Graham's RCR GT40 Build...

So here goes my build log.

The car is here, I have the will, now I need they way :)

I don't think I will ever be able to match the quality of some of the builds on here (there are TOO many to mention), but I'll do my best.

The garage is a tip at the moment, but that will change soon :)

Just want to say a big thatnks to all you guys who have helped me so far. I will be borrowing heavily from all your build logs, so once again, a BIG thanks!!!

All the best,

Graham.

P.S. the windscreen WON'T be staying there :laugh:

(Ifthere is no piccy here, then I'm soing sonething wrong)

Post1.jpg....

Patience, Graham patience....not that I built my car but from all the logs I've read that appears to be the common theme. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job.

HI Graham,

Congratulation to your new toy.
You will see that building a RCR is pretty much a straight forward thing.
Just in case you don´t know how to proceed, don´t hesitate to contact me. I would be more than happy to help and support

TOM

OK, so I've started on a few basics to get some confidence up as I'm pretty new to this car building malarkey :)

I pinched an idea from Mark Reid's build (thanks Mark! and Fran for pointing it out to me) for the taller gentleman. I'm 6' 3" tall, so I need to have the pedals as far forward as possible. Trouble is that my knee fouls the steering column. Mark's Idea - SIMPLE, just invert the column so that it passes over the lower dash brace as oposed to under it (piccies attached)... I then tidied up with some ally plating to finish it all. Once I've gone through IVA, I'll make a more permanent solution (I'm not happy with the screws, they are too heavy and I would like a better finish to the job (did I say I'm still learning :) )).

Next up - make up the fan holders for the radiator. SIMPLE I hear you all say...well not to me. I'm just building confidence with all this stuff, so jobs like this really help with the belief that I CAN do this! :embarassed: :)

I then cut an angle into the front ally portion of the chassis (not sure what it's called) to allow for the aircon tubing to pass by the side of the radiator.

Finally I covered my radiator tubes with a heat resistant material as recommended to me to keep some of the heat out of the cabin.

All pretty basic stuff. Next job is to site the pedals and move the brake and clutch reservoirs to the right side of the car so that I can get on with the aircon.

That's all for now guys.

Graham

Attachments

• DSC00242.JPG
    DSC00242.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 916
  • DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 820
  • DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC00253.jpg
    DSC00253.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC00251.JPG
    DSC00251.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 791
Graham,
your cover plates for the steering shaft looks creditable. It will clean up with some
minor sanding. Those bolts look fine. Super job on the cutouts in the radiator support panels. Keep up the good work! We are all learning things as we get along with our respective builds. Most improtantly, have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks to the mandarins at the Ministry for Irrelevant Laws, I need to fit fuel tanks that are not a part of the cockpit area.

As I have a Mk1 RCR 40 (I think , I must check with Fran what my serial number is), I have decided to do fit internal tanks rather than fit an internal cover over the sponson (belt and braces).

Mick Sollis from Southern GT is kindly making the tanks for me, so today I bit the bullet and got busy with my grinder / Reciprocating saw / jigsaw / elbow grease.

I cut away the front of the sponsons and then used my long arms to grind / saw / hammer out the internal baffles.
To get to the middle baffle I have made inspection holes and covers for the sponsons. This will also help if the man at the IVA test needs me to prove the existence of separate fuel tanks.

This was a horrible job, so I'm glad I've got it out of the way :)

Piccies attached.

Cheers,

Graham.

Attachments

• DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 731
  • DSC00269.JPG
    DSC00269.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 805
  • DSC00265.jpg
    DSC00265.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 790
  • DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 755
  • DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 751
  • DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 759

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A ton of work to be sure... I was eyeballing my own RCR today - thinking about doing the very same thing...

Randy,

This is standard now on every new RCR 40 .If you want you could ask Fran for the tanks

TOM

Randy,

It's a pretty yucky job. After the first one was completed through a lot of swearing, grinding and bashing to remove the internal baffles, I realised that to remove the baffles, the best thing was to use my reciprocating saw with a flexible metal blade. This could squeeze between the wall and the baffle to remove the welds, which made it a lot easier. Still a horrible job though!!!

After downing a beer I then realised that to get the new tanks in I've got to dismantle all the front suspension...

That led to another beer... :drunk:

Graham.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

This is standard now on every new RCR 40 .If you want you could ask Fran for the tanks

TOM

I'll check in with him to see if his new fuel cell liners will work in the old style (like mine and Graham's) sponsons..

