Dimi's at it again 108 & 109

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

This was as much a surprise to me as it may be to some of you.

After I finished Chassis 68 my lady, Simone, and I have enjoyed some great times driving this car.
On one trip to Wakefield Park Raceway for a bit of fun we were leaving to go south and I let my lady drive one of the road sections that I knew she would enjoy.

Unfortunately she enjoyed it too much and has been at me ever since to build her her own GT40.

I finally relented and at the same time my older son David also expressed a long term desire for a GT40.

I agreed to build one for Simone but told David that if he wanted one he would have to build it himself although with my guidance if required.

As a result the following photos show the outcome.

We are now underway and because we are building two GT40's I decided that a Chassis Rotisserie would make life easier for the under car work in the earlier stages so I have just finished building one and have 109 on it.

These 2 new 40's will be identical to my 40 with the possible exception of power steering for Simone's car as she finds the steering a little heavy at slow or parking speed.

Progress photos will come as the builds continue.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0399.jpg
    PICT0399.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 683
  • PICT0398.jpg
    PICT0398.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 693
  • PICT0397.jpg
    PICT0397.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 626
  • PICT0396.jpg
    PICT0396.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 623
  • PICT0395.jpg
    PICT0395.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 635
  • PICT0394.jpg
    PICT0394.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 571
  • PICT0391.jpg
    PICT0391.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 597
Well done, Dimi! Your car is truly an inspirational car. I'm very impressed that your lady enjoys it (most women will ride in them, but not want to drive or own one). She is definitely a keeper.

Your building skills will be getting quite honed up by the time you've finished this lot. Good work.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dimi, you really are the consummate masochist !!! It was bad enough to fall in with us other crazy guys & build a 40, but to sign up again (twice over) is a real worry !!

But wait, it all starts to make sense - anyone who goes scuba-diving with sharks & throws himself out of perfectly good aeroplanes is just the sort of guy who would line himself up for another double stoush with the RTA nazis !!!

Seriously though, hindsight will be your friend with these projects - you have "been there, done that", so all the technical issues should be easy. Just start saving for the hire of Wakefield Park raceway for the brake tests - it looks like Jim C has copped the start of a new "initiative" from the RTA on brake tests. After giving you such a hard time with #68, then losing the battle against Darryl P & Trevor B, they have obviously got the sh*ts & figured out another way to give us ICV builders a hard time !

Love the rotisserie - it would have made my build a whole lot easier !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Dimi,
Good luck with the new builds.
Are you going to be using the new Koyote engines?
Pass the old 40 to your son and bung in a new supercharged Koyote (about 1 million horse power and a zillion torques) in the new 40, guaranteeing you will be first on trackdays....

Cheers, Gus.

Last edited:
Hi Dimi,
It would have been cheaper to fit power steer to yours and cut another set of keys man.
After all "dont they own half of everything ???" Whats yours is now mine.
Built mine in 2002-2004 and never another ICV.Good luck with the build/s but do your homework as I know you will.NSW RTA just do not want Hot Rods or ICVs on their roads.
Vic Roads are much more friendlier.
I am now back to early 60s Fords.Much easier and can leave lefthook.
Cheers mate.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

One of the problems with a GT40 is in trying to find ways to get wiring and other things from front to rear of the car both during construction and especially after the car is finished without having to pull things apart.

As with #68 I have installed 3 one inch conduits on both sides through the chassis which allow cabling and permanent access from front to rear which is easily accessible any time.

I have also fitted a one inch conduit across through the chassis for the fuel pipe which will provide the cross feed between the fuel tanks.

These conduits can be used for anything needed front to rear and don't interfere or reduce space for fuel tanks or using space in the transmission tunnel that is needed for other things.

Also a photo of young David who will be building 108 as I build 109.
Since we picked up the new chassis I can't get the smile off his face.
It will be a good learning curve for him.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0400.jpg
    PICT0400.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 498
  • PICT0401.jpg
    PICT0401.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 455
  • PICT0402.jpg
    PICT0402.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 488
  • PICT0403.jpg
    PICT0403.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 474
  • PICT0404.jpg
    PICT0404.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 445
  • PICT0406.jpg
    PICT0406.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 472
  • PICT0160.jpg
    PICT0160.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 612
Dimi,
Very smart the idea of the conduit. I accomplished the same idea when I ran the vent lines for the fuel tanks. I put one at each end of the tanks and wanted only one outlet, so they are linked. Wish I had thought of it when I first started my build.

Bill

I'm doing the same on the SL-C. Don't forget to place an extra "pull" wire in the conduit to pull extra wire through if needed or for repair.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

Time for a build update.

