GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Build Logs

GT40 Build Logs For build threads and build diaries only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2010, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

GT40: DRB Mk1
Woody's new project

Hi Guys
I'm Woody from New Zealand and this is the first stage of the build.
The body comes from Australia DRB in Brisbane, with the front and rear clips and doors hung. This suited me because Im an engine builder and fiberglass just makes me itchy, so I could get stuck straight into the nuts and bolts. In the suspenssion the upper and lower front A arms, stub axle and rear brake hub is mid 80's corvette. the rest Iv'e fabricated.
The transaxle (G50) is from a back door porch and is already shakin in its boots as the engine, albeit left over bits from a sprint car, will be 427cu-in
Fontana alloy block, Wilson electronic fuel injection CHI power pac heads and dry sumped. I'll be disapointed if it does any more than 5 miles to the gallon. With no emissions to worry about here in Kiwi land its all road legal.
Im lovin the project and the forum, Its good to bash gums with guys that have the same interests. I'll keep you posted. Have fun..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT40_0048.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	44648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	44649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	44650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	44651  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 19th January 2010, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
MartinGough
4 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: SouthernGT40
Re: Woody's new project

Pete

Interesting project. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures.

Regards Martin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 19th January 2010, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pete
Lifetime Premier Supporter
Australia

GT40: GT40 Australia.

Hi Woody, looks like you have made good progress already. Nice looking wheels, I look forward to the rest of your build. You will find a lot of very helpful people on here.
DRB #48
Old 21st January 2010, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
townie55
Rookie
New Zealand

Thanks for the photos Pete. I was wondering if you have been brave enough to put a timeframe on the finish date, and whether your car will see the race track?

I assume since you live down that way that you will be attending the Festival of Speed at Hampton Downs or the following weekend at Pukekohe - bound to be a couple of GT40s there to help celebrate the Bruce McLaren anniversary weekend.

Regards

Cam Auckland, NZ
Old 21st January 2010, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
slowhand
6 Tenths
United States

GT40: none

Woody,
The car out to be a rocket!
Garry
Old 21st January 2010, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

Thanks for the comments guys
Cam
I will defiantly will be at Hampton downs for the week end. It is said to be one of the largest meetings of F5000's in recent history. With cars from USA, Aussie, UK, etc If the weather holds out it will be a Buzz.
As for my Car, it will be track driven mostly but road registered for fun drives around the country. I would love to say inside a year I'll be driving it but I don't want to put that much presure on myself, I'm concentrating on getting it right. I'm enjoying the build making a lot of the components myself which also takes time. One of the biggest motiveators for me is that from my garage I can hear Pukekohe race track, Where the F5000 and Can-Am cars will be next week. The sound of thundering V8's beats the radio any day...
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
kevinruthbox
2 Tenths
Australia

GT40: GT40NZ

Great intake
can you post more photos of it

KB
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Phil
9 Tenths
United States

GT40: Mk1B

Pete
Looks like you've got a great start on the project, nice looking front roll bar attachment, and it looks like you have quite a bit of anti-dive in that front suspension.
Good luck with the build and I also would be interested in seeing a closeup of that induction setup.
Cheers
Phil
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
RacerDave
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: Scratch built40

Pete:

Looks like she'll be fast. Welcome aboard Dave
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
EGLITOM
10 tenths
Germany

GT40: RCR40;LR331;G50

Pete very nice execution.

Iīm not quite shure about the anti dive comment of Phil. Isnīt this more a pro-dive setup ( in braking it would dive in or ?)

TOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Pete
Looks like you've got a great start on the project, nice looking front roll bar attachment, and it looks like you have quite a bit of anti-dive in that front suspension.
Good luck with the build and I also would be interested in seeing a closeup of that induction setup.
Cheers
Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 24th January 2010, 02:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
albanygt40
9 Tenths
Australia

GT40: RF12 & RF2 67

Hi Woody
Great work so far.

I like your front alloy upper shock mounts. Can I ask where you got them from? I would like to get a pair.

