D.I.Y. Mk IV

About time to turn the first sod on this project- it will be a long one with large gaps between updates , so dont get too excited. No physical progress on body as yet but a bit on what is the biggest problem to overcome-- for me anyway---and thats the transaxle. Im afraid I just could not be satisfied with any of the high $$$$ options out there, so------ this is what I have in mind, still lots of sanding & glueing etc to go yet before I can make the castings, but I have its back broken -so to speak! Hopefully this will withstand all the Torque & HP I have available to throw at it, & if it does break it wont cost me two arms & legs to fix!!

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A lot of work already Jac....

I'll be watching this build log with great interest!

Thanks guys but this is only the start, long way to go yet.

David- Simple question, tough one to answer----lets just say final configuration undecided as yet as I have several options.

Nice! I too have been bouncing that same idea around in my head of casting my own gearcase and putting in internals that I hopefully can pick up for minimal cost. What are you intending to melt down - old casings, pistons, manifolds, etc... or will you purchase raw ingot?

Russ, were you a slave master in a past life!
Egoman, hope you get well soon, if your relying on regular updates from me to make you feel better its gonna be a long recovery!
Aero, tongue in cheek answer would be Bert Munros--two of chev, one of ford mix:), Tiwai Point Aluminum Smelter--50 miles south of here-lots of alloy ingot down there:)
Dave, where is Bert when I need him!!!!

Only a few bits to report on this weeks endeavours, some cattle managed to destroy our main water supply line plus about 10 meters of fenceline on monday nite so repairs in that area disposed of tuesday completely.
Spent some time checking everything will fit internally with reference to case thickness & allowing for shrinkage in casting process. By doing a weight conversion from the material in the patterns to alloy plus adding all the intended components it looks like it will be around 200/220lb for the trans (dry). Bellhousing will add another 10/15lbs to that.

Dimensions--NB- taken from patterns, some of these are approximate as machineing/casting allowances may mean slight changes in final format.

Overall length ------------------29.500" ( incl bellhousing )
Width @ drive flange face-------11.500" ( for U/J---add app 1.000" oa for CV )
Height-Top lugs/CWP case base-16.500"
Crank below output shaft --------2.750"
C/L output to base of Housing----8.500"
Cyl block to output shafts--------9.500"---10.000" in street clutch setup.

I see the Ricardo is 200lb dry & John tells me his ZF weighs in around 90kg (198# approx ), so I might have to put it on a bit of a diet yet before making a casting set- dont want to create any weak areas though. Damn sight easier to file off a bit of wood at this stage than on each casting later.

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,

You should just get yourself a good 930. :dead: About 130lbs with adaptor plate . It'll do the job. About US$3000. Or a lot cheaper for one that YOU would be capable of rebuilding for the investment of very little money or time.

Save yourself about100lbs and five years work. Some guys spend that amount on an alloy block just to save that amount of weight!:pepper:

Seriously though, great effort. It will be much more original looking than a 930. That's the major drawback of the 930, it just doesn't seem right in the back of a Ford. And although the Porsche parts are fairly reasonably priced, compared to say a ZF, I'm sure what you've got planned for inside it will be more economical still.

Good luck, I await further developments.

Jac,

I have always wanted to watch the process of turning a plug into a mould into the final peice, so good luck and I look foreward to the progress,

Not sure if it is of any help but I have a fully detailed set of drawings of the Hewland VGC box we have in RF 117, happy to send a copy over in the post

Regards

Iain

Jac Mac. The amaizing thing about being kiwi is the ability to give any thing ago. My little project is nothing when it comes to the precision and set up required to your project so top marks. I remember when I started and people asked why I was trying to do what large teams of engineers had spent millions on, because I wanted the pleasure and satisfaction, that`s why. To me the learning curve has been one of the best parts of the journey.
I am now assembling the motor so on the final straight so roll on the noise.
Best of luck. Funny thing is that I am back in Dunedin to morrow, so close yet so far.
Cheers

Back