As previously mentioned 108 is being built primarily for my lady, Simone, to drive and as such one of the requirements was for power steering.

After some research a power steering rack out of a 96 Toyota van was chosen as this is a very rugged rack and the track width is perfectly suited to the DRB with Corvette suspension and as I am using the steering column out of the same van all will mate together nicely.

The only thing required to make this fit was a couple of simple brackets to fit the Toyota mounting rubber in the stock method.

The next thing was to fabricate some mounting brackets for the radiator to allow the use of GM soft mount rubber donuts to avoid any stress to the radiator due to vibration or chassis flex.
I had a friend of mine build the radiator out of brass and copper to enable it to be repaired easily should it be required, unlike alloy radiators which are difficult if not impossible to repair.

I fabricated an alloy coolant overflow tank with the addition of a sight glass in the side to allow easy checking of coolant level.
Beside that is mounted the charcoal cannister for the fuel tank breather system.

In the rear chassis suspension void is the fuel surge tank along with the mounting plate for the high and low pressure fuel pumps.

The photos below detail the above progress.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0410.jpg
    PICT0410.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 430
  • PICT0411.jpg
    PICT0411.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 425
  • PICT0412.jpg
    PICT0412.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 420
  • PICT0413.jpg
    PICT0413.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 401
  • PICT0414.jpg
    PICT0414.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 430
  • PICT0415.jpg
    PICT0415.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 408
  • PICT0416.jpg
    PICT0416.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 421
  • PICT0417.jpg
    PICT0417.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 411

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

Time to update some more progress.

Life has been getting in the way of our builds, as usual, but things are progressing.

When having 109 and 68 standing side by side it almost looks like 109 is a GT due to lack of motor and transaxle which makes it look higher and bigger than 68, although they will be totally identical when finished including colour.

The wheels are 17 inch with Corvette C5 brakes which really fill the wheels out.
Front wheels are 9 inch and the rears are 12 inch with Pirelli rubber.
Wheels are Simmons as per 68.
The DRB alloy upright was polished and all the suspension and brakes are finished.
The axles in the rear upright were custom made to suit Commodore CV axles which are the same bolt pattern as as a G50.

Headlights are in and the steering is all finished.
Some of the wiring has begun.
Radiator, cooling pipes, shroud and fan are in.
Body work has begun.
Internal door panels are made and fitted.
Dash has been cut for all the instruments.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0578.jpg
    PICT0578.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 372
  • PICT0579.jpg
    PICT0579.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 351
  • PICT0580.jpg
    PICT0580.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 361
  • PICT0581.jpg
    PICT0581.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 341
  • PICT0582.jpg
    PICT0582.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 383
  • PICT0583.jpg
    PICT0583.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 371
  • PICT0584.jpg
    PICT0584.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 391
  • PICT0585.jpg
    PICT0585.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 330
  • PICT0586.jpg
    PICT0586.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 421
You are going very well, Dimi. Looks good. Incidentally, I believe Simmonds Wheels shut down some time ago, so are these NOS?
Where do you find room on the V8 to drive a power steering pump? Pretty crowded I would have thought.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dalton.

Simmons Wheels are in production again as they were bought out by Tempe Tyres here in Sydney.

There was no NOS left as my wheels were made to special order to suit my requirements specifically and my wheels will not fit anything else.

These wheels were ordered 12 months ago and were only delivered one week ago.

Dimi

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

Things have been a little slow while waiting for our transaxle to be made but as the enclosed pic's show things are finally moving.

I had California Motor Sports prepare the transaxle by converting for inverted running, total recondition, shortening the G50 rear housing, adding a cable side shift, taller 4th and 5th, installing LSD, adding KEP adapter plate, clutch, flywheel, and gear reduction starter motor.

All of this arrived last week and now allows me to continue with the build as I have been under pressure from the other half as she wants her 40 finished.
She has even been sitting in her's and making brooom brooom noises,
and can't wait till she can fire up the motor.

I knew I shouldn't have let her drive mine the first time.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0961.jpg
    PICT0961.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 324
  • PICT0962.jpg
    PICT0962.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 298
  • PICT0963.jpg
    PICT0963.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 295
  • PICT0964.jpg
    PICT0964.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 302
  • PICT0965.jpg
    PICT0965.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 327
  • PICT0966.jpg
    PICT0966.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 299
Nice to get big components.
I had a good chat to your wife today , she is excited.

She is learning you dont need shoes and handbags,What you need is a transaxle.

Jim

Back