Randy,

It's a pretty yucky job. After the first one was completed through a lot of swearing, grinding and bashing to remove the internal baffles, I realised that to remove the baffles, the best thing was to use my reciprocating saw with a flexible metal blade. This could squeeze between the wall and the baffle to remove the welds, which made it a lot easier. Still a horrible job though!!!

After downing a beer I then realised that to get the new tanks in I've got to dismantle all the front suspension...

That led to another beer... :drunk:

Graham.

It does look like quite the daunting task. I'm curious if one can get by with the normal access hole that's on an original GT40 to get the job done?

Were the baffles welded to the inner tub as well or just to the top / outer sides and bottom of the sponson's? Where I'm going with this is - wondering if I would not be just time and effort ahead by just using my plasma cutter to cut away the welds from the outside and then TIG welding the holes back up.

I'll check in with him to see if his new fuel cell liners will work in the old style (like mine and Graham's) sponsons..

It does look like quite the daunting task. I'm curious if one can get by with the normal access hole that's on an original GT40 to get the job done?

Were the baffles welded to the inner tub as well or just to the top / outer sides and bottom of the sponson's? Where I'm going with this is - wondering if I would not be just time and effort ahead by just using my plasma cutter to cut away the welds from the outside and then TIG welding the holes back up.

The welds are to the top and inner side of the sponsons, not the bottom or the outer. They are not complete welds, rather they are 1 inch spot welds. I imagine you could get your plasma cutter in from the front with a little effort without having to butcher the top of the sponson.

Yesterday i was DREAMING of owning a plasma cutter :)

Graham.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Graham

I don't know the routing of the filler pipe from the fuel cap into the tank on the RCR but on spaceframe ones this section also needs double skinned / modified so the filler pipe is not inside the cab area.

I'm not sure how the worthless ministry men would take to a tube in a tube but that could be an easy way out if acceptable

IAn

Graham

I don't know the routing of the filler pipe from the fuel cap into the tank on the RCR but on spaceframe ones this section also needs double skinned / modified so the filler pipe is not inside the cab area.

I'm not sure how the worthless ministry men would take to a tube in a tube but that could be an easy way out if acceptable

IAn

Hi Ian,

I plan on forming an ally cover that will hide the pipes, thus they will not be in the cockpit as such. This should be acceptable, unless you think there should be another way?

Cheers,

Graham.

Graham

IAn

That actualy was one my thoughts too. FIA rules require to cover inside Fuel filler hoses with a flexible aluminium hose.
ISA-Racing Online Shop - Alu-Schutzschlauch 6596-Schlauch

Wonder if this would meet IVA

TOM

Ian,
Nice looking work!
I like the idea of covering the filler hoses with an aluminum hose. I think I will have to look into that. If I had to do it over again I would use fuel cells, regardless of the increased cost and hassle. Burning up is low on my list of priorities.
Keep going, you are making tough work look easy!
-J.

That actualy was one my thoughts too. FIA rules require to cover inside Fuel filler hoses with a flexible aluminium hose.
ISA-Racing Online Shop - Alu-Schutzschlauch 6596-Schlauch

Wonder if this would meet IVA

TOM

Tom,

I'm not sure if that will meet IVA over here...
It's all guesswork at the moment as very few '40's have gone through IVA. I think that if I make an Aluminium panel that keeps the fuel pipes completely away from the cockpit area, then that should satisfy the Mole from The Ministry. I kow its belt and braces, but at this point in the build I would rather err on the side of caution. I would hate to fail IVA for such a small detail!

Cheers,

Graham.

I have a RCR40 IVA retest next month,

The tanks have to be separated from the chassis & earthed, with drain holes in the outer compartment,

The filler pipes need a panel to form a sealed bulkhead from the cabin area, also a drain hole leading to the outside, when the fuel tanks are full these areas, are classed as part of the fuel tank,

Good luck, enjoy the build.

ps, take photos of this area to satisfy the tester,

I have a RCR40 IVA retest next month,

The tanks have to be separated from the chassis & earthed, with drain holes in the outer compartment,

The filler pipes need a panel to form a sealed bulkhead from the cabin area, also a drain hole leading to the outside, when the fuel tanks are full these areas, are classed as part of the fuel tank,

Good luck, enjoy the build.

ps, take photos of this area to satisfy the tester,

Terry,

Thanks for this info. Could I possibly talk to you regarding the placement od said drain holes etc...?

Cheers,

Graham.

Back