SLC 007 Dave Lindemann

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Okay, so I'm a little slow getting started......

I've been a member of this forum for some time now and my original goal was to build a GT40.....and I may still do that one day. What got me sidelined was Fran Hall - yes Fran I blame YOU! The original SLC with the transverse GM 4 banger out of a Cobalt caught my attention. But there was something about the styling that I didn't connect with. Then RCR unveiled the redesigned SLC with the 1UZFE twin turbo engine - that was it - I was hooked. I visited Detroit a couple of times, and I may have some of this out of order but, I placed my order 9/15/2007, found a decent 1UZFE, ordered a Haltech harness and ECU and BAM! May 25, 2008 a tornado takes our house and virtually everything in it - thankfully, no one was hurt, not even the cats or dogs.....though the gold fish didn't fare too well (may they rest in peace).

Jump forward a few months and we are in a different house on 5 acres with a pole building (who cares about the house!). Yes, the tornado was the worst physical experience my wife and I and our animals have EVER been through and I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone but, I now have a pole building! In the interim I've called Fran and told him of the situation and the loss of the Haltech and most of the 1UZFE and requested that he hold off on delivery for....awhile. I then decided to go with the LS3 which Fran could provide along with the ECU and pedal TBW. The car and engine were delivered on 10/10/2008 and I was THRILLED to say the least.

Unfortunately, between the time of the delivery and now there were quite a few .....shall we say distractions. However, I am now able to spend "some" time working on the car. I have already learned a great deal from Jack, Rob, Howard, Cam, Will, Doc, Alex and others, I only hope that at some point I can contribute to the build knowledge.

Bear with me - I work slowly and methodically. I'm familiar with doing restorations but the "build from component parts" thing is new to me so I'm sure to ask some stupid questions.

Here are some photos of the delivery and my Lotus car club (Lotus Owners Oftha North - LOON) friends helping with the unpacking:

Dave L

Attachments

• HPIM1005.jpg
    HPIM1005.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 863
  • HPIM1007.jpg
    HPIM1007.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 880
  • HPIM1036.jpg
    HPIM1036.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 729
  • HPIM1044.jpg
    HPIM1044.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 794
  • Pat & Dave Carrying Front 2.jpg
    Pat & Dave Carrying Front 2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 800

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
It turns out I had to do a lot of work to the pole building to bring it up to code to allow me to heat the space. I've now completed the required work (you DON'T want to know!) but still need to tape the seams and paint to finish it off the drywall so excuse the way it looks in the photos. Anyway, I'm now able to work on the car with the limited time I have available.

One of the first things I did was remove all of the body panels though I have not yet removed the main tub. Fran notified me of a change to the rear suspension that included billet shock mounts and billet rocker arms which were sent to me at no charge. The conversion requires the removal of the original rocker arm and two new holes to be drilled, one each in the solid aluminum vertical chassis member. The hole size is 1/2". The shock mount fits tightly over the aluminum chassis and one hole matches with the top hole for the tubular steel X-support. The second hole was drilled by first using a transfer punch to mark the center of the hole on both sides of the upright. I then used a drill guide with sequentially larger drill bits (started with 1/8") to achieve the 1/2" hole. See photos below....

Attachments

• SLC Rear Shock Mount on Rear of Upright Close-up.jpg
    SLC Rear Shock Mount on Rear of Upright Close-up.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 601
  • SLC Rear Shock Mount Drill Guide in Place.jpg
    SLC Rear Shock Mount Drill Guide in Place.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 689
  • SLC Rear Shock Mount Hole Drilled!.jpg
    SLC Rear Shock Mount Hole Drilled!.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 579

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Since taking delivery of my car RCR had already upgraded the rear suspension and Fran sent me two new re-designed upper A-arms. These were a straight forward bolt-in replacement.

I'm installing a GM LS-3 crate engine. Initially, I was planning on using a G50 gearbox but have since decided to go with the Ricardo. You can find my never installed G50 in the "Garage Sale" area of the forum.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm probably not taking the most logical (or efficient) approach to the build but I'm doing things as they come up and as they make sense at the time. My next step will be to cut some holes in the fiberglass - headlights (hi and low-beams), turn signal lights, tail lights, dash vents, and air scoops. I probably won't do the windshield or engine cover cut-outs yet. More to come....

Regards,
Dave L

Great to see some photos Dave!

I see you went away from the G50 as well. I found a pretty good deal on a Ricardo and made the decision to change gearboxes last week. I put my G50.50 up for sale as well. I guess I can always keep the G50.50 for the next build......

BTW, you've already contributed before you turned a wrench.

Dave, Nice to see another SLC build log out there. Pretty soon we may need our own chapter. Hard to tell from the pics, what type of rims do you get?

Also, if you are cutting the headlight holes, i think Fran is coming up with a new mounting scheme. Might be a little easier. I guess it won't effect the hole size but dunno.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys - it took me some time to get started but I hope to keep the building moving consistently forward.

Doc - Yes, I also found a Ricardo for a decent price. I think the G50 would be just fine but many of Fran's initial parts are designed around the Ricardo since that appears to be the gearbox most owners are going with. I also like the idea that if I ever decide to go for more power out of the LS3 that I'll have no worries about the gearbox being able to handle it. Have you looked into buying a clutch yet? I'm sure the stock unit is available from Ford but I found a clutch from Stillen that looks very good and promises shorter pedal travel. Price is a little steep though.

