crisis, but in your defence I am smiling more.

Last edited:

I'm with you, Nick. I like the sound also! Plus, the sound is behind you. You just have to go fast enough to outrun it!

Nick: Here's the timing set I recommend. It's quiet and very durable. We've use them with great success in for NASCAR and NASA racing engines.

Last edited:
Exciting day today

Hi,

This arrived today which was very exciting

Attachments

• DSCF0696.jpg
    DSCF0696.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,099
Re: Then these arrived which was really really exciting

I have become the proud custodian of Southern GT number 6 chassis. All I hope now is that we (because I don’t have the skills to do this on my own) can do justice to SGT 006’s two previous owners in the build.

Attachments

• DSCF0689.jpg
    DSCF0689.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,492
  • DSCF0690.jpg
    DSCF0690.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,433
  • DSCF0691.jpg
    DSCF0691.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • DSCF0692.jpg
    DSCF0692.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,192
  • DSCF0693.jpg
    DSCF0693.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • DSCF0694.jpg
    DSCF0694.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,431
  • DSCF0695.jpg
    DSCF0695.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,363

Nick,
Congratulations. Money well spent from what I hear about Southern GT.
I hope you enjoy your build process as much as I'm enjoying mine. To see such a wonderful car come into focus is truly inspirational. I think so every time I open the garage doors.
Good luck.

Martin

Congrats Nick,

already wondered where the "for sale post" has gone to.

Fran did you get my sms today?

TOM

I like the idea of the filler caps & door handles in the display case, presumably somewhere prominant in the house :laugh:

Good luck with the build

Regards
Andy

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, Andy it is in quite a good prominant position on my side of the room, as this photo shows.

Nick

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,479

Nick, good luck with the build......maybe when work frees up a little I can get on with building a 40 again

glad the filler caps are worthy of such a position!!

Back