Scratch Build Information

OK, I am now seeing many "scratch" builders who, it appears, are building their GT 40s from the ground up. Looks to me that if you have the proper welding skills, jigs, etc..., that this might be the cheapest way to go (initially). I'd love to be able to buy a CAV, Tornado, RCR kit, but due to the profession I chose, cannot afford to spend that much money at one time, however; I could spread my cost out over time. Well, my question is: Where can I get plans or a scratch build kit, etc... for bulding a GT 40 from the ground up? I'm talking about welding the chassis myself, then purchasing the other components as funds would allow. Currently, I own a Lotus Turbo Esprit (I'm a big fan of longitudally mounted mid-engine cars - Boxer Berlinettas, Esprits, Countachs', T-70s, and the best of 'em all, the GT 40). In fact, I bought the Lotus to hold me over 'til I could afford a GT 40 kit. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to start a build as soon as I could and would even sell the Lotus to get the funds to get started.
Thanks

Hi

I'm in a similar position, looking at potentially doing a scratch build. If you take a look here Rene has provided the plans for his scrach build. I'm in the process of re-creating his chassis in google sketch up so I can get a better 3D feel of it. I'll post on here when I've finished it....

Cheers
James

Hey, definitly will do!
Thanks!
Metal work is not difficult for me. I worked for Westinghouse years ago (where I did make big bucks) and fabricated (some design work, too) one-off and custom assemblies and parts. Also, I'm a better than average mechanic and have done extensive work on Mercedes-Benzes. I think I could do a scratch build.
Thanks again.

Mark, James

I am glad to see that my drawings are confirming new scratch-builders vocations !

Budget wise, I am presently on the objective of 20/25 K€, engine, gear box and body included ; but this budget needs to build every part you can : Uprights, suspensions , etc ...

Of course, you will have to "appropriate" the drawings and re-check every sizing related to : Your body, your engine, your gear box etc ...

I wish you the best for your projects and feel free to ask for any questions....

René

Thanks. I'm actually getting excited now. I figure I'd build the frame and anything else that I couldn't buy first. I know I'll need to purchase the body (and of course engine, tranny, wheels, etc...). I just couldn't fork out $25,000.00 - $50,000.00 up front for a kit. Plus, the satisfaction of doing as much as possible yourself. BTW, I live in South Carolina, pretty much where NASCAR got started (even though I can't stand NASCAR), so having an engine turned into a racing monster, in the tradition of Keith Craft, won't be hard (or expensive) to do around here.
I figure I could build the frame, purchase what I need as I go, then when I get the funds, do the engine, transmission, and body. Hey, if I run out of money, put it aside 'til I can afford something else.
Rene', I'll be in touch. Thanks again.

A wise man with lots of experience has written good advice . It is dated 7-6-08 post # 5. His name is Fred W.B. from Canamsa fame. I would like to suggest that before anybody starts to weld pieces of steel together that he/ she go and read and understand what Fred was saying.

Z.C.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Z.C. -- Is the following the post you are referring to? (from http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/25674-building-replica-3d-model.html)

(finding a post knowing just the date and the author is not easy, does not uniquely identify the post).

"A friend of mine who is not big on literature research is talking about starting a scratch build mid-engined full body sports/race car project, and in conversation with him I am reminded of things I have learnt during the process of my build so far.

I note below some of my thoughts on how to approach a project like this. I understand that the below is spelt out in much greater detail in various excellent books and websites and is being discussed on other threads, I post it here as a summarized version. If I had followed these recommendations when I started, I would have saved myself considerable time, hassle and expense.

When starting out at least do the following, in this order:

Decide what the car is going to look like, i.e what body shell, if not original. This also determines wheel base dimension and the width over wheels. i.e determine the wheel positions.
If original body, decide on at least the front and rear track, wheel base can be adjusted.
Decide on what tyres you will use, exact width and profile, and procure if you are serious.
Decide on what hubs/uprights/steering rack you will use and procure/make if you are serious
Decide on what rims/offset you will use and procure if you are serious
Decide on what engine and transmission you will use and procure if you are serious.
Position all above parts on garage floor or build table and sort ergonomics – where do you fit?

If you are going to draw up in cad, finalize the position of all above parts in your model only now.
All the above could be an iterative process, but please complete it BEFORE you start the chassis.

Design suspension – if you are not going to do the research to enable you to do this yourself the only options are:
Get someone else to do it for you
Copy an existing car, strictly only valid if using that cars uprights/hubs/wheels/tyres.
Guess

Once you know where the inner suspension points are, you can design the chassis, to accommodate all above. CAD / balsa model / cut and tack on build table are all valid methods, but best results would be obtained by combining them. Please do not start with a Locost chassis and try to modify it to accommodate a RWD drive train. "

Alan, Yes exactly. Especially from "" When starting out at least do the following, in this order!! ""

Z.C.

Very good advice. And after all, the reason we're all here is to help one another, right? I readily accept any help, advice, correction, or direction any one is willing to offer me.

Back