Well....here goes all or nuthin.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
This DRB #83. The engine is a 4.6 supercharged Cobra. The tranny is the Ricardo. I should be fitting the engine /tranny in a couple of weeks.

Pete

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,718

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Both feet in eh Pete? :)

That car is going to be a nice mild mannered sleeper while cruising around town - but when you get on it - it will scream like a banshee!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
That would be my engine and transaxle but it will not fit in my car. Good choice.
They do fit I think - I am pretty sure there is a SPF with a mod motor Ford in it on this forum or passing through my email some time ago. Not sure on the transaxle though.

Good luck with the installation and I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the blown mod motor.

Ron

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I agree, there were some pictures of a modular motor sitting in the tub of a SPF on the forum a year or so ago. I think the project was in Arizona. Doe anyone know an update on it?

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys,
That's right Randy. Finally get to work on this beast. I decided early on I could make this combo work. The DRB chassis was designed to handle up to the 5.4 non supercharged. I accepted the fact I was going to need to modify the chassis. I'll also be able to move the engine/tranny forward about three inches. I'm fabbing an engine lift bar as we speak to aid in the install.

Attachments

• DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,120
Wow Pete, that's a monster combination.

Nothing wrong with a little transaxle poking out the back so long as you can get the CVs in a reasonable position obviously.

You're in the NW USA? Anywhere near Seattle (where I am)?

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Cliff,

It so happens I needed to move the engine forward in order to align the CVs. By doing so allows no poking out the back. I happen to be in Maple Valley,WA right down the road from Steve26.

Jack,

Around 800 lbs. I'll have to put a lot of lightning hole in the chassis.:rolleyes:

Yeah, and some lightning stripes air brushed down the sides too!!

Unfortunately, I missed the last NW GT40/Cobra gathering a few weeks back (four kids under 5 can be distracting....). I'd like to host a gathering at my place next summer as I have a new/large garage with two lifts and all kinds of cool stuff to make it a fun event. In the meantime I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Cheers!

Pete:
That looks like a dynamite setup, I will be interested to see how the exhaust fits up on that puppy.
Looking forward to oncoming posts on your project.
Cheers
Phil

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Phil,

I have seen other Australian DRB cars with the 5.4 on this forum. I don't think the exhaust will be a problem. Famous last words...."all you gotta do is..."

Pete

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Okay, so here's the first stab trial fit. The variable is the Ricardo at this stage. I need and have two inches of clearance to set her in. I will need to move a cross beam as assumed for the bellhousing area.

Pete

Attachments

• DSC00078.jpg
    DSC00078.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,288
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,132

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Pete, are you going with the original 4.6 ECU or a stand alone unit like Electromotive or Fast? Nice that you can put a flat panel on the engine firewall, the modulars are shorter.

Pete, looks like your transaxles output is pretty much right in line with the hubs. You could probably be OK with an inch or two of off-center if it meant not catching your hairdo in the pulleys on the front of the engine....

Back