Clive's Scratchbuild

Inspired by Paul W's log, I will post some photos of progress on my build. The basis is a chassis I commissioned about 23 years ago, its measurements based on a KVA chassis of that vintage. It took years to deliver, but eventually arrived, with a body similar in quality to the Curate's egg. Much work still required.

Work has proceeded sporadically over the years, but last Xmas I decided to extract the digit.

The photos show remakes of the floor, sill panels and internal panelling. The original sills were fibreglass, but of such poor quality they have been replaced by alloy items. Quite proud of the handywork, but some tidying up is still to occur.

Attachments

• DSCF0127.jpg
    DSCF0127.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,231
  • DSCF0128.jpg
    DSCF0128.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,139
  • DSCF0129.jpg
    DSCF0129.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,212
That chassis looks rather good, solid and strong without being clumsy. Keep rolling with the build, Clive, it is going to be an excellent car. I think your panelling is excellent.

Thanks Dalton.

No complaints about the chassis. Accurate to within a few mill, and only out where it really dosn't matter. The way the roll cage is built, I reckon I could drive under a semi and lift it off the ground.:laugh:

All suspension pickup points have had to be arrived at, and the suspension can be bolted in. Waiting on the spinners and drive pins from Vintage Wheels to confirm the exact location of the front uprights. All tack welded chrome moly arms/rose joints at this point, but very pleased with a total lack of bump steer on the front.

Clive

Clive:
I really like the scratchbuilds, yours has a great looking start. The mounting points for the suspension can be a challenge, but you seem to be in control of the situation.
Plenty of info here on the forum as far as what works and I suspect as soon as you've sorted that and you have a roller things will happen quickly.
Good luck
Phil

Being born with a touch of the Australian bush mechanic gene, here are some pics of the bump steer test on the front suspension.

Attachments

• DSCF0051.jpg
    DSCF0051.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 794
  • DSCF0052.jpg
    DSCF0052.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 712
  • DSCF0053.jpg
    DSCF0053.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 755
  • DSCF0055.jpg
    DSCF0055.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 913
  • DSCF0056.jpg
    DSCF0056.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,055
Adding a couple of pix to show the progress being made.

Couldn't resist the bling of the engine turned alloy I had made for the inner sills, but which became redundent with a design change. Will see how it goes on the centre tunnel and inner footwells.

The rear firewall is now almost fully panelled, just the rear window to go. All will be double panelled, and I will be using a product similar to Lizard Skin to reduce noise and heat. The window will be double glazed 6mm laminated glass.

Attachments

• DSCF0132.jpg
    DSCF0132.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 793
  • DSCF0133.jpg
    DSCF0133.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 824
A question for the wise.

I am proposing to run a vertical 'stack' of a 50mm SHS alloy tube and both radiator pipes down the centre tunnel. I have in mind the SHS at the bottom, with the coolant pipes above, separated by about 20mm air gap for the installation of insulation. I have in mind supporting this arangement at both ends, using welded spacer pieces.

Will the longitudinal expansion of the water pipes (38mmx 1.6mm wall) due to changing temperatures cause me any grief? I can see the potential for some mild banana shape to occur, but would this be severe enough to cause problems?

Clive

A couple of pics to show progress. I have a 'stack' through the central tunnel, comprising the 2 water coolant pipes, a 50 x 25mm rhs section and 4 x 16mm alloy tubes.

Planning for the rhs to carry the wiring and A/C lines, the other 4 to carry brake, clutch. accelerator and the water bleed to the rear catch tank.

Attachments

• DSCF0139.jpg
    DSCF0139.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 638
  • DSCF0140.jpg
    DSCF0140.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 685
Stefan, progress is continuing apace.

Internal panelling almost complete. The rear firewall window frame is with the glass guys for double glazing. Trying to work out what else is needed to be glued to the chassis before buttoning the panels up. Seatbelt mounts and gear lever support are in production.

Dalton, yep a really neat unit from Vintage Air, at a very reasonable price. You connect up hot and cold water, A/C lines in and out, and 12v, and the whole thing works. The controls are a work of art.:drunk:

Pedals are enroute from the States as we speak. Love the service from Car Shop Inc. (and their prices). Cost was $280 Aust (inc freight), compared with $1600, + freight,+ GST, for the equivelent item from one of our major Aust suppliers.:thumbsdown: A touch greedy.

Instruments will be ordered later this week. Cannot resist the SpeedHut offerings.:drunk:

Taken delivery of the ceramic balls for adding to the paint for insulation - similar to Lizard Skin's product. Lizard Skin don't seem to answer emails. About to test the sound deadening properties on the door into my machine room - will see what before and after noise readings are.

Wheels, spinners, pins, adapters AND a Genuine Yankee lead hammer have arrived. Quite happy with the 17" BRMs from Vintage wheels. Looking for a cheapish set of tyres for pushing around during the build, and to get through fruit and veg.

Clive

Last edited:
Had a recent spell with a bad back, which stopped the build cold.

Now back into it, and trying to think of all the bits that need to be welded to the chassis prior to sending it out for re-powdercoating. Most small service businesses in Oz close for 2-3 weeks over the Xmas/New year period, so while waiting for the powdercoaters to reopen I have finalised the suspension setup. Pics of the rear below, plus a shot of the car with the wheels on - couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 875
  • P1040022.jpg
    P1040022.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 726
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Uprights were manufactured locally for a Group C (similar to GT40) car which raced in the mid 90's. They use VW transporter half shafts, which appear huge, in aftermarket bearings. Stripped, the castings are very light. Using the VW stud pattern, I am waiting delivery of a set of discs from a VW R32(?) current model hot hatch, which should bolt straight up. 310 x 22mm, Wilwood calipers. The uprights have provision for a second set of calipers, which will be used for the handbrake.

Wheels are from Vintage wheels, 8 x 17 on the front, 10.5 x 17 on the rear. Love 'em.

Back