Cheers
Old 24th January 2010, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

Phil
Thanks for the comments. the front roll bar is a used torsion bars from a sprint car. We have a few different spring rates lying around so I thought I would put them to use The alloy arm is made for the job. Can you elaberate on anti dive, I've not heard that term before. Basicly the A arms are mid 80's Corvette and the pick up points are the same so weather thats a good thing or a bad thing I'd be inerested to know.
Dave
The front shock mounts are fabricated from 3mm mild steel and then ceramic coated. I do have drawings if you are still interested.
KB
The Intake is just a manifold at this stage I still need to get all the electronic gear, I'm used to full flow injection or carbs so this will be a whole new learning curve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	44818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	44819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	44820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	44821  
Old 25th January 2010, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
kevinruthbox
2 Tenths
Australia

Thumbs up Re: Woody's new project

Woody

Thanks for posting pics of intake
Did you build it or did you get it from as supplier.
It is good to see a manifold that has a good entry to the head.
Typically Weber (IDA /IDF) end up with a double bend in the intake which is not so good
Sure your manifold doesnt look traditional but I think it is awesome way to do it.

I'll be interested to see how you go with that engine Combo. CHI 3Vs are awsome heads and should flow heaps enough for 427 combo.
All the things that Cleveland guys from years ago would liked to have got their hands on!!

What bore / stroke did you settle on? Is it 4.125 with 4.00 stroke ???
With the fontan block you should end up with a very light powerful combo.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

KB
Old 25th January 2010, 06:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Phil
9 Tenths
United States

GT40: Mk1B

Woody:
Anti-dive is basically a component of the placement of the upper or lower wishbones to create a lifting effect to counteract weight transfer during braking. You have no problem there, just looks like quite an angle on the upper mounts. That Corvette setup works well and looks good.
I had originally intended on using a sprint car anti-roll bar and always liked the look and linkage setups available.
Thanks for posting the photos on that intake. You should have quite a rocket when its done.
Cheers
Phil
Old 26th January 2010, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

Phil
Thanks for that. A friend who races sprintcars took me for a spin in his corvette and I was impressed with the handling. I wouldn't get back in the car with that lunatic but I'm more than happy with this set up.
The roll bars are readily available and reasonably priced at most race shops ( speedway) and lots of different spring rates. They can be changed at the track in a matter of minutes, Its an easy way of changing the way the car rides on the day.
KB
The suplier was Wilson manifolds in Melbourne Ast. Sure its not traditional but when I saw it I just had to have it! Just one of them deals.
The bore stroke ratio is 4.165 x 3.9 not quite 427 inches.
Your right about the cleavland guys, My brother had a Falcon XA coupe 351C he run in muscle car events 20 years ago man we blew up more engines than we had hot dinners. Aftermarket parts just wern't around then. with the cylinder heads we chopped off the exhaust port and screwed on an alloy plate, made cast tongues for the intake, all to raise the ports all new valve inserts to change the valve sizes machined for roller rockers and then all the porting etc etc they were a $10,000 exicize.
Today my CHI alloy heads are 700hp out of the box for $3000. Its a no-brainer really.
Old 30th January 2010, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
tyrone112
United States

GT40: just the kit

hi woody my name is tyrone and i'm just wondering if there is anyway you can help me with build plans for a gt40 cause i'm trying to build one as a father and son project car.

thank you
Old 31st January 2010, 04:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

Hi Tyrone
There are many different kits available and everone chooses one for thier own reason. For me I choose A DRB kit from Brisbane Austraila. I believe there is a Dealer in USA. Google " DRB Sportscars " They will give you what you need from a base body and chassis kit with a build manual right through to a turn key driver. You can build the components yourself or buy them from the factory depending on ones level of ability.
I hope this helps.
Old 31st January 2010, 05:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pete Woodward
A Tenth
New Zealand

Hi Guys, My new heads turned up from CHI today Couldn't wait to try them on for size. Looks good so far although I needed to cut the opening a little bigger to get the manifold in! and I've still got to fit air cleanners yet. do they make a Gurney bubble for the rear window
KB
Sorry M8 I put you wrong the manifold's been tucked away for sometime and I just draged it out today it's not a Wilson its a Morrision.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	44895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	44896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	44897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	44898  
Old 31st January 2010, 05:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Russ Noble
Lifetime Premier Supporter
New Zealand

GT40: Scratch Kiwi 40

I love those crossover manifolds. They just look so right!
Old 31st January 2010, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
kevinruthbox
2 Tenths
Australia

Russ

Maybe a certain scratchbuilt needs a set ???

KB