Cam - They are the stock rims from a Corvette. Black centers with a polished rim. I like the wheels but will have to do something about the Corvette center cap! RCR centers would be nice. Funny you should mention the headlight mounts because Fran just sent me some photos of prototype parts for the headlights and tail lights this morning. It sounds like they're ready to go into production. I don't think they will affect the hole sizes though - just how the lights are mounted. Speaking of the hole sizes are the headlight openings on your car all 3.5" dia? I want to be sure before I start drilling. I only have one set of lights at the moment or I wouldn't ask.

Regards,
Dave L

Dave both HL sets from RCR are 90mm in dia but the holes in the body are different sizes, outboard outlines and bezels are smaller. I chose to purchase 60mm high beam units that better fit the hole. But many are using the dual 90s with success from what I can tell.

I think I would wait for Fran's new mounting part before doing anything as mounting these things without some sort of factory part is a pain.

PS I would have taken a Ricardo at a good deal price too, the price I paid for being first I guess ...... <wimper>

At least a few more P gearboxes will be out there for other who need them.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
A little progress today....short on time unfortunately.

I cleaned up the chassis holes I drilled yesterday, drilled the dash vent holes, and trial fit the engine mounts to the block and the chassis.

Drilling holes in fiberglass always makes me a little nervous so I thought I'd start with the dash which will end up being covered eventually. Painter's tape was applied over the drill area to help prevent splintering. A 3" cut-off disc was used to locate the center of the hole and a 1/16" pilot hole was drilled. The hole size is 2.5" and with a 1/2" drill the holes were done in no time.

For those with LS engines I found the LS3 engine mount thread to be M10-1.50 X 35mm and 6 bolts are required. For the mount to the chassis I'm staying with the M10-1.50 but 50mm length and 2 bolts are required. The adapter plate to block bolts are M10-1.50 X 45mm allowing for a flat washer and lock washer and 6 are required.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• SLC Dash Air Vent Cutting - Locating Center Hole.jpg
    SLC Dash Air Vent Cutting - Locating Center Hole.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 546
  • SLC Dash Air Vent Hole Cut.jpg
    SLC Dash Air Vent Hole Cut.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 518
  • SLC Dash Air Vent Nozzle Installed.jpg
    SLC Dash Air Vent Nozzle Installed.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 518

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave both HL sets from RCR are 90mm in dia but the holes in the body are different sizes, outboard outlines and bezels are smaller. I chose to purchase 60mm high beam units that better fit the hole. But many are using the dual 90s with success from what I can tell.

I think I would wait for Fran's new mounting part before doing anything as mounting these things without some sort of factory part is a pain.

PS I would have taken a Ricardo at a good deal price too, the price I paid for being first I guess ...... <wimper>

At least a few more P gearboxes will be out there for other who need them.

Thanks Rob - I thought from looking at your build log that the lights on your car are different sizes. The body openings are definitely different in size and the 3.5" hole saw will fit in the outer recess but its tight - works fine in the inboard recesses.

The photos of the prototypes look slick - all fiberglass and it would appear they are just 'glassed to the underside of the body.

Dave L

You'll have many fun fun fun months ahead. Good to see you've upgraded to a Ricardo, you'll definately be pleased with it. Plus now you can help out a GTM owner by selling your g50x to them.....they need all the help we can give them ;)

Good progress Dave! I have just finished laying out my cooling tubes (2 part both port & starboard. 6 x 45 deg., 2 x 180 deg., 2 x 90 deg bends, 2 x 3 ft. straight sections of 1.5" 16ga 6061 aluminum (Columbia River Mandrel Bending) After cutting, only had about 11 inches of straight tubing left over (in pieces). Hoses are: 1 meter straight silicone Coolant hose, cut to length as needed, 1 x 90 deg. 1.5" to 1.25" 90 deg. adapter hose and another 1.5" 90 deg. hose does it (Pegasus Racing).
Did the rear shock mount mod today too. Changed a few fasteners as well.
Great idea using a cutoff disc to locate the center on the dash vents. Keep up the good work!

Jack

Last edited:
You're a crafty devil Dave with that cut off disc idea. :thumbsup:

I purchased the clutch assembly from Max at FiveStar Ford in Scottsdale, AZ for $2400 "all in". In stock and should arrive this week.

Jack, let's see your cooling tubes when you're done.

Doc,
Have to get them beaded and welded up. Used mailing tube sections & tape to hold the tubing sections together before marking them for welding. No TIG or beading machine here so have to farm this out. Have a guy about 2 hours drive that will do the TIG work FOC, but still looking for a local shop that has a bead roller. I'll happily send pic's when done.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Alex - if you know anyone in need of a G50 send them my way!

Jack - Thanks for the info on the coolant tubes. Like Doc I'd love to see a couple of photos of your install when you get the tubes back.

Doc - Regarding the cut-off wheels I was just searching around the shop for something that would work to center the hole and the 3" discs were perfect - dumb luck! The Stillen/AP Racing clutch is ~$1900 but its just the clutch assembly. Was Max your nearest source?

Regards,
Dave L

Jack,

Don't want to slow you down. If you pay the shipping I'll send my bead roller to you to use. Really easy to use!

Fran recommended Max. I did do a quick internet search of "local" Ford houses but no luck on available parts. But I'm sure someone in DFW area would have had them if I tried harder to locate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great to see you making forward progress Dave!

I know how life can get in the way of our projects... Mine seems to be a constant struggle..

I wish I could afford to pick up one of those new Ricardo transaxles. I'll have to be happy with my G50 for now..

The Taxes are done and so is my wallet.. :furious:

Dave,

If you don't have a 3" disc lying around you could always draw two "cord" lines through the circle, take 1/2 of each cord width and draw a line perpendicular to the cord toward the center of the circle from those points. They will intersect in the center. :idea:

Back