A.J.'s RCR 40

This log will be a completion detail log rather than a build-from-square-one story. As such,it will take up very little space here. I'm doing this so any details that are different than what's already been covered or of use to others will be documented. Many of our cars have details that make them unique and in the end, our own personalized 'canvases'.
It's been a long process at RCR but finally very close. Fran and the crew have incorporated many of the RCR updates and even some unique methods developed by Forum members as they sought to improve the breed. I can't take any credit for the nuts and bolts build but want to share the pics, some of which have already been posted but will now be organized here.
This is a street machine and will have the standard rear clip.
Delivery is still not finalized but Fran has indicated it will be shipped at the end of this week, 8/27-8/28. I'm excited at the prospect of getting the car home and completing the final steps. The following photos are from the earlier build process:

Attachments

• RCR my chassis.jpg
    RCR my chassis.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 861
  • RCR my chassis 2.jpg
    RCR my chassis 2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 806
  • RCRmycaratshop.jpg
    RCRmycaratshop.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 604
  • MONOPOSTO 58 048.jpg
    MONOPOSTO 58 048.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 580
  • MONOPOSTO 58 041.jpg
    MONOPOSTO 58 041.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 654
More pics:

Attachments

• RCR doorsrockers.jpg
    RCR doorsrockers.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 497
  • 40 rear tire.jpeg
    40 rear tire.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 541
  • AJ 008 GT40.jpg
    AJ 008 GT40.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 522
  • AJ 011 GT40.jpg
    AJ 011 GT40.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 517
  • AJ 010 GT40 - Copy.jpg
    AJ 010 GT40 - Copy.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 497
  • A.J.'s 40.jpeg
    A.J.'s 40.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 538
  • gt40.8-09-3.jpg
    gt40.8-09-3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 653
  • gt40.8-09-1.jpg
    gt40.8-09-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 560
  • 40 minus clip.jpeg
    40 minus clip.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 587
  • Keith Craft 331 SBF.jpeg
    Keith Craft 331 SBF.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 691
  • GT40 8-20.jpeg
    GT40 8-20.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 588
  • cam spec sheet.jpg
    cam spec sheet.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 597
  • GT40 dyno chart.jpg
    GT40 dyno chart.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 564

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Decent lift and the split duration of that cam is going to sound GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!! Nice power you have too, looks like the torque is there instantly and pretty nice curve. The HP curve is really nice too, very linear. This thing is going to be a blast to drive man!! Can't wait to hear the test driving experiences.

Laters,

Brian

A.J. Congratulations on nearing completion, By the way I used the Dynamat in my Cobra build. The stuff is great! Does RCR use Dynamat underlayment on all of the turn key builds? I never thought to ask him about insulation.

Last edited:
Al,

I am impressed with the color choice! And, the engine-work is not too shabby for a little V8 (ref: your jab at the Viper V10 :drunk:). You inspired me to start my build log thread.....

Allen - It's not a turn key,but with additions,is pretty close. I've got a bunch of stuff on the way from Summit Racing which should tie up the loose ends. As for the Dynamat, I asked Fran for the insulation in the cabin,it's not 'standard',nothing is. There's basic stuff but each order differs. He said he had some stuff that he used on the SEMA car that was very effective and would use that. Additionally, Mark used a heavier material on the floor of the wheel well area to deaden stone noise. A.J.

Last edited:
Thanks Scott! The tires are Toyo Proxes's. Fronts are TPT's 225/60-15 and rears are ST's 295/50 -15. I plan on going to T1R's or similar(better bite and matching tread pattern) after I go through registration. You won't find the rear tires anywhere at this point unless you run across an isolated dealer with a couple. I had an agent scour the country for remaining stock and now have the last spare ones in my basement. I may even go to Avon's or Hoosier's later,but these will do for the street while I sort out the car. This area sees a lot of rain(don't want to drive in the rain? -don't go out.) and I liked the dry/wet performance of the TPT's on my BMW. One of the first things I will be doing is to try to minimize water intrusion. I know you can't prevent all, just most.

Allen, for a primarily street car I think it's a good option. Give Fran a call. I'm sure he can add it at this stage of the build.

Here are some recent photos. RCR came up with an innovative safety latch for the rear clip,accessed through the driver's side air duct. It eliminates the exterior top pins. I will post more later.

Attachments

• RCR40 compl18.jpg
    RCR40 compl18.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 548
  • RCR40 compl14.jpg
    RCR40 compl14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 491
  • RCR40 compl24.jpg
    RCR40 compl24.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 577
  • RCR40 compl11.jpg
    RCR40 compl11.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 517
  • RCR40 compl10.jpg
    RCR40 compl10.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 544
  • RCR40 compl15.jpg
    RCR40 compl15.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 529
  • RCR40 compl20.jpg
    RCR40 compl20.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 480
  • RCR40 compl22.jpg
    RCR40 compl22.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 656
  • RCR40 compl 5.jpg
    RCR40 compl 5.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 604
  • RCR40 compl21.jpg
    RCR40 compl21.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 456

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Al,

That's really looking sharp. If good things come to those who wait, then this one's surely worth waiting for!

T.

Thanks Tim. Waiting on the shipper at this point, not RCR. Fran will not let them have the car until they're ready to go so it doesn't sit somewhere in a trailer or ?(thanks Fran). Right now it looks like the shipper is going to take about 10 or 11 days from departure to destination. Arrival could be 9/17-18. Fran and the crew have paid considerable attention to some remaining details and it looks like I can finish up the final items fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Nice! I should time out well. By spring you ought to have the bugs worked out and be smiling wide.

I have a buddy up in CT, a bit of a closet car nut (he works too dern much). I promised I would road trip up when mine was rolling. Hopefully that will be next spring too. We should get these beasts together!

-J.

Wow A.J. the car looks great! How are you sleeping these days? Knowing that you are just days away from getting the car home has got to be exciting. The Talbot mirrors are a nice touch to the street car look too. The exhaust looks great, and you will like the sound from them. When I was at Dutton’s he fired his car up so I could hear his car. It was music to my ears....

Nice! I should time out well. By spring you ought to have the bugs worked out and be smiling wide.

I have a buddy up in CT, a bit of a closet car nut (he works too dern much). I promised I would road trip up when mine was rolling. Hopefully that will be next spring too. We should get these beasts together!

-J.
That would be great. You might want to time your trip for this exact weekend next year - the Lime Rock Historic Races and Concourse. I'm going up tomorrow. Allanffr has his 40 on the road ( he did a fantastic job,even did the paint!!!) and will be there as well. I'll try to get some pics from the track. I have the 'mouse' motor in my car,can't imagine it with the LS7! Let me know what tires you're using and I'll buy stock in that company.
Allen - yes,I'm pretty pumped about having the car here to get the last items done and get the car on the road. You must be too,looking at the recent work RCR has done on yours.Both daughters want to 'help' with the project and,although it may take a bit longer,I'm looking forward to having them spend more time with me.

Back