Allan's RCR40 Build

I've been looking forward to building a GT40 for a very long time and finally placed the order and then received my kit Wednesday of last week. Of course it had to snow even more the night before delivery but the truck arrived as planned and we managed to get my kit into its bay of the garage.

A couple hours later I had taken tons of pictures of the parts then stripped it down the the bare frame and started applying a ceramic sound deadening/heat barrier to critical parts of the frame.

Over the weekend I put the front and rear suspension back together trying to get the alignment specs as close as possible.

So far I'm really enjoying the build.

BTW, I'm from Connecticut and this will be the 3rd component car that I have built + 1 composite 2 seater airplane.

Allan

Attachments

• GT40 arrival parts pictures 004.jpg
    GT40 arrival parts pictures 004.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 821
  • GT40 arrival parts pictures 007.jpg
    GT40 arrival parts pictures 007.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 833
  • GT40 arrival parts pictures 015.jpg
    GT40 arrival parts pictures 015.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 999
That is one heck of a first post! Welcome the club. Also welcome to the RCR family. If you have any questions, there are plenty of builders here to help.

Now, lets git ur dun!!!!!

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Allan,

Nice week!

It's only been in the garage seven days and you already have a shelf full of trophies? (I didn't have that much garage bling after my first week)???

Clearly, here's another happy owner of an award-winning RCR creation. :thumbsup:

Welcome, Allan. Looking forward to watching your build.

T.

Thank you everyone for the warm greeting and for offering help. I'm sure that I'll be calling on everyone for help and advice. I'm really impressed with all the builds I've seen on this site. I'm already fully enmeshed in the build and can't wait to come home each day and do a little more.
To answer some questions,
Engine: modified Ford 302 with gt40 heads, etc to about 375 horse.
Trans.: Porsche G50 with taller 4th and 5th gears, stage 2 clutch and cooler
I also got the +2 option with the flairs.
Full roll cage

As for the "bling"/trophies they belong to my last build which is up on a lift in the main garage.
And the airplane I built and have since sold, is a Europa trigear XS 2 seater. 800 pounds that cruised at 150mph with a 100 horse power Rotax engine. It was a real joy to fly but I needed to sell it when it came time to build my log home. It was all composite fiberglass except for the land gear and engine.

I'll be posting lots of pictures as I progress along.

Allan

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Allan - Welcome to the family.... Somehow I think there are more trophies in your future! :)

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the Forum Allen. You will find a wealth of information here about these cars. Best of luck on your build!
Keith

Spent some time and got the engine in and the frame mounts in the right spot. Pretty straight forward going in and now I can see if everything else is going to fit.

Attachments

• GT40 2-11 007.jpg
    GT40 2-11 007.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 793
  • GT40 2-11 009.jpg
    GT40 2-11 009.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 758
  • GT40 2-11 010.jpg
    GT40 2-11 010.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 690
  • GT40 2-11 012.jpg
    GT40 2-11 012.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 739
  • GT40 2-11 013.jpg
    GT40 2-11 013.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 713

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I see that you are using a G50 as well (what version? - I am using a shortened G50/03)
Before you drill the holes for the side motor mounts - you may want to check the clearance of the rear of the trans to the body.
I had to move my engine forward a little over 2" to get clearance.
More info is on my website below.

Thanks Randy, I had to shift the engine forward about 2 inches from where it is in the picture so that the back housing of the starter was even with the back of the horseshoe frame.
It's a 1989 five speed G50, the shortest version there is.

BTW, your website is really good and helpful.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Allan... I appreciate the kudos..

My G50/03 is maybe an inch longer than the G50/50 at this point since I shortened it.

I ended up coming up with an alternative starter mounting scenario for mine as there were really no other alternatives at the time.

Back